VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 46, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of "books" there's something to consider.
Modern CD-ROM drives may or may not support legacy standards like Green Book (or White Book) forever.
It's no big deal for our DOS/Windows machines likely, but modern drive may not make up for a good replacement for a Philips CDi console. 😉
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Book_(CD_standard)

Another thing is the lack of analog/digital audio output on modern drives.
Games running on older OSes may issue playback commands to a CD-ROM drive,
so it would play music track on its own.

PS: Back in the day, my father's Mitsumi Lu-005 single-speed drive was the most compatible thing I knew.
It could read any CD-ROM I threw at it, including those multi-session/mixed-mode disks that the 2x drive of
my PAS16 and my father's CD player had trouble with..

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 41 of 46, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MAZter wrote on 2020-02-22, 16:09:

Reading ability depends more from the CD-R disc itself than from the drive.

Some old CD-Rom's read only Memorex and Fujifilm CD-R disks, but refuse Verbatim, TDK and other brands.

Exactly, I don’t remember any surefire way to predict what cdr is readable and when.

One company insisted on providing updates on cdr
My old 4x read them fine but the new 12x I had wouldn’t, occasionally roles were reversed

Back in the day cdrs could be a pain

Reply 42 of 46, by Plasma

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FYI most older CD drives have a pot inside that adjusts the laser power. You can tweak this to improve compatibility with CD-R and CD-RWs. But sometimes you will find the setting needed for CD-RW makes CD-ROMs no longer work...

Reply 43 of 46, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rmay635703 wrote on 2020-02-23, 02:25:
Exactly, I don’t remember any surefire way to predict what cdr is readable and when. […]
Show full quote
MAZter wrote on 2020-02-22, 16:09:

Reading ability depends more from the CD-R disc itself than from the drive.

Some old CD-Rom's read only Memorex and Fujifilm CD-R disks, but refuse Verbatim, TDK and other brands.

Exactly, I don’t remember any surefire way to predict what cdr is readable and when.

One company insisted on providing updates on cdr
My old 4x read them fine but the new 12x I had wouldn’t, occasionally roles were reversed

Back in the day cdrs could be a pain

Oh yes, indeed. Your comment made me shudder, it brought distant memories of "write simulation" and "JustLink" (buffer-underrun protection) back to life.
Another thing that I remembered.. Macintosh CD-ROM drives were pure evil. Especially hated the internal drive of ma iBook G3.
It refused to read CD-Rs, no matter what. Originals (pressed CD-ROMs) ran like a charm though. Makes me wonder if this behaviour was on purpose.

8x was the slowest my CD writers would handle, by the way. If it had been possible, I would have chosen 4x speed manually.
Anyway, my CD-Rs from ~2005 are still readable. Maybe because of storage. I kept them them in jewel cases in dark, sealed boxes filled with news paper.
Same goes for my father's 5.25" disquettes from ~1986. They are still fine. Just (~3 years ago) went to toilet with Leisure Suite Larry for testing purposes. 😉

PS: Our "bookware" (companion diskettes/CDs in books) are still fine, also.
Some of these books are from 1990 and before.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 44 of 46, by KCompRoom2000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2020-02-23, 08:19:

Oh yes, indeed. Your comment made me shudder, it brought distant memories of "write simulation" and "JustLink" (buffer-underrun protection) back to life.
Another thing that I remembered.. Macintosh CD-ROM drives were pure evil. Especially hated the internal drive of ma iBook G3.
It refused to read CD-Rs, no matter what. Originals (pressed CD-ROMs) ran like a charm though. Makes me wonder if this behaviour was on purpose.

Oh yeah, I remember having issues getting my iBook G3 Clamshells to read CD-R discs. Most of the time, it would think it was a blank disc (which is odd because the drive is a CD-ROM, not a CD-R burner), and once in a while it would work, but give up after a while. Made it impossible for me to reinstall the OS after upgrading the hard drive since original Mac OS 9 install CDs are very hard to find these days. Oddly enough, my Powerbook G3 Wallstreet (which is a year older than the Clamshells) could read burnt CD-Rs perfectly fine. I'd be willing to bet Apple used cheap CD drives in their early iBooks just like Compaq did with most of their computers back then.

Reply 45 of 46, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My 486 has a quad speed Creative drive from 1994 that’ll read most CD-Rs as long as they’re in immaculate condition. CD-RW is a big no-no.

It really makes you appreciate the newer drives that much more eh? My LG BDXL burner will happily read even the most scratched up DL DVD-RWs that I made with my first DVD burner back in 2006! In fact, it even revs up the spindle motor and reads them at high speed. Tech these days...:p

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 46 of 46, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, no doubt. I've got a little USB-powered Pioneer BDXL drive that is just an absolute champ.

This thread started 10 years ago, but FWIW, the combination of reader, writer, media, and (to a lesser extent) speed all contribute. There's no formula for this. I have used CD-Rs in many of my old 2x, 4x, 6x, 8x drives with no trouble, while the same disc in another random drive won't work at all. CD-RWs are pretty much a no-go unless the drive is a burner -- but my 6x HP CD-Writer (manufactured by Philips I think) does not like my 4x-10x RWs. It also struggled with a Verbatim disc burned on a good, reliable drives (either the Pioneer or one of my Plextors) but it happily read a Sony CD-R from a cakebox I bought around the same time. (Also about 10 years ago.) It's a crap-shoot. Try a different brand of disc at a lower speed and see what happens.