VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.google.com/intl/en/landing/prado/

this is absolutely incredible

although I question this will do away with the need to go stare at the paintings physically standing before them

Afaict Velazquez himself as a virtuoso at experimenting would be more than elated seeing this feat accomplished.
About other masters I wouldn't be so sure...

21167239jy8.jpg

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 4 of 4, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

In the meantime as promised Rogier Van der Weyden's Descent from the Cross (Leuven, circa 1440) has made its way to the scene 😀

if you want to grasp the meaning of the word zoom, point to the leftmost weeping Mary, to her eyes distraught with grief, then start slowly sneaking the magnifying slide up up up all the way, wait a moment for it to come through, then keep lifting it up, wait, lift, again and again 😎
how about it?

the trouble is, can you form an idea of the size of it ?
Is it a 20 x 20 centimeters miniature ? Is that larger than the Sistine Chapel's ceiling ?

Well, this Deposition is an impressive 2.2 x 2.6 meters size, not to mention it's almost surely missing its side panels
but could you tell by a glimpse at the display ?

Btw, I learned that of about 8,000 pictures taken of the 14 paintings, approximately 20% were only concerning the Garden tryptich by Bosch.

It's a blessing this digitization of it has been possible, and been made, right after the masterpiece had been scientifically restored in Madrid (1997-1999) for the first time in its 500 years spanning existence.
If you have a reproduction dating from before the year 1999/2000, and compare it now to the digital image, you should be able to notice the several spots, mostly near the bottom of the picture, that were damaged, and quite apparently so close up.

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)