VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everyone,

The folks over at the now-defunct CGW, aka Computer Gaming World, have posted .PDF files of their first 100 episodes. Being the rather nice girl that I am I went ahead and collected all of them, plus the index file, into a nice little torrent that is attached to this post for all of your enjoyment.

Now if they would only hurry and post the next 100 I'll be one happy fangirl since my favorite game, Mechwarrior 2, is covered in that spread. To say nothing of all of the vintage hardware reviews. ^__^

Attachments

Reply 5 of 8, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thats really nice. i will definitely take a look on the PDFs. since i only had a chance to read the german gaming magazines in the early days.

and thanks for the torrent.

Reply 6 of 8, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Xian97,

I'm trading some messages with her, thanking her of course, and trying to figure out a way to help her get the next 100 issues done. Turns out she personally took apart her own magazines, scanned each one, and turned them into .PDF files by herself. To say I was impressed would be a minor understatement. ^__^

The problem with the next batch of 100 is three-fold:

1. The later issues were bound with glue rather than staples which would mean destroying the magazine in order to be able to scan them in.

2. Due to the more complex layout of the later issues it would take a bit more effort in order to get them scanned properly using OCR.

3. That she is the ONLY person doing this and is not receiving any help either financially or physically.

So unless these hurdles can be overcome there is a pretty good chance that we will not see the remaining issues uploaded. Anyone have any ideas?

Reply 7 of 8, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

pjladyfox,
Stephane is a man. It's easy for your eyes to play tricks and add an i to made Stephanie. I thought the same thing myself until I saw his post on Scorpia's site
http://www.scorpia.com/?p=238#comments

BTW, that's the same Scorpia that used to write for CGW.

Reply 8 of 8, by pjladyfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*blush* Ooops. I had NO idea and I very much appreciate you pointing that out. And thank you for the link to that website as well since I remember reading Scorpia's articles way back in the day.

Currently, I am trying to lay my hands on a set of the next 100 issues so that I can send them off to him. However, the current "fly in the ointment" so to speak is the time/money issue which I'm also going to try and see if I may be able to do something about as well.

Like I mentioned to him in a forum post the next 100 issues would be invaluable to those of us in the retro PC gaming scene. Not only would we have one of the finest examples of in-print PC gaming magazines but one that would hold a wealth of information as to what games were released and what PC hardware was cutting-edge at the time since it covers the introduction of the infamous 3DFX voodoo card.

That said I'll keep everyone up-to-date if any progress is made on this front especially since it will help a lot on the hardware side of things. ^__^