amiga

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 25, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I find the majority of the Amiga community to be as annoying and elitist as the Apple community.

Amigans were too busy bashing the Atari ST back then to even give a poop about Macs 🤣... Mac owners were (and maybe still are?) an entirely different breed altogether and were best avoided back then 😁.

Stojke wrote:

Amiga 500 can play a video with sound using its 7MHz Motorola CPU.
What else from 1980s can do that? 😀

The Amiga is a bit more complex than that... It had a complete custom chipset that included the 7MHz Motorola 6800 CPU, CIA chips, Gary, Paula, Denise and Agnus chips (Fat Agnus with later ECS models). It was quite an advanced beast for a home computer released way back in 1987 😉.

Reply 21 of 25, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:

I find the majority of the Amiga community to be as annoying and elitist as the Apple community.

Okay, well I had an Amiga 2000 (which worked, even when I threw it out). So yeah I know big mistake. But anyway I grew up around the Amiga in the 1990´s since I was a member of a local computer club, that had quite a few Amiga computers , which were an Amiga 500, an Amiga 1200 and possibly also an Amiga 600. And then they had two C64´s and one C128.
So that you call the community a bunch of Elitists people, then you have not experienced a DDOS attack , like I did on a forum(years ago). Where we were not elitist beings, but we had our differences with a neo geo forum..

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Now we get to relive the 16-bit wars all over again.

Screw Amiga! Atari ST forever!

*runs away before shitstorm starts* 🤣

No worries, I think the rules of engagement on vogons keeps us in check from going nuts like that, but sadly other times the slowness of other things, keeps us agitated. And also I knew it was a joke, but USA did not have the Amiga craze like Europe had. And Japan had its Sharp X68000 which was actually better than the Amiga when it came to arcade ports. No I am NOT a "fan boy". I am just stating the obvious. And they used the same CPU as the Amiga and some of the Apples back then.

Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Seriously, though, I have an Amiga 500... It's quite fun to mess around with, and makes ya realize just how crappy some of the PC ports of games were. But I definitely agree that the Amiga community is kinda shit these days. Some groups are alright, but for a lot of 'em, the comparison with Mac fanboyism doesn't even begin to describe the level of jaw-dropping douchetardery that pervades the ranks.

Until now, I have not really experienced that on the only Danish Amiga forum/web page . But maybe it is because they are a bit old and quite grey 😜 But they are a cool bunch. But yeah elitism and fanaticism is bad within everything. And believe me, I know that cause I have experienced it many places. Not just at computers, and well let us not go into Apple stuff, cause I am sick and tired of hearing about Steve Jobs, when in fact he stole/copied/was inspired by many other people. When he made "his" products.

PowerPie5000: It was a Motorola 68000 (you forgot a "0") 😀

Reply 22 of 25, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had both an Amiga (500 and 2000) and Atari ST 1040. Both had their merits.

The Amiga was easily superior in it's multimedia capabilities. Right out of the box it supported 32 color game graphics compared to the Atari's 16 color palette and pictures could go as high as 4096 in HAM mode. The Amiga had stereo sound and the Paula chip was much more capable than the sound chip on the ST.

Where the Atari ST shined was it's MIDI. It came with built in MIDI ports and there were a lot of really good MIDI applications for it. I can remember playing Ultima IV which output it's music to the MIDI ports on the ST version and running it through an Ensoniq Mirage sampler. It was amazing to hear that quality sound in a game, at the time where PC games were mostly beeps.

I found that for most games, the Amiga version was generally superior due to it's graphics and sound, though each system even back then had their exclusives or games that were never ported to the other system. For instance the ST had Oids, Star Raiders, Karateka, Sundog, MIDI Maze, and many more where the Amiga had exclusive titles such as the Shadow of the Beast series, Turrican, The Black Crypt, and also many that had both PC and Amiga versions such as Eye of the Beholder and Wing Commander, but not an ST version.

Reply 23 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:

I only really find them annoying anymore when they are competing with me for things like 68RC040 chips or 68881/68882 co-pro's for my Macs. 😠

Reply 24 of 25, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:
Amigans were too busy bashing the Atari ST back then to even give a poop about Macs :lol:... Mac owners were (and maybe still ar […]
Show full quote
luckybob wrote:

Amigans were too busy bashing the Atari ST back then to even give a poop about Macs 🤣... Mac owners were (and maybe still are?) an entirely different breed altogether and were best avoided back then 😁.

Stojke wrote:

Amiga 500 can play a video with sound using its 7MHz Motorola CPU.
What else from 1980s can do that? 😀

The Amiga is a bit more complex than that... It had a complete custom chipset that included the 7MHz Motorola 6800 CPU, CIA chips, Gary, Paula, Denise and Agnus chips (Fat Agnus with later ECS models). It was quite an advanced beast for a home computer released way back in 1987 😉.

And all three (Mac, Amiga, and Atari ST) user groups spent a lot of time bashing 286 PC's. 😁

Reply 25 of 25, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was surprised to learn the other day that apparently there are useable open-source replacements for the Amiga Kickstart ROM out there – meaning you can legally emulate an Amiga wherever you want. I reckon there would be a lot more classic Mac applications running on iOS and everywhere else by now were it not for the fact that (aside from Executor, which is sort of unusable) Macintosh emulation generally requires Apple's copyrighted ROMs.

But that's getting off topic. Apparently there's even a Javascript Amgia emulator now:
http://scriptedamigaemulator.net/