VOGONS

First post, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean, repair it without risk of have a fire at home, of course.

I have a 256 sdram pc133 module that the motherboard doesn't read. I disscovered that there is a bad connection between one of the lines and the pin.

I wonder if it is possible to repair it... for example putting a little of tin and weld it or something similar.

PXL-20240406-170356638.jpg

Last edited by psaez on 2024-04-10, 21:19. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-06, 17:22:

Yes, that is a perfectly safe (and common) type of repair.

Can you give me the steps or preferably a video showing the safe process? I can see a lot of videos but don't know which process is the correct one

Also some use wires, and I don't have these wires. Maybe with a litle of tin is enough?

Reply 3 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you are not comfortable with soldering, after cleaning some of the mask off the trace, a dab of conductive paint would probably do it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 10, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-04-06, 18:04:

If you are not comfortable with soldering, after cleaning some of the mask off the trace, a dab of conductive paint would probably do it.

I have a solder, I changed some capacitors.

Is it safe to simply put a dot of tin on that place?

Reply 5 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, it's fine for signal lines, individual chip traces.

The one place where you really want to avoid doing just a solder bridge is main power traces and in PSUs, because the current can melt the solder off, so you've gotta get a reasonably large chunk of copper in there so it doesn't heat up with power draw. Also be wary of fixing burnt out spots, where the cause for the burn out has not been traced and fixed. Anything that carries less than an amp though, you don't really have to think about it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 6 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psaez wrote on 2024-04-06, 18:00:
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-06, 17:22:

Yes, that is a perfectly safe (and common) type of repair.

Can you give me the steps or preferably a video showing the safe process? I can see a lot of videos but don't know which process is the correct one

Also some use wires, and I don't have these wires. Maybe with a litle of tin is enough?

If the break is fairly small then just a dab of solder can be used. I've fixed broken traces this way before.

If you want more detailed videos on soldering and trace repair, I recommend the following video from the YouTube channel MrSolderFix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXhyMUO4q3A

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 10, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
psaez wrote on 2024-04-06, 18:20:

Is it safe to simply put a dot of tin on that place?

You need to scratch the solder mask in the damaged area, remove everything burnt and expose undamaged copper to solder on. If what's left is enough for some solder to bridge it you're done. If not you'll need to create this bridge, and this is where you might need some thin metal piece.

Reply 8 of 10, by psaez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2024-04-07, 07:40:

You need to scratch the solder mask in the damaged area, remove everything burnt and expose undamaged copper to solder on. If what's left is enough for some solder to bridge it you're done. If not you'll need to create this bridge, and this is where you might need some thin metal piece.

Shponglefan wrote on 2024-04-06, 18:39:

If the break is fairly small then just a dab of solder can be used. I've fixed broken traces this way before.

If you want more detailed videos on soldering and trace repair, I recommend the following video from the YouTube channel MrSolderFix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXhyMUO4q3A

Hi, thank you guys. How he scratches the solder mask on the first method in the video? He uses something similar to a scissor?

Reply 9 of 10, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

no not scissors 😀 he is doing this under a microscope.
its a straight edge / exacto knife. Razor blade could work too.
I had a to fix a problem like this a famicom cart. So as other said lightly scrap the solder mask till you see some copper. If the gap is to large to bridge with solder many, myself included like to use the leg from a cap or resister.
For example i would solder the pin side to the end of the throughhole part leg then solder the other side then snip with the sharp exacto knife or snipping pliers.
Use flux.

Reply 10 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Pickle wrote on 2024-04-08, 21:48:

If the gap is to large to bridge with solder many, myself included like to use the leg from a cap or resister.

In the case of the fine traces of an SDRAM modules, a capacitor or resistor leg may be too bulky. In that case, I use single strands from stranded wire. You don't have to cut the tiny copper piece before soldering, because the single strands are quite brittle, and after soldering the end of a strand over the gap, you can just bend the remaining strand back and forth and easily break it off.