VOGONS

Common searches

Just an important heads up

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 160 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think a framed image viewer would be great, since I wouldn't want images to be cropped instead of showing what was intended in the first place.

Though I don't have difficulties with higher-res screens, it would be useful whenever it's being seen using lower-res ones. (My previous image which was chopped on the right side was a 1024x768 size and the screen res was 1280x720 - I don't know why the width was cropped while my screen res was 1280 width.)

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 161 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thing about that is understanding cross-subforum references of the time. Ex. "HunterZ posts in _PC_ about something on March 7, 2005 and then someone refers to it in a post on _Milliways_ on March 8, 2005". Mind you, if someone responded to one of these in 2008 sometime, that won't help... but if necroposting wasn't possible, then trying to catch up by reading all threads sorted into a monolithic list organized by most-recent-reply is probably the best you can do. Ordinarily I would read this forum by clicking "view new posts". This was fine when I visited multiple times daily, but not so much when not. Especially when sessions timed out and the list of new posts, when re-run, suddenly terminated an hour ago versus a couple of days. "View active posts" gets me closer to what I wanted.

But I digress...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 162 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another suggestion : How about displaying the post number (near the editing buttons on the top right) in each post - to keep track of the number of posts in a thread, and for easy referral - for e.g.: "Refer to/See post number nn...." within the thread.

EDIT : Number begins with 1 with the first post of a thread.

EDIT 2 : For those topics that contain a solution, the solved post can be easily referred to. E.g. - "Solution/Solved at Post #nn", either by the OP in the first post or by others later on.

EDIT 3 : And to pick-out trolls or spams - E.g. - " Troll / Spam @ Post #nn"

Reply 163 of 325, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

trolls spam is best picked by its nick

you can refer to exact post by copy/pasting link to the small white sheet of paper icon in it or its title. I think this may be better than refering to post number in a thread if they got split/merged.

Malik wrote:

Though I don't have difficulties with higher-res screens, it would be useful whenever it's being seen using lower-res ones. (My previous image which was chopped on the right side was a 1024x768 size and the screen res was 1280x720 - I don't know why the width was cropped while my screen res was 1280 width.)

That's cause all the margins + picture were more than 1280.
you can also see larger images if you shring forum to 50%, etc.

But I think for most people it won't be obvious the image was cropped by right boarder. So even annoying scrollbars will be more correct than cropping.

Reply 164 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
robertmo wrote:

you can refer to exact post by copy/pasting link to the small white sheet of paper icon in it or its title. I think this may be better than refering to post number in a thread if they got split/merged.

Thanks for pointing this out. I was going to say that a "permalink" link would be the best idea, but that's exactly what the sheet-of-paper icon is.

Reply 165 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Auto-linking appears to break if you have a URL that immediately follows a quote tag (which is the way you get it if you hit the "quote" button to reply to a post).

Example - note that the first link doesn't get turned into a hyperlink, but the second does:

robertmo wrote:

Here it is again with the first link moved to a separate line from the quote tag:

robertmo wrote:

Reply 167 of 325, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

As has been reported, it is true that there are character-encoding problems with older posts: special characters like ALT+0150 have been mojibake'd. But I guess there's nothing that can be done about those at this point?

Examples:
’ as apostrophe - Direct3D games in DosBox
А поР- Identify a strange card
Oddness with emoticons - couldn't access VogonDrivers,com- also, need help getting a PowerColor HD4650 to work on some rudimentary level.....
weg ähm - What the hell is that?
¥Weeds¥ - Duke Nukem's "Mighty Foot" Russian Folk Dance LOL!

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 172 of 325, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Pink button?.... 😁

Anyway we have the Orange and White tiny icons now.

The ascii characters in my Sound Blaster thread (from my sig.) are also all wrong. Just noticed it. Guess I have to change them?

Reply 173 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

Pink button?.... 😁

The ascii characters in my Sound Blaster thread (from my sig.) are also all wrong. Just noticed it. Guess I have to change them?

It seems that there were issues with character set conversion during the upgrade, as people have reported issues with international (Unicode?) characters in old posts as well.

Reply 176 of 325, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Malik wrote:

Pink button?.... 😁

If you want to be sure that they are fixed, then you have to edit the post.

I will do an attempt to repair the damage, but I can't predict if I will succeed.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 178 of 325, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That just makes a distinction between the two. Announcements will always stay at the top. Stickies will move up and down according to what has the most recent post. If you have a lot of stickies, a sticky can end up pretty far down the list. Also, announcements are generally something you want all users to see, hence you want them at the top.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 179 of 325, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

That just makes a distinction between the two. Announcements will always stay at the top. Stickies will move up and down according to what has the most recent post. If you have a lot of stickies, a sticky can end up pretty far down the list. Also, announcements are generally something you want all users to see, hence you want them at the top.

So you can explicitly set the order of announcements?