Common searches

Conner disks

Topic actions

First post, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone ever have a Conner disk? Good luck with it? My experience was those were pretty solid (but outdated now)

Reply 3 of 11, by Markk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an ancient 8086-clone(OKI I think) laptop, which has a 21MB 2.5" conner disk. Initially it didn't work. So once I decided to open the cover of the disk. It seemed that the head was stuck. If moved it a little, it would work for a while, but a soon as the computer was powered off, and left that way for some minutes, the disk would stop working. After some time searching for a solution, I read on a site that attaching a small piece of tape where the back of the head rests, it may solve the problem. And sure it did. The disk may have 2-3MB lost in bad sectors, but it works for a year or so.

I also had a 41MB 3.5" drive, which was originally in my 286, bought 2.5 years ago. In the beginning it worked, but after a year or so it stared behaving strangely. I could hear it spinning, but there was no sound from the head, and the disk would not pass the POST. I found out that by hitting it hard with my finger it would make a loud "clicking" noise, and then it would start working. So by having some previous "experience" with the smaller 21MB drive I decided to open it about a month ago. I used a small piece of tape again, and that seems to have(at least partially) solved the problem. Now it makes the loud noise when I power of the pc, and the next time it turns back on, the disk works fine. However, having formatted it a couple times, it reported no bad sectors, so I guess I was lucky this time...

Reply 5 of 11, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, I remember those HDD's back in the day.

They were the first ones I can remember noting the CS or Cable Select jumper on them.

I think they sold/were bought by Maxtor and then of course Maxtor got gobbled up by Seagate.

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 7 of 11, by Mad-Lunatic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a "spare" 80MB CP30084E that has entered its 20th year of existence - still works flawlessly 😀

http://homenet.gnu-linux.net/ -- My computer collection, past and present

Reply 10 of 11, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the later Conner drives began getting a poor reputation. It's funny that they were bought out by Seagate since Finis Conner co-founded Seagate.

I had a 1GB Conner in my main 486 up until 2 months ago when it died, and was replaced by a WD 10GB. It's now in my Freezer hoping I might be able to get the data off it. I also have another Conner in my Ti486DLC.

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =