VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Panties

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all,

If this question had been ask before, My apology. 😉

The question in the subject, says it all..

What is the Last 5 MS-DOS game ever made for Dos?
and..
What is the Last 5 MS-DOS game you ever played, before you move on to Windows/Linux?

For me, my last DOS games that I played in MS-DOS before I move on to Windows was...
a. Red Alert (DOS.. yes, it has Win9x version too.. but that time, I'm still on MS-DOS...)
b. Quake 1 (and both of the expansion set..)
c. Leisure Suit Larry 7 - (DOS version... yes, I still have the CD and it is also a Win9x version too..)
d. Mortal Kombat 3 (My favorite.... "Mk3.exe 666 1000000" cheats.. heheheh , however, I am unable to find MK3 Trilogy for DOS... where can I find those?)
e. Abuse... (It makes me feel like I am playing a "Predator" VS "Aliens" ....)

so those are my memories... There are more, but these are the Top 5 that I last played, before I am fully Windows 9x.... and beyond....

Reply 1 of 13, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm...
Mechwarrior 2
Quake
Duke3d
Dune 2
Maybe hexen?

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 2 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of my favorite games made during the twilight years of DOS was Heroes of Might and Magic II: The Price of Loyalty expansion pack. I believe it came out in May of 1997, and received several patches after that. On a side note, when fully patched, that game has the most up to date version of the Miles Sound System drivers for DOS that I could find.

Also, the original Fallout came out in October of 1997 and could still be installed in pure DOS. It had some pretty crappy DOS sound drivers though.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3 of 13, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

October 1997 is also when the first GTA came out. It can be run in both DOS and Windows but DOS is better IIRC because it has Voodoo support which is missing in the Windows version.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 4 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think there have been some more recent games by indy developers? but I'm not really into that scene.

I was stuck on a 486/66 till start of 1999 so did ALL my gaming in dos up till that point.
This shows in my collection with games like Quake missing due to it not running on a 486 and no real point going back with Quake 3 been released once I did have the hardware to run it.

Anyway my games list

1999 GTA London (or is that cheating?)
1997 GTA
1997 Dungeon Keeper
1996 Duke3D
1996 Megarace2
1996 Red Alert

Reply 5 of 13, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked this stuff up a while back , ww2 gi the expansion pack to nam came out 1999 , so one of the latest proper games , after that it was mostly freeware or shovelware titles.

But pretty much after like 1997 dos games fizzled out.

Reply 6 of 13, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2024-04-24, 06:27:

This shows in my collection with games like Quake missing due to it not running on a 486 and no real point going back with Quake 3 been released once I did have the hardware to run it.

Quake ran fine on my 486 dx2 @80...?
Q2 was a slideshow

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)

Reply 7 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣@ 1995-96 games mentioned 😀

Barring the special budget games, the last major big budget ones I know of are fall 1998's Jetfighter Full Burn and Elder Scrolls Redguard. Bethesda clung onto DOS for a while, they also had Burnout Championship Drag Racing for dos that same year

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 13, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake
Fallout
C&C: Red Alert
AH-64D Longbow
Descent II
Duke Nukem 3D
Theme Hospital
X-COM Apocalypse
Dungeon Keeper
Daggerfall
LSL: Love for Sail

Though I played these via OS/2 Warp, mostly, running a BBS in the background. Such great memories..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 9 of 13, by gaffa2002

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For me, the latest DOS games played were:
Quake
Blood
Shadow Warrior
Ignition
LSL 7: Love for Sail
MDK
Theme Hospital
Shattered Steel
Alone in the Dark 3
Grand Theft Auto

As for Mortal Kombat Trilogy, you can buy the game from GOG if you don't have it already, then you can apply the Kommunity Patch.
This patch basically gets any version of the game (including GOG, original PC and even PS1 discs), and apply a multitude of patches to add features and fix various issues, plus adds windows and DOS executables to it.

