VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was just wondering if there are any PC games that we still can't get to run on modern machines? Between DOSBox, official and fanmade patches, and virtual machines, I've managed to get everything I want to work to work great, but of course I've only tried a fraction of the PC's software range, so I was wondering what games if any still don't work and why.

DOSBox is *brilliant*- I know it doesn't do things like printers and other non-game related things, but for games players it's fantastic, and open source games like Doom and Duke Nukem 3D have great Windows (or Linux, if you prefer, I bet) versions for download, and you can always dual boot and run an earlier version of Windows to run problematic games (hardware allowing). So are there any problematic games still refusing to run properly on modern machines?

Reply 1 of 41, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never got Cyberspeed working on anything on Windows 98 or better, mainly due to the dumb installer.

There's also the infamous Streets of Simcity. You may think you got it to work at first, but then you see other cars bouncing to eternity...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 41, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Hater Depot wrote:

Does Die Hard Trilogy work above Windows 95? I could never get it to work in Win2000.

Works on Win98SE for sure 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 4 of 41, by Iris030380

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBOX has become very nice over the years. Especially now we have dual and quad core machines, enabling us to run those 40,000 cycles. I remember trying an early DosBox out on a Pentium 4 2.0ghz and the heavier DOS4GW titles struggled to get decent frames and Quake 1 was a definite slouch.

As for running old games though, you just cannot beat a Pentium 200 vanilla in a decent SS7 board. Declock to 75Mhz or OC to 233Mhz. Dos Voodoo drivers. Nothing beats that ^^

I5-2500K @ 4.0Ghz + R9 290 + 8GB DDR3 1333 :: I3-540 @ 4.2 GHZ + 6870 4GB DDR3 2000 :: E6300 @ 2.7 GHZ + 1950XTX 2GB DDR2 800 :: A64 3700 + 1950PRO AGP 2GB DDR400 :: K63+ @ 550MHZ + V2 SLI 256 PC133:: P200 + MYSTIQUE / 3Dfx 128 PC66

Reply 5 of 41, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My experience has been that if a game requires Win 95 or especially Win 98/ME/2k, and is 3D, it has a hard time running on Vista and higher. Sometimes XP as well.

Yamaha FB-01/IMFC SCI tools thread
My Github
Roland SC-55 Music Packs - Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, and more.

Reply 7 of 41, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 1995-2001 interval (Windows 95 release - Windows Xp release) isn't fully emulated in the modern hardware. Changes in the WinAPI are the main culprits. There is ACT, but this toolkit isn't always working.
The second trouble - lack of DX5-DX8 support in the current video hardware.
As the example - list of the glide games w/o Xp compatibility: Actua Tennis, Andretti Racing, Asghan, Barrage, Cybergladiators, LeMans 24 Hours, Nascar 2000, Nascar Revolution, SWIV 3d, The Tainted, Time Warriors.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9 of 41, by raymangold22

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well I have a few picky games.
One at the top of my head is Glover (requires windows 9x and relies on *SPECIFIC* glide drivers).

Basically, if you have games that rely on specific hardware (as well as specific drivers), and where the emulator doesn't natively emulate that hardware, you get into issues with stacking multiple emulators which... yeah...
*bangs head on wall*

Not to mention, some of those games' framerate responds oddly in emulators, you get like 20 FPS with timed paused intervals. Annoying.
In short: I was unable to play a lot of my games until a mysterious force in 2010 moved me to purchase all of my old hardware again.

Reply 10 of 41, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3D games developed for Rendition Verite graphic cards - admittedly a small field but a retro box is a necessity. CART Racing/Indycar Racing 2 is a good example as the only accelerated release of this great early racing sim was Rendition only.

Also some Glide games, like Longbow 2, get more and more finicky as OS/hardware releases roll on - glide wrappers notwithstanding, making a retro box is a simple and welcome solution.

Last edited by tincup on 2012-11-14, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 41, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@Gamecollector
your wrong about swiv3d I used to play it under xp
and Lemans 24hour is currently installed and working on my win7x64 pc

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 13 of 41, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was trying to run Lemmings Revolution a little while ago, and the menu graphics were messed up both in Windows 7 and in VMware. I guess that counts?

Wait, nevermind.

Reply 15 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:

3D games developed for Rendition Verite graphic cards - admittedly a small field but a retro box is a necessity. CART Racing/Indycar Racing 2 is a good example as the only accelerated release of this great early racing sim was Rendition only.

Also some Glide games, like Longbow 2, get more and more finicky as OS/hardware releases roll on - glide wrappers notwithstanding, making a retro box a simple and welcome solution.

Longbow 2 has several problems running on modern system:

(1) it cannot run on RAM larger than 366 megabytes.

(2) on fast CPU, rockets will fall short of the target.

(3) if you're using separate USB joystick and throttle, you'll have problem with the throttle. The solution is either use gameport joystick/throttle, or use joystick with built-in throttle.

In theory, using USB version of CH stick and throttle can solve the problem, because CH software can "mask" its controllers as a single DirectX controller. So instead of using the CH throttle as joystick 2's Y axis, you should use it as joystick 1's Z axis instead. I haven't got the time to test it though.

Apparently, flightsims are the most problematic when it comes to modern hardware, and that's my primary reason to build legacy systems. 😵

Reply 16 of 41, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kerr Avon wrote:

I was just wondering if there are any PC games that we still can't get to run on modern machines?

Balls of steel. The stupid installation/setup procedure absolutely *must* find a supported video card - and in 2012, it doesnt 😒 I love that game, but I also hate it.

Reply 17 of 41, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Apparently, flightsims are the most problematic when it comes to modern hardware, and that's my primary reason to build legacy systems. 😵

Quite true - a significant portion of the games I have installed on various retro rigs are air combat sims.

Another example is European Air War, and absolute gem that has benefitted from years and years of dedicated fan contributions, but is still most easily run on a period build. This is especially true if you run Win7 64-bit, or XP, and get the dreaded 7127 error. There are great patches and workarounds but some modern setups just won't get it to run properly.

Reply 18 of 41, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tincup wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Quite true - a significant portion of the games I have installed on various retro rigs are air combat sims.

Another example is European Air War, and absolute gem that has benefitted from years and years of dedicated fan contributions, but is still most easily run on a period build. This is especially true if you run Win7 64-bit, or XP, and get the dreaded 7127 error. There are great patches and workarounds but some modern setups just won't get it to run properly.

Which begs the question: why flightsims? What's in their programming that cause problems with modern hardware?

Even arcade flightsim like Crimson Skies has problem with nVidia's CSAA - namely, the menu freezes. On Radeons, it doesn't do any better either. The airplanes become black silhouette when you turn on AA. 😵