FPS games using a joypad

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 65, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

Well I'll put it this way: Deus Ex was pretty much the pinnacle of linear story-driven FPS, while most of Bethesda's RPGs are among the best (albeit buggiest) first-person exploration/sandbox/open-world RPGs.

Yeah that's how I see it.

I'm very curious about DX 3. Will it be terrible? Will it "offend the fans" (no matter what, it will 🤣). Will it be better than the original? Could be!

Reply 41 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Been watching the trailers for DX3, they look very cinematic and actiony. Haven't really seen any gameplay yet, though. I don't think they'll ever make something quite as good as the original, especially when developing it primarily for consoles. I've got my eye on it for sure, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

BTW, anyone know if Project Snowblind is any good? It was apparently going to be a billed as a spinoff of Deus Ex until DX2 bombed.

Reply 42 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

don't think they'll ever make something quite as good as the original, especially when developing it primarily for consoles.

Whys that? The game has the potential to be as good as the original no matter what platform it's developed for. Sure the graphics will be better on the PC version and some people prefer using a keyboard & mouse opposed to a joypad... but thats just down to personal preference. Just because it's going to be released on a console doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game (although i'm most likely gonna get it for the PC anyway 🤣).

HunterZ wrote:

BTW, anyone know if Project Snowblind is any good? It was apparently going to be a billed as a spinoff of Deus Ex until DX2 bombed.

I used to have it on the PS2 and it's actually quite a decent game... The graphics are certainly good for the PS2. I didn't get that "Deus Ex" feeling from it and never even knew it had anything to do with Deus Ex. Still worth a look though 😀

Reply 43 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

don't think they'll ever make something quite as good as the original, especially when developing it primarily for consoles.

Whys that? The game has the potential to be as good as the original no matter what platform it's developed for. Sure the graphics will be better on the PC version and some people prefer using a keyboard & mouse opposed to a joypad... but thats just down to personal preference. Just because it's going to be released on a console doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game (although i'm most likely gonna get it for the PC anyway 🤣).

It's not necessarily a console-versus-PC issue (although I do worry that developers who consider consoles to be a primary development platform might be more tempted to water down their games to appeal to even wider audiences). It's just that I've seen very few games that match the intensity/depth of its story, especially in the FPS genre, although I suppose cyberpunk is an easier sell than fantasy for me.

HunterZ wrote:

I used to have it on the PS2 and it's actually quite a decent game... The graphics are certainly good for the PS2. I didn't get that "Deus Ex" feeling from it and never even knew it had anything to do with Deus Ex. Still worth a look though 😀

I'll have to check it out at some point then.

Reply 44 of 65, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malik wrote:

I remember reading about some posts where the console joypad-jockeys boasting about how good they are using the joypads, and some even boast about defeating a keyboard-mouse combo user online, while playing a pc game with a joypad. Maybe they're good with the joypad. Or maybe they have played with a noob keyb-mouse user.

From this

There was a project that got killed at Microsoft. This project was designed to allow console gamers and PC gamers to interact and battle over a connected environment. Personally I wish it would have stayed the course. I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse. The console players got destroyed every time.

I guess Shadowrun is the only game that ever will use this feature.

Reply 45 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Freddo wrote:
Malik wrote:

I've heard from reliable sources that during the development they brought together the best console gamers to play mediocre PC gamers at the same game... and guess what happened? They pitted console gamers with their "console" controller, against PC gamers with their keyboard and mouse. The console players got destroyed every time.

Thats because the keyboard & mouse combo is piss easy to use... It's just point and click, nothing to it. People are wrong when they try and make out that PC gamers are better players. I'm getting very good at using a joypad for FPS games... going back to a keyboard and mouse seems like a walk in the park, it's just so damn easy with nothing to it! I've been a PC gamer for many years now and have built and owned many varieties of computers... Even i can see console gaming seems to be the way forward these days.

Also games do not get watered down on a console to appeal to a wider audience... there are plenty of violent 18-rated games on consoles that never got released on the PC (i don't consider these games "wide audience" material). Deus Ex 3 will turn out the way the developers want it, the only difference between platforms will be the graphics and maybe loading times.

Anyone who owns the best PC gamer by using a joypad is an absolute gaming God in my opinion!

