VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We all know that MS is pulling the plug on support for WinXP and Office XP/2003 in April of next year.

Does anybody know how long the existing updates will be available?
How long will MS keep the update sites active?
I can't seem to find a concrete answer about this anywhere.

When it came to Office 2000 for my Win98 boxes, I was lucky to download a copy of all the current patches for it a week before they shut down the Office Update website. I didn't even know that they were planning to shut down the site. It was simply pure luck that I was able to get a full set of the final updates.

I don't want to get caught with my pants down again.
We all have the same problem with Win98. We're now forced to use unofficial SPs to update it because the MS Update site is gone for that too.

I've got three PCs that run XP that I'd like to build final & complete images for. I just want to know how long I've got after April 2014 to get those images built.

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 53, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think English language users will be fine in any case, It is the localized versions that may get hard to update. Though XP will not be forgotten at the rate of Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000. Because it is the last 'Gates style' OS, before Ballmer took charge.
Here is what I stored for the Dutch version: XP Post- SP3 UpdatePack v13.07.0 juli 2013 NL

Paranoid thought is, if Microsoft will push out a patch in the last month that will break something, on purpose. 😵
No worries, we decided to disable auto-update after a few compatibility problems, which were hard to trace with auto-update enabled.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 3 of 53, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
KT7AGuy wrote:

How long will MS keep the update sites active?

This is a good question. Here's another one: How long will Microsoft maintain Windows XP's activation servers? My XP machines can survive without post-SP3 updates, but if the old activation system is dismantled, that could be a real problem.

PCGames9505

Reply 4 of 53, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DosFreak,
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out.
It's too bad nothing like that was available for Win98SE or Office 2000.

Gerwin,
I'm not that paranoid about MS intentionally sabotaging XP. If they were going to release some nefarious update that would make XP users want to upgrade, they would have done it by now. Win8 isn't doing so good, and it is Ballmer's baby.

However, I am paranoid enough to build an XP Pro SP3 virtual machine and make a list of all the updates that MS Update recommends for it. I'll do it during the first week of April, just to get a nice clean listing of all available XP and Office 2003 updates. If things are still running after April 8th, then I can do it again to get a final post-EOL listing of updates for XP.

Like many others, I think XP was the best version of Windows. I tolerate Win7, but don't really enjoy using it. Win8 actually has me seriously considering a switch to Linux (probably Mint) if MS wants to triple-down on their Metro UI foolishness.

Maximus,
According to this article, MS intends to keep the XP activation services running. How long? Who knows.

If possible, try to find a copy of XP Pro Corporate with legit key. Maybe somebody on eBay has one for sale. IIRC, the corporate version of XP doesn't require activation.

Reply 5 of 53, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just noticed this online add campaign from microsoft: A countdown clock to April 2014, with something which translates as "It is not the end of the world go windows 8" ... weird.

Reply 6 of 53, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was in the same boat.. I already though much about this one.. But i have one of more question about those updates for windows xp..
I had some computer parts here, so i made an Eprom reader / writer collection box.. It runs windows xp as well.. I only used an refurb edition to install it on that computer.. And i have installed almost 99,8 procent of all of those updates.. I really want to know is it possible to use those installed updates on an other computers thats running windows xp too.? Or does every windows xp need its own installed drivers??

When installed those updates, they will be installed in an folder on C:\Windows\....... doesnt know the exact location currently.. But i know these update does have seperate folders too..
I really like to know is there a way i can install those updates in one time only?? Otherwise i need to go in each folder and installing each package..

Iam also like to know, which is the best method to backup those updates when installed?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 7 of 53, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Just noticed this online add campaign from microsoft: A countdown clock to April 2014, with something which translates as "It is not the end of the world go windows 8" ... weird.

Can you please post a link Gerwin?

Let the air flow!

Reply 8 of 53, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure, but it is a random add, it may not want to appear again. It probably depends on a user OS check too.
A 2 part screenshot is attached, and here is the text with the link.
"105 days, 23 hours, 37 min, 18 sec"
"The end of Windows XP is not the end of the world."
"But the perfect moment for a new PC with Windows 8 Pro."
"Have a look at your options now" ----> Links to this; Retiring Windows XP, which also has an English version.

Now where is the Retiring Microsoft page... 🤣

Attachments

• ms-add-22-12-2013.gif
    Filename
    ms-add-22-12-2013.gif
    File size
    34.13 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 9 of 53, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^ Thanks Gerwin.