LO-RES, HI-FUN

My DOS/ Win98 PC specs

EP-7KXA Motherboard
Athlon Thunderbird 750mhz
256Mb PC100 RAM
Geforce 4 MX440 64MB AGP (128 bit)
Sound Blaster AWE 64 CT4500 (ISA)
32GB HDD

Reply 11 of 13, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before summer 1997 when my family got a Compaq Presario with P166MMX I only had a 286 and my fathers Pentium 150 laptop (which he only brought home from work on special occasions). Of all the games listed above I played the Windows versions of Theme Hospital, Red Alert, Dungeon Keeper, MDK, etc. For Quake it was GlQuake since I had a Voodoo 1.

For me the last DOS games I played regularly in 1998-2001 was shareware titles like Ganja Farmer and Action Supercross. I also played the heck outta Bust-A-Move during this time.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 12 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you sort on Moby by DOS releases descending by year you get 5 pages before you're even to the 90s. However, to narrow the definition to commercially released game software that was not a compilation or re-release I think you are better off starting at 1999 https://www.mobygames.com/platform/dos/year:1999/ where we see that WWII GI might be a candidate, mostly if it has a rating it's compiled from magazine or online sources so was more likely to be commercial, though the later year ones have online reviews of freeware contributing to review score, so its not hard and fast rule.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 13 of 13, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Panties wrote on 2024-04-24, 03:22:

What is the Last 5 MS-DOS game ever made for Dos?

Depending on how you look upon it, this might be a tricky question.

For one, DOS games are still being made, and some of these are sold, a few even with limited physical copies available. But most are freeware or donationware at best.

The other folks here mentioned 1997 as the cut-off point for big budget DOS games, but commercial titles continued to chug on for a while, at least 'til 1999:

Brány Skeldalu (1998)
Burnout: Championship Drag Racing (1998) - XnGine
Descent to Undermountain (1998) - Descent engine
Gunmetal (1998) - DOS & Windows versions available
NAM (1998) - Duke Nukem 3D engine w/ some modifications
Pył (1998)
Queen: The eYe (1998)
Varginha Incident, The (1998) - ACKNEX engine
Horde: The Northern Wind (1999) - ported to Windows for overseas releases
WWII GI (1999) - Duke Nukem 3D engine w/ some modifications

(all of these had physical boxed releases that sold in stores, and none of these were re-releases/updates of or add-ons for previously released games)

There are also those weird beasts like Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. v2.0 (1998), which is a DOS game but won't run in pure DOS out of the box because of some DOS/4GW shenanigans (but with DOS/32A it runs in DOS/DOSBox with no trouble).

Low-profile shareware titles also continued to be produced for the DOS platform, although they could be marketed as Windows games:

Bert Higgins: The Man from H.E.L.L. (1998)
3D Space Fighter (1999)
Charlie II (2001)

In the early and mid-2000s, people were still using game-making software like QuickBASIC or DIV Games Studio that produced DOS binaries. Again, in the case of QuickBASIC at least some were not meant to run in pure DOS, but rather in "Windows DOS box" under Win95/98/Me/2000. Certain QB games use a sound subsystem that is intended to work in Windows, and you can only play them in pure DOS without sound (unless there's a way to bypass or replace it with something native to DOS, of which I'm not aware ATM).

BTW, MobyGames has this weird policy which it does not fully follow through, according to which DOS games that come with a Windows installer (like Redguard, mentioned above) are documented as Windows games. On the other hand, developers and publishers could indicate Windows as the platform of their game, even though it could still be a DOS programme.

I've yet to find a true commercial title with a box release that came out in or after 2000 though. There were updated re-releases of Gary Grigsby's Pacific War (2000) and Gary Grigsby's War in Russia (2000) by Matrix Games, but these are not really new games, and they were released as freeware anyway (albeit based on originally commercial titles). Perhaps something could be found in the non-Anglophone world.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games