VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 65, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Errmmm...how about Comanche Maximum Overkill (1992)? It supports SVGA 640x480 high res.

I wish... Pretty sure comanche does not go beyond 320x200.

Duke Nukem 3D and Blood/Shadow warrior/Redneck Rampage supported up to VESA 1600x1200 IIRC.

TIE Fighter Collectors Edition for DOS does 640x480, very nice, but 1995 already.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 22 of 65, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

Duke Nukem 3D and Blood/Shadow warrior/Redneck Rampage supported up to VESA 1600x1200 IIRC.

One of the fun things about Ken Silverman's BUILD Engine is that it actually supported just about every VESA or Mode-X resolution you could throw at it. I once spent hours just trying out different combinations of Mode-X resolutions. I remember one time trying 360x360 Mode-X, and for some reason the CRT I was using would shrink the display in that mode. *shrugs*

Being able to manually set resolutions was kinda important too, since 640x480 has aliasing from the stretching going on, so you had to run 640x400 to ensure no aliasing would occur. (Presuming you had VESA 2.0 support, as I don't think 640x400 was supported prior. Could be wrong about that.)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 23 of 65, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

and then there's all those Moraff games that over-promoted their ability to scale up to exotic vendor-specific high resolutions...

Indeed, the first thing I thought of was Moraff's World (and probably its sequels).

Darned if I know why, as it's a rather ugly game, but tons of fancy resolution support.

Reply 24 of 65, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

Indeed, the first thing I thought of was Moraff's World (and probably its sequels).

Darned if I know why, as it's a rather ugly game, but tons of fancy resolution support.

Oh I can answer that easily. It was made by a PROGRAMMER. ;D

Being a game designer and programmer myself, I can tell you that game art is one of the hardest things I have to deal with in my projects, but I can make an engine that runs smooth as silk and glow effects that rival the quality of glow effects in other games, and still support every screen resolution you can think of in the process. ;)

The point being, as a programmer, the technical aspects of making graphics work in a game makes more sense to me than the artistic aspects of making them look good, and that's a trap a lot of programmers fall into when they try to make a game by themselves without artistic help, since there's many who are extremely talented as programmers but can't create a character sprite to save their life. ^_^;

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 25 of 65, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Being a programmer does have this strange 'i can do anything' delusion included with it. Believe me, as soon as I hacked colored lighting into an engine for dos, I had felt the sense of power that could inspire developing a high-end freeware dos game on my own. It was very hard to surpress this vow to waste time.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 26 of 65, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I had felt the sense of power that could inspire developing a high-end freeware dos game on my own. It was very hard to surpress this vow to waste time.

🤣...maybe if open sourced wouldn't be such a waste of time? 😜

Reply 28 of 65, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On the other hand, starcraft was released in 1998 and its resolution was 640x480, looks terrible at a time when games like total annilation was running 1024x768. its unbelievable the game was such a huge hit with such blocky graphics.

Reply 30 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:
Malik wrote:

Errmmm...how about Comanche Maximum Overkill (1992)? It supports SVGA 640x480 high res.

I wish... Pretty sure comanche does not go beyond 320x200.

Right. I think I got it confused with Extreme Assault.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 31 of 65, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regarding Starcraft.
A good thing was that every online player had the same view-size of the map. No unfair advantage for players with better hardware.

Currently there are unofficial resolution hacks available, Making the game more comfortable.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 32 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I thought THIS game ...

kq4-sci-dos-600.png

...was blocky. But I still enjoy it nontheless.

Whereas Starcraft ...

starcraft01.jpg

I DON'T like Starcraft that much, but Starcraft still looks good by any standards.

Reply 35 of 65, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stull wrote:
No way man, THIS game is blocky! […]
Show full quote

No way man, THIS game is blocky!

8MfdEEG.jpg

And to think, Pong was impressive as hell back in 1972 and the original home video game systems were all Pong based to some degree.

Reply 36 of 65, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, I still remember a white and black console my cousin had. It just played pong. It didn't matter when connected to the black and white tv those days. The game was in black and white anyway. It had these hard toggle switches on it. They control how difficult or easy you want the game to be.

Reply 37 of 65, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Frederik Pohl's Gateway (1992) has SVGA 640x480 256 colour support (as does the sequel, Gateway: Homeworld).

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net