Common searches

Getting hold of a K6-2+/K6-3+

Topic actions

Reply 80 of 96, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should be ok at 2.2V but I wouldn't go higher. I'm running my K6-3+ from 400 to 550 using a 110MHz FSB at 1.9V and it is rockstable.
I can't get it to work properly at 600 no matter what I try, perhaps you could use 5x110 if it's still unstable at 600MHz.

Reply 81 of 96, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Saddly the mb has a maximum fsb of 100,can't go any higher,as for voltage,the pc won't even start at the stock proc voltage of 2.0,i had to check the mb producers site to find out that on my revision of mb,it has to be set at 2.1,with 2.1 runs at 550 mhz no problem,runs even at 600 with ocasional instability.Ill give it a try then with 2.2 see how it goes.

Reply 83 of 96, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

You could always just stay at 550 anyway. The difference between 550 and 600 on a K6 processor is incredibly small :P.

I have 3 chips of various releases for the K6-III and K6-III+. If you look at page 42 of the Ultimate 686 Benchmark Comparison, you will see that a few tests I had to simulate for the K6-III+ at 600 MHz. 550 MHz was the fastest I could get the chip to run without any benchmark problems. The K6-2+, on the other hand, handled 600 MHz without any issue. The performance of a K6-III+ 550 was about that of a PII-400 in Quake2.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 84 of 96, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I updated the mainboard with a bios found here http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm ,in order to enable write alocation,but after patch i didnt find an option in bios to enable/disable write allocation,should there be an option ?or the patched bios just enables it,but doesn't add the option to disable it in bios?

Is there any difference in performance with write allocation enabled?

Last edited by Nahkri on 2013-02-28, 08:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 86 of 96, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got the answer from Jan and it seems that the pathched bios activates write allocation,once it detects a k6-2 or higher procesor and the performance increase it's about 10% as long as system ram its under 512 mb,it's lower with more then 512mb of ram.

Reply 87 of 96, by moskitta75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys I'm new here!
Happy to find people with a K6III+ working today...
One of my champions is a K6III+ that is running RocK SoliD @633!!!
It runs Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS with Compiz and full visual effects enabled.
CPU runs at 380 (Power Now! active and full supported by kernel) while moving cube desktop with a video...

If you want to get that performance you must get a Gigabyte GA5-AX mobo with BIOS F4. This mobo can get 110, 115, 120, 124, 130MHz of FSB.

But to get stability there is a mod to do on the mobo to cool down the power regulator.

AMD K6III+450ACZ nacked! @633 (FSB115x5.5)
Gigabyte GA5-AX Rev.5.1 L3 onboard enabled!
3x256MB PC133 CL2
GeForceFX5900-XT

Reply 88 of 96, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moskitta75 wrote:

... But to get stability there is a mod to do on the mobo to cool down the power regulator.

Can you please elaborate on that mod moskitta?

Let the air flow!

Reply 89 of 96, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
moskitta75 wrote:
Hi guys I'm new here! Happy to find people with a K6III+ working today... One of my champions is a K6III+ that is running RocK S […]
Show full quote

Hi guys I'm new here!
CPU runs at 380 (Power Now! active and full supported by kernel) while moving cube desktop with a video...

If you want to get that performance you must get a Gigabyte GA5-AX mobo with BIOS F4. This mobo can get 110, 115, 120, 124, 130MHz of FSB.

But to get stability there is a mod to do on the mobo to cool down the power regulator.

I find this incredibly hard to believe. Ubuntu 10.04 with compiz stutters even on much more modern hardware, let alone on something as lame as K6. I'd have to see it, to believe it. Videre credere est. Can you make a video or smth?

Reply 90 of 96, by Scylla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
moskitta75 wrote:
Hi guys I'm new here! Happy to find people with a K6III+ working today... One of my champions is a K6III+ that is running RocK S […]
Show full quote

Hi guys I'm new here!

I'm quite impressed too. In a rather modern Atom netbook, recent Ubuntu versions with Unity stutters a lot and even in a VM under a decent MacBook Air. I have either to disable visual effects altogether or install another distro.

And in the highly optimized PPC version of Ubuntu 10.04, even a Power Mac G4 1,25 GHz. with a Radeon 9000 has some trouble doing all the eye candy.

Reply 91 of 96, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
TheMAN wrote:

I guess I have
it's been many years since I messed with those chips

I have a K6-III 450 running in a 430TX board at 400mhz... it'll never be as fast as a Super7 board, but it's damned reliable at least!

There is a very good chance that you could run it at 450, or even 500 MHz in that board if you wanted to. See Tom's Hardware, http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/oldie-tuning,216.html

I upgraded my first computer in 2001 by that guide. I was poor, and that allowed me to use my existing case, PSU and memory, while really improving the performance over the VX board I had with an Evergreen/ IDT Winchip CPU. Yes, the PCI bus is overclocked, but that was never a problem. I also have an Asus TXP4 with a K6-III+ 400 that runs 500 MHz perfectly in that board, using one of Jan Steunebrink's BIOS.

