VOGONS

First post, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking for a quiet way to power my Super Socket 7 PC.

A PicoPSU with an adapter would be ideal, except my research shows their 5v ratings are too low.

Is there anything similar available that can do the job? (Preferably with a -5v rail)

Reply 2 of 4, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tried a 90w and 120w PicoPSU with a small P200MMX system (PCI video card, PCI NIC, ISA soundcard, 1x CF drive) and found that the system would brown out when lots was going on (benchmarks, lots of graphics activity, etc).

I wanted to test the 'big' PicoPSU; the 160w part, but I never got around to test this.

The 5v supply with them is indeed quite low compared to period AT power supplies. I'm now using the 90w part with a socket 3 system and it works great, but that clearly has a lot lower demand on both 5v and 12v than the socket 7 system.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 3 of 4, by wbahnassi

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use it in my P233MMX build as well (the 120w version):

Lego PC - Traditional Damascus Theme

It's holding up quite well. Never failed me. My build has 2 floppy drives and a DVD drive. On the otherhand, no mechanical HDD nor a dedicated graphics card. So I'm not gonna claim it will hold up for those once installed.

Reply 4 of 4, by Lylat1an

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
janih wrote on 2024-04-03, 07:44:

There are diy adapters for PICO PSU to AT with -5 rail, discussion here: ATX to AT pico Adapter! + Fan Headers Soft on/off, -5v, and 3.3v (Released)

Great!

...but I have no experience ordering components from PCB building sites.

What's a good site to order from these days, and what's the process if they don't have instructions?

Alternatively, might anyone have a spare "high current" PICO-AT that I could purchase directly?