Reply 46 of 65, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Malik wrote:

I remember reading about some posts where the console joypad-jockeys boasting about how good they are using the joypads, and some even boast about defeating a keyboard-mouse combo user online, while playing a pc game with a joypad. Maybe they're good with the joypad. Or maybe they have played with a noob keyb-mouse user.

a month or two ago there was a story going around that Microsoft had experimented with letting Xbox and PC gamers play against one another, and even average PC gamers with keyboard+mouse were slaughtering top-tier Xbox players with joypads. MS pulled the plug on the experiment. 🙄

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 47 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hater Depot wrote:
Malik wrote:

a month or two ago there was a story going around that Microsoft had experimented with letting Xbox and PC gamers play against one another, and even average PC gamers with keyboard+mouse were slaughtering top-tier Xbox players with joypads. MS pulled the plug on the experiment. 🙄

Exactly... the keyboard & mouse is easy for anyone to use when it comes to FPS games. Gamers using keyboard & mouse have an unfair advantage when put up against gamers using joypads. Some PS3 and Xbox 360 gamers use a keyboard & mouse but surprisingly don't always win (although they do have a big advantage).

Reply 49 of 65, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PowerPie5000 wrote:
digitaldoofus wrote:

As for the Dreamcast, it has many more worthwhile games, in my opinion. So, it's tempting....

Both the Shenmue games were absolutely fantastic on the DC! I just want Sega to make up their mind with the 3rd game. I don't really care much for "Shenmue Town" on mobile/cell phones unless it gets a console release... I can't stand gaming on a phone 😒

Sega has already made up their minds regarding Shenmue 3. It ain't happening.

Reply 50 of 65, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
olemogamer wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
digitaldoofus wrote:

As for the Dreamcast, it has many more worthwhile games, in my opinion. So, it's tempting....

Both the Shenmue games were absolutely fantastic on the DC! I just want Sega to make up their mind with the 3rd game. I don't really care much for "Shenmue Town" on mobile/cell phones unless it gets a console release... I can't stand gaming on a phone 😒

I have also read, that they have said "never say never" about Shenmue 3

http://tech.uk.msn.com/gaming/articles.aspx?c … entid=155148101

Reply 51 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
olemogamer wrote:
PowerPie5000 wrote:
digitaldoofus wrote:

Not for now at least... I have a feeling we will see Shenmue 3 at some point (maybe on the next generation of consoles?).

Last edited by PowerPie5000 on 2010-11-11, 16:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 52 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Use the right tool for the job, I say 😜

There are better ways to make games challenging than by making players use gimped controls.

Which to some is a joypad and to others is a keyboard & mouse 😀

I personally don't find joypads to be "gimped" controllers... People who can't use them adequately or find it difficult to use them may say something like that. Complete control in a single easy to use device... good enough for me 😁

Reply 53 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
PowerPie5000 wrote:
HunterZ wrote:

Use the right tool for the job, I say 😜

There are better ways to make games challenging than by making players use gimped controls.

Which to some is a joypad and to others is a keyboard & mouse 😀

I personally don't find joypads to be "gimped" controllers... People who can't use them adequately or find it difficult to use them may say something like that. Complete control in a single easy to use device... good enough for me 😁

You already conceded that keyboard+mouse is "easier" and that it takes more "skill" to do as well with a gamepad. It's also been pointed out that match-ups between players using gamepads and keyboard+mouse combos has resulted in console players getting stomped. Going on to argue that something more challenging to use is somehow a better tool seems illogical to me.

Note that I'm not saying that it's not valid to like console controllers better for FPS games. That's a matter of personal preference.

Reply 54 of 65, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't really see why there needs to be an argument about it at all. It's just more elitism really. I think everyone just needs to give both sides a chance. Once you've enjoyed a few games on both sides the argument just seems ridiculous. 😀

Reply 57 of 65, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

You're a teenager. You are expected to have such feelings.

I thought teenagers would feel the other way around, since move have grown up playing console shooters at this point 😜

Reply 58 of 65, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That depends. My much younger brother is 21 and has played equally on both platforms. I know for sure he wouldn't claim that gamepads offer better control for shooters, but he does game equally on PC and 360.

It's not that I've lost interest in consoles, it's that consoles have stopped having exclusives that I want and that I can't play on my uber TV PC (which just happens to have a 360 gamepad just in case). 😁 I certainly don't use the pad to play shooters though. Maybe for some third person shooters.

Reply 59 of 65, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

You already conceded that keyboard+mouse is "easier" and that it takes more "skill" to do as well with a gamepad. It's also been pointed out that match-ups between players using gamepads and keyboard+mouse combos has resulted in console players getting stomped. Going on to argue that something more challenging to use is somehow a better tool seems illogical to me.

Yes keyboard & mouse is easier for FPS and a couple of other genres to some extent whilst joypads are easier to use for a wider range of games. It does take more skill to use a joypad for FPS games only... maybe some strategy/sim titles too. For most other games i actually favour a joypad where the keyboard & mouse would just ruin them.

Beating a joypad user in a game using a keyboard & mouse is honestly nothing to brag about.... but it's more impressive when it's the other way round 😀