VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19055707

the first time I touched a Commodore 64 was in the late 80s, which was the already much improved one running off of 5.25" floppies... wasn't all that impressed at the time compared to the Mac Classic 🤣

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"about the only time you switch on a computer and want to see a blue screen". Went straight over their heads 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 15, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Personally, I think it's more ridiculous that I knew more about the computers we had in our classrooms in early elementary school than the teachers. :D

...UNTIL I ended up in classrooms with C64s in grades 7 and 8. That's what I get for learning DOS first. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 15, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My kid has it really easy, he eats, burps, and sleeps. Then again, he's only 2 months old 🤣 I'd love to see his reaction to some of my old computer hardware when he gets older. My fascination was all things "tape recorder." Also, tape drives on the C64. I've still got my dad's reel-to-reel with dubbings he made from the 60's. I also used to cut off the heads of cheap GI Joe knock offs with an empty reel by spinning the drive at high speeds. Mwahahaha

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 5 of 15, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well I look at kids these days I see a lot of them rocking core i3s and 68x0s or a gtx 560ti 😒
Kinda jealous to see some of them using a gtx 670 or a gtx680 that they didn't have to work for.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 15, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't see kids these days having the patience to learn how to load a program from floppy on a c64, let alone learn assembly and hardware hacking like we did back in the day 😁

c64ever!

Reply 7 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I have to disagree a little. Amonst my friends most ONLY knew how to load games on the C64 and that was the only thing they could do.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 15, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I say that you shouldn't be allowed to use a computer if you are unable to handle a text console.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 9 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This thread reminds me of Back To the Future 2 when Marty travels to the future and shows the kids how to play Wild Gunman and they look at him in disgust and say "You mean you have to use your hands? That's like a baby's toy."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMy1zO8m8sM

Reply 11 of 15, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can easily see this happening to me...in the future. How ironic. 😀

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 12 of 15, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

I say that you shouldn't be allowed to use a computer if you are unable to handle a text console.

Even though I started computing when the GUI revolution was in full swing, I fully agree with this. People think it's godlike how I can actually use the command line for stuff, but really it's nothing 😜

Reply 13 of 15, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been in college classes, where I would open up the command line. I was accused of HACKING by one of the pizza faced I.T. helpers at the lab.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 15, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The one thing I really like about command lines is how much easier it is to automate a bunch of commands, so you type in one thing and it triggers a bunch of others. 😁