VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gustl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What options do I have to get the best out of the board ?
I get 66Mhz
100Mhz
133Mhz
is now running with Celeron 533Mhz no other CPU is recognized or it will not start? Ram is 133MHz.
thanks in advance for tips and tricks!

Reply 2 of 6, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

According to the manual here
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/shuttle-hot-681
this motherboard only supports Celeron CPUs up to 500MHz.

If you don't have the latest BIOS, try updating to see if support for more CPUs was added.

Reply 3 of 6, by Gustl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

last orginal bios is installed. But one question I have is whether the bios of the p2b from asus can be installed, or whether the original bios can be extended by other CPUs?

Last edited by Gustl on 2024-01-02, 11:31. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 6, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's for ppga CPUs, without an interposer or socket mods it won't take fcpga 1 or 2 CPUs, some pins are wired different. If there is not separate voltage regulation on the interposer, voltage mods may be required.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 6, by Gustl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

fThanksor the tip, it has helped me. In c't it is repeatedly pointed out that the new Pentium III and Celeron processors do not run in older mainboards because they supposedly cannot set the lower core voltage for these CPUs. However, I have a Slot 1 FC PGA adapter with jumpers, with the help of which I can set voltages between 1.5 and 1.8 volts on the mainboard I bought at the beginning of 1999. In this case, is there anything against running an FC-PGA processor in my PC?

Every Slot 1 mainboard can vary the processor voltage within certain limits, because even the Pentium II, Celeron and Pentium III processors before the Coppermine era required different voltages. Some manufacturers installed regulators early on that can also supply voltages below 1.8 volts - a Coppermine chip should therefore run on these boards. Unfortunately, however, not all motherboard companies publish corresponding compatibility lists.

Intel processors have five voltage identification pins, which they use to tell the motherboard the required voltage. A motherboard is not actually allowed to boot if it cannot set the voltage required by the processor. On some boards, a different voltage can be set manually using the BIOS setup or jumpers. Such jumpers can also be found on many Slot 1 Socket 370 adapters.

With these jumpers it is possible to start a Coppermine process.