VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just had to do a little boasting about my alma mater... 😊

The Virginia Military Institute Corps of Cadets was invited as one of the Commonwealth of Virginia's representatives in the 2009 Presidential inaugural parade in Washington, D.C. January 20th, 2009. This was the 13th inaugural parade in which the V.M.I. has participated since the Institutes's first inaugural parade participation one hundred years ago in 1909. There were 103 participating units and the V.M.I. was the 102nd unit in the parade. There were just over 10,000 parade participants which took approximately 2:45 hours to complete the parade review.

The inaugural parade got off to a late start since there was a medical emergency concerning U.S. Senator Edward Kennedy at the Congressional inaugural luncheon for the new President. That is why it was already dark outside during the latter third of the parade.

The new President and First Lady seemed to appreciate the pass-in-review of the V.M.I. Corps of Cadets as they came down Pennsylvania Avenue; the impressive appearance of the 1,200 V.M.I. Cadets was aided by the fact that they represented over 10% of the total number of parade participants. 😳 The Corps of Cadets was composed of two Battalions of ~525 Cadets and a Band of ~150 Cadets. The only Cadets of the 1400 total not present were the Guard Team, NCAA athletic teams in competition, those on foreign study and the sick.

The Virginia Military Institute was founded in 1839 and the Cadet uniforms were modeled after those of the United States Military Academy. The winter uniform the Cadets are wearing in the inaugural parade is the Overcoat over blouse, with the cape turned back to expose the red wool underlining, secured with the two white cross-dykes and belt, with the black leather ammunition box secured at the small of the back. The rifle is the U.S. M-14 with fixed bayonet. The Cadet officers and non-coms carry a Cadet sabre with a maroon red sash around their waist.

The exposed red wool underlining has a story. When the V.M.I. was founded in 1839 the overcoat cape underlining was Cadet grey, just as is the USMA overcoat uniform of today. But after May 15th, 1864 the cape underlining was changed to the Red of a Civil War era combat unit. For on that May 15th, 1864 day the 258 Cadets of the V.M.I. were part of the 4,500 Confederates fighting a Union Army of 9,000 at New Market, Virginia. The Cadets were being held in reserve when a veteran Confederate infantry unit was almost eliminated by Union fire. The Cadets were put into the line to replace that unit, stopped a Union attack, led a Confederate counter-attack which drove off the Federal infantry and Federal artillery batteries - additionally the Cadets captured one Union artillery piece. For the three hours of combat the Cadets suffered 10 dead and 45 wounded, for a casualty rate of 24.3% - but they did win. That battle did define the V.M.I. forevermore and the V.M.I. Corps of Cadets Flag (the white flag to the right in pictures) is the only one of all Federal or State military academies who has a U.S. Army issued Battle streamer for unit action in combat at the Battle of New Market.

Given that the V.M.I. Corps of Cadets fought on the other side in the War between the States, it is surprising that U.S. Presidents continue to invite the last surviving combat unit (on the other side) of the 'late unpleasantness' to their inaugural festivities. 🤣

The C-SPAN inaugural parade coverage (via YouTube) of the V.M.I. Corps of Cadets in Presidential Inaugural parade, January 20th, 2009 - (18:48 EST) for your viewing pleasure. 😁

Rah Virginia Mil.

dvwjr

Attachments

• VMI_presidential_inaugural_parade.jpg
    Filename
    VMI_presidential_inaugural_parade.jpg
    File size
    74.1 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The V.M.I. Corps of Cadets marching in Presidential inaugural parade Jan 20, 2009.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

the last surviving combat unit (on the other side) of the 'late unpleasantness' to their inaugural festivities

I don't understand what the late unpleasantness is about, though 😕

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 3 of 5, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
djp wrote:

referring to the American Civil War

I thought so

but I suppose there's some specific historical situation behind that, so what would it be ?

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 4 of 5, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it was a Southern phrase for the war, so maybe it was their way of trying to sweep it all under the rug, by belittling it. Or it's possibly just Southern genteel-speak 😉

Never try to outstubborn a cat. - Lazarus Long