VOGONS

My struggles building a 486 rig.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2024-03-04, 14:26:

Frankly I would just wire up your internal com ports correctly. But if you insert that i/o card, you really should just turn off the com ports on the motherboard in the bios at that point. I'm not sure what your pci based com driver can support for i/o port addresses and irq so you'll want to check up on that to know if it will work for you.

My problem is that i dont really know how to do that… i am not that experienced about setting irq ports… i would be really grateful if you could help me with that. I also would prefer to fix this issue without any extention but i am not sure how to. Also my plan would be to install this pci card and hope for the best …xd

Reply 21 of 39, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another option that you should consider is to use a PS/2 mouse.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 22 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-04, 15:04:

Another option that you should consider is to use a PS/2 mouse.

Unfortunately i dont have a ps/2 port on my board .. but do you think its a irq address issue?

Reply 23 of 39, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RagingSquirrel wrote on 2024-03-04, 14:55:

Frankly I would just wire up your internal com ports correctly. But if you insert that i/o card, you really should just turn off the com ports on the motherboard in the bios at that point. I'm not sure what your pci based com driver can support for i/o port addresses and irq so you'll want to check up on that to know if it will work for you.

My problem is that i dont really know how to do that… i am not that experienced about setting irq ports… i would be really grateful if you could help me with that. I also would prefer to fix this issue without any extention but i am not sure how to. Also my plan would be to install this pci card and hope for the best …xd

To use the card, you need to go into the bios setup, integrated chipset features. Then for serial port 1 and 2 set to disable. Then with the pci i/o card inserted, install the dos driver following the instructions. You probably want it to use the legacy i/o port addresses. You can use msd to check on things. I don't think it has a parallel port enabled, since it looks unpopulated for the header, but you may want to check on that too. I have no idea what it may set for irqs being a pci card.

Reply 24 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
the3dfxdude wrote on 2024-03-04, 15:52:

To use the card, you need to go into the bios setup, integrated chipset features. Then for serial port 1 and 2 set to disable. Then with the pci i/o card inserted, install the dos driver following the instructions. You probably want it to use the legacy i/o port addresses. You can use msd to check on things. I don't think it has a parallel port enabled, since it looks unpopulated for the header, but you may want to check on that too. I have no idea what it may set for irqs being a pci card.

What is msd? I installed the win 95 driver it recognise the card and according to device manager it should work but the mouse still doesnt move,,,,

Reply 25 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RagingSquirrel wrote on 2024-03-04, 17:24:
the3dfxdude wrote on 2024-03-04, 15:52:

What is msd? I installed the win 95 driver it recognise the card and according to device manager it should work but the mouse still doesnt move... the weird thing is that before i installed the card every time Win 95 started there was a warrning message about that theres no mouse device connected... but it doesnt bring up the message anymore.. but the cursor still doesnt work .. aaagggrrhhhh

Reply 26 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well// an other strange thing..
I tried to re flash the eprom with the bios image i got from retroweb .. someone linked to me in this post that for the KM-S4-1 motherboard i should use this bios https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/rectron-rt-4s3
but when i try to flash it i get this message

423735922-8170361079657431-3665915664792652765-n.jpg

can someone explain it to me wtf???

i have this board in my rig

Screenshot-2024-03-03-195739.png

Last edited by RagingSquirrel on 2024-03-04, 18:17. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 27 of 39, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this

AWDFLASH.EXE ROM.BIN /Py /CC /CD /CP

One more thing, you have to set the voltage to 12V (JP19).

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB

Reply 28 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-04, 18:17:
Try this […]
Show full quote

Try this

One more thing, you have to set the voltage to 12V.

same thing... could that be that i have the same bios on the eprom already ? or should i try different bios flahers?

Reply 30 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-04, 18:17:
Try this […]
Show full quote

Try this

One more thing, you have to set the voltage to 12V (JP19).

is that an option? i have a 3v processor it will fry it for sure even if its possible..

ohh wait what is that jumper for .. theres only one mention in the manual it says its bios type selection but it doesnt say how should i set the jumper on

Edit.. It still does the same thing.. Program part number doesnt match with system

Reply 31 of 39, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try this one

Filename
awdflash.exe
File size
27.1 KiB
Downloads
9 downloads
File license
Public domain

Duke_2600.png

Reply 32 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-04, 20:34:

Try this one

awdflash.exe

I will try as soon i get home.. just one question about it which is bugging my mind.. Is there any point to flash the bios if i already have the same version on the eprom chip? Could it be that it got corrupted and by flashing the same version could fix my issue?

Reply 33 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well it did not worked.. anyway i am going to get the 4th motherboard tomorrow it is a Gigabyte GA-5486AL ... i already asked the seller to test the com port .. and he said that suprisingly its not working.. at this point i am pretty sure it must be a common issue with socket 3 boards.. but anyway he gonna gave it to me for testing .. if thats not gonna work, i contacted with a old pc part shop where i gonna bring my rig on saturday.. they have 4 motherboards on stock.. so i told them that i gonna put all of them one by one to my rig and if any of it gonna work i will buy it xD... they also have lot of extra parts like cables spare mouses.. so even if its not the motherboard i will find it out..

Reply 34 of 39, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to hear that, but don't give up yet. Try updating the BIOS with UniFlash.

https://soggi.org/motherboards/bios-update-fl … h-utilities.htm

Duke_2600.png

Reply 35 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-06, 14:34:

ok i will... but do you think updating to the same bios would resolve anything?

Reply 36 of 39, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
RagingSquirrel wrote on 2024-03-06, 14:48:

Well, the newer version means bug fixes and new features.

Duke_2600.png

Reply 37 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-06, 21:37:
RagingSquirrel wrote on 2024-03-06, 14:48:

Well, the newer version means bug fixes and new features.

Yes.. but it is the same version.. according to retroweb it only has one bios version to this board and its exaclty identical to the one i already have on the board...

Reply 38 of 39, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What happened to the PCI card?

Duke_2600.png

Reply 39 of 39, by RagingSquirrel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-03-08, 18:25:

What happened to the PCI card?

You mean with the com port extension pci card? It is weird .. because it got recognised i can install the drivers.. and even after that when i boot up windows it doesnt come up with the warrning that it cant find a mouse.. but the cursor still doesnt work.. i tested the cables and mouse devices and both seems to work... today i went to a computer repair shop where they told me that com port use to have two different pin layouts, and they gonna resolder one of my cables on monday .. maybe it will work with that.. but i am quite skeptical at this point... Beause with the first mobo it worked... and only stopped working when burned the cache chips.. no matter what mobo i am rtying with none of them seems to work.. i also got a isa io card which i am testing right now .. but it doesnt seems to work eighter...