VOGONS

First post, by Kouwes

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have an Asus P8Z77V-LX2 board with i7 3770K, Radeon R9-270X and 2x4 GB DDR3-1600.
This rig was meant for WinXP but due to some driver problems I ended up with Win7-32.
Anyways, since it has now Win7 on it I added another 2 sticks of RAM, 2 x 4GB 1866MHz.
But that does not work, the PC turn on but won’t boot or post.
I also tried removing the 1600 sticks but still no luck. After swapping the memory back to the 1600 sticks Post is halted and a message appears: Overclocking failed! Please enter setup…bla bla.
So, either the 1866 sticks are bad or my board doesn’t like them?
Any thoughts?

Reply 1 of 4, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mixing to different RAM speeds -- it will want to be clocked at the slower speed RAM. As far as the 1866 speed memory, the board claims it supports that speed with an OC / XMP profile, however sometimes that doesn't work correctly depending on the board BIOS rev & RAM compatibility.

I would reset everything to default in the BIOS, then try to get it working with the DDR3-1600 speed memory. If that works, take it out and insert just the DDR3-1866 speed memory, then if it boots, go into the BIOS and test out which XMP profiles work. It might take a few tries and clearing the CMOS if it freezes..

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 2 of 4, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree ! According to the manual any ram faster than 1600 is OC. The QVL list for that board has a very short "supported" list for 1866 ram.
One thing that happens is the SPD profiles may not match well (happens when mixing speeds, much worse when mixing speeds and manufactures).
Example: the 1600 SPD may have 1600 and 1333 speeds listed, the 1833 may only have 1833 listed or 1833 and 1067.
There is no way for the board to Auto set proper mem speed when things are that way so assumes are trying to OC the 1600 to the 1866...
I have had that issue and had to force manually the mem speed and timing.
Always make sure your slowest speed ram is in the first slot/or first channel, that can help.
added: I suggest you do as wiretap says and then once up in windows run CPUZ and check the SPD timings and voltages of the 1600 (write them down). Then remove 1600 and try the 1833,
if you get it back into windows run CPUZ again and check the SPD timings again.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 4, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Once again, what are these memory modules made by? Does matter.

You can find OEM made memory modules in 1866MHz means good SPD data that will work on yours guaranteed.

Also you can use ECC 1866MHz modules and motherboard will ignore the ECC part. Easier to get this way. This will either run at 1600 or 1866 if CPU supports these. Of coruse you can "overclock" CPU to use 1866MHz via bios settings.

Another thing, notice I didn't provide examples that is sold by chinese sellers. These chinese sellers are selling fakes with same serial number on all of the memory modules. Genuine OEM quality modules have unique serial programmed in each to vertify they are real product.
Another reason I no longer recommend the memory modules from third party except Kingston due to SPD programming is not good. Example. I had pair of Corsair DDR3 that is advertised as DDR3-1600, no where it mentioned that was overclocking, XMP mode or runs at 1333. On 2 boards that supports DDR3 1600 (CPU and motherboard are rated for this), this memory modules ran at DDR3 1333. On one of this, I had to set as XMP to run 1600. That's incorrect since the modules says it is for 1600. I ended up cloning a SPD data from a good OEM DDR3 1600 on both to run at 1600 properly. This is reason to avoid that and prevents adding complexity of the problems like you had.

Examples:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/126122489963?hash=ite … ABk9SR6TkpP6WYw

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/126122489963?hash=ite … ABk9SR6TkpP6WYw

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.