Live to see, trying to scare the masses with the April's fools Armaggedon in a vain attempt to refloat the capsized Tiles Wonder 🤣 .

The masses know better however:

i907997_Share.png

Let the air flow!

Reply 10 of 53, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some interesting times are ahead of us regarding Win8.x and Metro UI. I know I am not the only frustrated Windows user who has flirted with Linux in the past. At the time, I liked Linux (Ubuntu). I only stuck with Windows for the gaming support.

(I hear that Unity has done with Ubuntu what Metro has done for Windows. Ubuntu is no longer a serious player.)

If Valve/Steam comes up with something interesting, perhaps we'll see a new renaissance in computing/gaming like what happened with DOS and Win95 back in the mid-1990s.

MS seems to think it can do with cell phones, tablets, laptops, and desktops, what Apple has done. However, they simply do not have the religious following that Apple enjoys. I think MS has mistakenly created an opening in the market for a serious competitor to emerge. Is it Valve/Steam? If I had any money, I think I would be investing it with them.

Reply 11 of 53, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Too bad for Win7 users. It seems MS will never release a SP2. And I am not jumping in the Win8 bandwagon. I don't stand Win8 interface.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 12 of 53, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
KT7AGuy wrote:

Some interesting times are ahead of us regarding Win8.x and Metro UI. I know I am not the only frustrated Windows user who has flirted with Linux in the past. At the time, I liked Linux (Ubuntu). I only stuck with Windows for the gaming support

I'm using a Ubuntu Mint machine at work (I have to) and while I'm kinda impressed with how far Linux has come since I last used it, I'm still having to do more command line trickery than I'd like. I'm sure it all makes sense once you have a couple of years experience, but with Windows I either know how to fix problems, or a solution is only a google search away. With Linux, I find myself spending way too long trying to fix things that shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 13 of 53, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote:

I'm using a Ubuntu Mint machine at work (I have to) and while I'm kinda impressed with how far Linux has come since I last used it, I'm still having to do more command line trickery than I'd like. I'm sure it all makes sense once you have a couple of years experience, but with Windows I either know how to fix problems, or a solution is only a google search away. With Linux, I find myself spending way too long trying to fix things that shouldn't have gone wrong in the first place.

This has been my experience as well. I've been using Linux as my primary OS for four years now (tried Ubuntu at first, then switched to Xubuntu after the Unity fiasco). I'm happy with it overall, but there are some things which still give me no end of trouble (playing encrypted DVDs, for example, or configuring poorly-supported WiFi adapters).

On the other hand, I no longer have to deal with malware, registry rot, or activation restrictions. Pick your poison, I guess. I still use Windows for retro gaming, and I've found that it behaves much better when it's not allowed to connect to the Internet.

PCGames9505

Reply 14 of 53, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the long run when MS does kill the activation servers those who really want to use XP are going to have no choice but to move on with either crack tools or outright pirate versions of XP. XP isn't going to fad away anytime soon unlike 98 and most are going to want 7 anyway. I gave 8.1 a try on a spare laptop and it is noticeably slower than 7, even more so than Vista.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 15 of 53, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

W8 is the first MS OS I shall skip. At work we also use W7 and Office 2010, so I'm happy to use the same at home. The only thing that I came across that runs better on W8 is apparently Battlefield 4, though it runs good enough under W7 for me.

MS is in a bit of a mess and it will take some fresh wind in management to turn things around. I'm happy to wait it out.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 16 of 53, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No problems with W8 for me but anyway. I expect what will happen is that the update servers and activation servers will continue to run for a few more years.
I mean looking at a thread on msfn apparently Windows Update v4 stopped working on 98 in 2011 a full 5 years after the support ended for the OS in 2006.

I am also sure I read somewhere saying they would provide a patch to disable activation once they shut down the activation servers but we will have to wait and see,
theres nothing stopping them from being able to do this however I suspect they will wait until XP is virtually useless for running modern software basically like 9x is right now.

Reply 17 of 53, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's also weird that MS doesn't sell old OS software like Windows 98SE. It used to be part of TechNet subscription, but that's gone and I think only Windows 3.11 is still there 🙁

They could offer it for free to download you know...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 53, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

IIRC Windows 98 and some other products were pulled from MSDN due to a licensing issue with Sun. It was easier to pull the products than spend time modifying them. They are widely available anyway.....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline