VOGONS

First post, by Cypher321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Picked up a GF4 4200 ti awhile back for a good price as it was being sold for parts/not working. The card does display but it has some green artifacts that I believe are typical of a memory issue:

PXL_20231210_014150960.jpg
Filename
PXL_20231210_014150960.jpg
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A visual examination showed one (maybe two?) of the legs on one of the memory chips having broken off from the chip:

IMG_20240311_231228688.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240311_231228688.jpg
File size
985.6 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Any thoughts on how to repair this? I read a few random threads on various forums suggesting shaving away the plastic of the chip to the metal and resoldering - seems a bit aggressive to me but I also don't see much to work with given how the leg failed. FWIW, I do have access to an EE lab at work plus my own (lower grade) equipment at home.

Reply 1 of 8, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have access to a lab it would easy to replace that chip with a PCB preheater and hot air. Or even low melt solder. Before you jump to action pull the datasheet on that chip and see what that pin does.

Reply 2 of 8, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Don't think of it as randomly gouging at precision equipment, think of it as 1:72nd scale dinosaur femur excavation. Seriously if you mask off anywhere where tools might slip, you can't really do more damage than it's got, can still replace chip if you mess up.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 8, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-14, 04:21:

Don't think of it as randomly gouging at precision equipment, think of it as 1:72nd scale dinosaur femur excavation. Seriously if you mask off anywhere where tools might slip, you can't really do more damage than it's got, can still replace chip if you mess up.

Those mini cordless engraver pins everyone is using to grind traces would probably work well here. But I don't know if it's worth buying something if he has access to an SMD lab.

Reply 4 of 8, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd Dremel the plasticaway very carefully and solder in a small wire. It does requirea steady hand and small tip but it is definitely doable with a regular iron.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 5 of 8, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

First off get the rest of that pin off the pin next to it and see if those 2 are shorting out something important.

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 7 of 8, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at the datasheet for the K4D261638E (think that's the right part?) then the broken leg is 54 - DQ8. Leg to the left (53) is N/C and leg to the right (55) is Vddq. So I think there's a good chance the chip will be ok, even if the PCB pad for leg 54 has been shorted to leg 53. Datasheet just says the NC is recommended, not required. Possible crack on leg 55 probably doesn't matter, but a dab of solder might stop it failing later.

Reply 8 of 8, by Cypher321

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the feedback folks. I'll bring home my microscope from work and take a look at the card again this weekend. Assuming mechanical manipulation doesn't work, I'm feeling good that the 'shave and solder' technique is the way to do.

snufkin wrote on 2024-03-14, 10:54:

Looking at the datasheet for the K4D261638E (think that's the right part?) then the broken leg is 54 - DQ8. Leg to the left (53) is N/C and leg to the right (55) is Vddq. So I think there's a good chance the chip will be ok, even if the PCB pad for leg 54 has been shorted to leg 53. Datasheet just says the NC is recommended, not required. Possible crack on leg 55 probably doesn't matter, but a dab of solder might stop it failing later.

Correct on that p/n and thanks for the tip!

kingcake wrote on 2024-03-14, 04:24:
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-14, 04:21:

Those mini cordless engraver pins everyone is using to grind traces would probably work well here. But I don't know if it's worth buying something if he has access to an SMD lab.

Honestly couldn't tell you what the EEs keep in their lab (I'm a ME by training and profession) but I'll keep an eye out assuming I need to do some shaving.

I'll post an update after I've had a chance at repairing the card. Really hoping to get this card working for my all purpose Win98SE system.