Reply 92 of 96, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just threw together an old system over the weekend just for fun: a DFI K6VB3+, a K6-2+ 450 @600 (2.1 volts) a WD 40 gigabyte HD on a Maxtor/Promise ATA 133 drive card, 640 megabytes of PC133, a Philips PSC706 sound card, and a GF4 Ti 64 megabyte video card in an AT case. I installed XP pro - it doesn't run too badly, but it definitely shows its age compared to what I'm used to. I wish this board were capable of 112 MHz bus speeds, but its highest setting is 100, and I once tried some of the software for increasing the FSB by targeting the clock generator chip, but nothing worked. I have a 1.6 volt K6-III+ 400 that will run at 600 with 2.3 volts, but you begin to see heat artifacts when you play a DVD movie. That's in spite of the fact that I have a large copper bottomed Socket A cooler on it, running Arctic Silver 5. I could solve that by decapping the K6-III+, but I don't want to. Sadly, this board only has the 512 Meg cache chip on it - some of this model had 1024K L2 (of course, now L3) cache chips. An MVP3 board with 1024K L2, running a K6-3+ and the ability to overclock the FSB would be the ultimate Socket 7 machine. But it would only be for fun, as it's so obsolete. And I'll never have it; take a look at the prices some of this stuff is going for on Ebay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIC-VA-503-motherboar … =item48546dc322 Nice of them to throw in the free shipping! I'm now regretting my decision to not save the K6-2+ 550 that was in an old laptop I took to Ewaste a few months ago.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 93 of 96, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A GF2 is already enough for a K6-2+ system. Larger cache won't speed it up much, since it will be L3 cache only. SS7 K6 usually scales only good with FSB increase.
Still the gain is questionable for the risk or instabilities. Usually the chips are already close to the limits and don't overclock much.
Due to the short pipeline K6 scales well with older unoptimized code.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 95 of 96, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Repo Man11 wrote:

I just threw together an old system over the weekend just for fun: a DFI K6VB3+, a K6-2+ 450 @600 (2.1 volts) a WD 40 gigabyte HD on a Maxtor/Promise ATA 133 drive card, 640 megabytes of PC133, a Philips PSC706 sound card, and a GF4 Ti 64 megabyte video card in an AT case. I installed XP pro - it doesn't run too badly, but it definitely shows its age compared to what I'm used to. I wish this board were capable of 112 MHz bus speeds, but its highest setting is 100, and I once tried some of the software for increasing the FSB by targeting the clock generator chip, but nothing worked. I have a 1.6 volt K6-III+ 400 that will run at 600 with 2.3 volts, but you begin to see heat artifacts when you play a DVD movie. That's in spite of the fact that I have a large copper bottomed Socket A cooler on it, running Arctic Silver 5. I could solve that by decapping the K6-III+, but I don't want to. Sadly, this board only has the 512 Meg cache chip on it - some of this model had 1024K L2 (of course, now L3) cache chips. An MVP3 board with 1024K L2, running a K6-3+ and the ability to overclock the FSB would be the ultimate Socket 7 machine. But it would only be for fun, as it's so obsolete. And I'll never have it; take a look at the prices some of this stuff is going for on Ebay! http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIC-VA-503-motherboar … =item48546dc322 Nice of them to throw in the free shipping! I'm now regretting my decision to not save the K6-2+ 550 that was in an old laptop I took to Ewaste a few months ago.

Experience with WinXP would be bad even with a faster CPU on that slooow HDD. But this is what we used back then. I even have one Duron 1200MHz, 640MB and an old 40GB HDD unit... WinXP is loading really slowly.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 96 of 96, by moskitta75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A lot of time has passed and only now I read this 3D.
Sorry but found any advice in mail for reply.

Now my mobo needs a total caps change, it won't end the boot and some capacitors are popped 🤣

Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-5AX rev. 5.2 and to get it run K6III+ at 600 and over you must set jumpers and cool the power regulator upon the 4 bus jumpers.
To cool the power regulator you must unscrew it from mobo and set it vertically then take a big termal dissipator and screw it on power regulator with thermal compound. I used silver thermal compound to get better cooling.
Don't overvolt the CPU, 2.00 Volt are enough, for me overvolt didn't go better.
You can get 600, 633, 650MHz and over but make test because the bus speed over 112/115 are too high for other hardware first of all the Lan cards!
Ubuntu 10.04.4 has the last i585 CPUs compatible kernel.
When using Compiz the system works with the GPU instead of CPU and that is why CPU stays at 380MHz in Cool Now!

AMD K6III+450ACZ nacked! @633 (FSB115x5.5)
Gigabyte GA5-AX Rev.5.1 L3 onboard enabled!
3x256MB PC133 CL2
GeForceFX5900-XT