Common searches

Having some Roland fun!

Topic actions

First post, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've started to record some of my favorite retro tracks using a Roland SC-88 Pro.

I'm uploading them to Youtube when i can. If you guys want something recorded, please ask and i'll try to upload.

First ones are from Rise of the Triad. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqwXdVuFDlfWh … A?feature=watch

Reply 1 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got an SC-88 (non-pro, as I just wanted something that was an SC-55MkII or newer), and love it for old DOS games.

I think the best-sounding game on the SC-88 in SC-88 mode (as opposed to SC-55 mode) that I've encountered is Descent.

Reply 2 of 33, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah, yes, Descent. Add a good, deep-sounding sub-woofer with the Sound Canvas setup while playing Descent / Descent II, and you'll really "feel" the game.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 3 of 33, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I've got an SC-88 (non-pro, as I just wanted something that was an SC-55MkII or newer), and love it for old DOS games.

I think the best-sounding game on the SC-88 in SC-88 mode (as opposed to SC-55 mode) that I've encountered is Descent.

Malik wrote:

Ah, yes, Descent. Add a good, deep-sounding sub-woofer with the Sound Canvas setup while playing Descent / Descent II, and you'll really "feel" the game.

Damn, i don't have any Descent version... 🙁

Reply 4 of 33, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sprcorreia wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Malik wrote:

Damn, i don't have any Descent version... 🙁

Download the shareware version. Not very hard to find on a Google search 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 7 of 33, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd like to hear how Blackthorne sounds on this. I'm not sure what soundcard the game was originally composed for, but I suspect it's SC-55 or SC-88.

There's a demo here.
http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Blackthorne.html

Would be mostly interested in the title, intro and first level.

My AdLib recordings

Reply 8 of 33, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Teppic wrote:
I'd like to hear how Blackthorne sounds on this. I'm not sure what soundcard the game was originally composed for, but I suspect […]
Show full quote

I'd like to hear how Blackthorne sounds on this. I'm not sure what soundcard the game was originally composed for, but I suspect it's SC-55 or SC-88.

There's a demo here.
http://www.classicdosgames.com/game/Blackthorne.html

Would be mostly interested in the title, intro and first level.

Video uploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYdhh5RjSuY

Reply 9 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds nice.

I always forget about Blackthorne. I always figured Blizzard ripped off Flashback to make it, around the same time they ripped off Dune 2 to make Warcraft 1. Not that their games weren't good though 😀

Reply 12 of 33, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It sounds weird with a DB50-XG ... 🤣

edit , found why
for some reason the music at the cinematic intro does not work with a p1/200 , you need to use a slowdown utility to make it work... but then you have music playing sloooow ... the p1's default speed is too much apparently and the music sounds weird because it plays faster ... meh

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 13 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've played System Shock 1 on my SC-88. It sounds dramatically different in SC-88 mode than it does in SC-55MkII mode. I can't remember which I preferred in the end.

@keropi: I don't know what sprcorreia's setup is, but I use my synths with DOSBox and Windows 7, via a USB-MIDI adapter cable.

Reply 14 of 33, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

I've played System Shock 1 on my SC-88. It sounds dramatically different in SC-88 mode than it does in SC-55MkII mode. I can't remember which I preferred in the end.

@keropi: I don't know what sprcorreia's setup is, but I use my synths with DOSBox and Windows 7, via a USB-MIDI adapter cable.

For video grabbing i use my modern PC running DOSBox, Fraps, a Roland UM-ONE adapter and the Roland MT-32, SC-155 and SC-88 Pro.

Reply 15 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Looks like the UM-ONE might be pretty new? I bought an older-generation M-Audio MIDISPORT Uno, but I briefly replaced it with a EMU (Creative) Xmidi 1x1 Tab because M-Audio was taking forever to release 64-bit Windows 7/Vista drivers.

Unfortunately, the Xmidi had issues passing SysEx properly to my MT-32. Fortunately, M-Audio finally released their Uno drivers by the time I realized what was going on, so I was able to switch back. The Uno works perfectly as far as I can tell, and Creative still wants me to jump through hoops to prove to them that the Xmidi is broken.

Reply 16 of 33, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Looks like the UM-ONE might be pretty new?

Yes, it's recent and a bit expensive, but i can't complain. It worked flawless since i got it.

Reply 19 of 33, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Teppic wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:

Thank you, friend 😀

No problem, i hope that's what you wanted.