VOGONS

Windows 95 on Cable Internet

Topic actions

First post, by Nathanrico04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys, i need a little help here. I have a Windows 95 PC, and i wanted to connect to the internet to use Retrozilla or play some Diablo and Quake on lan, but i am having some problems with that.

is connected from the modem to the computer, am i doing something wrong? and if yes, what i could do to make work?

Attachments

• Cable.jpg
    Filename
    Cable.jpg
    File size
    83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • Config.jpg
    Filename
    Config.jpg
    File size
    160.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • properties.jpg
    Filename
    properties.jpg
    File size
    143.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • winipcfg.jpg
    Filename
    winipcfg.jpg
    File size
    210.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 20, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Assuming this "modem" is also a NAT router (do not ever plug a retro system directly into a non-NAT modem where it might get a public IP), does it work if you plug in a modern computer instead?

Windows 95 supports DHCP, TCP/IP, etc, so... I'd like to think it should be able to get an IP if there's a DHCP server running on this "modem"

Reply 2 of 20, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well it depends on the modem you're using.
If it's a modem/router, then DHCP should work just fine.

If it's a PPPoE modem, i strongly advise to not use it because your Win95 system would be exposed online directly.

To help you recognize the type of modem you have, you can count the Ethernet ports.
If there is 4 or 6 or 8… then it's probably a modem router. If there's one, then It's probably an older PPPoE modem.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 3 of 20, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As others said, if it's a router it should work.
As for winipcfg, the box with the "PPP Adapter" is a dropdown. Select your network card there and check if it got its IP address.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 4 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

a lot of modern cable providers default to ipv6, that wont work on win95 😀 Yes, start by connecting normal modern system and verifying it works and you are getting ipv4.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 20, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is this a troll post? 🤣 Why on Earth do you need to connect any computer directly to a cable modem? Is this a combo modem/router box or something? At the very least you should have a NAT/PAT router with an integrated switch.

Reply 7 of 20, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Proof of concept, because reasons, just to see how fast it is cracked to death by some script kiddies or whatever reason.

I'd use a decent router anyway and disconnect other stuff that may be hacked by a "trusted" device (this win95 pc) in its own network. Looking at televisions and the microwave as well.

Stuck at 10MHz...

Reply 8 of 20, by Nathanrico04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
GL1zdA wrote on 2023-10-29, 19:40:

As others said, if it's a router it should work.
As for winipcfg, the box with the "PPP Adapter" is a dropdown. Select your network card there and check if it got its IP address.

it does not have, for some reason, maybe my network adapter is broken?

Reply 9 of 20, by Nathanrico04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-10-29, 19:42:

a lot of modern cable providers default to ipv6, that wont work on win95 😀 Yes, start by connecting normal modern system and verifying it works and you are getting ipv4.

I did that, works normally in other computer, no problem

Reply 10 of 20, by Nathanrico04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-29, 21:05:

Is this a troll post? 🤣 Why on Earth do you need to connect any computer directly to a cable modem? Is this a combo modem/router box or something? At the very least you should have a NAT/PAT router with an integrated switch.

No.
Look, sorry for that, english is not my native language, so with something like that, i may have some problems to explain that kinda stuff.
But what i am trying to explain is that the "modem" is the thing that provides the internet, you know, one tip of the cable go to the modem, and the other part go to de computer, and then you have internet, the same thing i do with my normal computer. So now i want to do the same with the win 95 pc, to play multiplayer.

I hope that this helps to explain

Reply 11 of 20, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To be fair, at least around here, most ISPs have been muddying the waters on what is a 'modem' for the past ~15 years or so. Just like the word "wifi" is completely misused...

And the local cable company here hasn't offered a straight modem in about 15 years. They're all gateways with a 4 port switch, a wifi access point, and built-in NAT functionality, and a 'bridge' mode if you want to use your own NAT router. It may be different with other cable companies though...

That being said, back in the day, people certainly did connect computers directly to cable modems! First dedicated home-grade NAT routers I think came out around 2000; Win98SE had its Internet Connection Sharing NAT a little before then. And before ICS came out... there was a thing people had, software NAT for Win9x that replaced Wingate which was a SOCKS proxy, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called now. I feel like the name started with an S... but I can't remember what it was called. (some people with extra hardware lying around also had a Linux/FreeBSD box for NAT, that was a popular thing to do)

Reply 12 of 20, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
waterbeesje wrote on 2023-10-29, 21:38:

Proof of concept, because reasons, just to see how fast it is cracked to death by some script kiddies or whatever reason.

I'd use a decent router anyway and disconnect other stuff that may be hacked by a "trusted" device (this win95 pc) in its own network. Looking at televisions and the microwave as well.

My apologies, then. That's actually a cool experiment. I wonder how many 9x worms are out there still port scanning away. "Internet background radiation" as Steve Gibson (Spinrite creator) says.

Reply 13 of 20, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-29, 22:46:
To be fair, at least around here, most ISPs have been muddying the waters on what is a 'modem' for the past ~15 years or so. Ju […]
Show full quote

To be fair, at least around here, most ISPs have been muddying the waters on what is a 'modem' for the past ~15 years or so. Just like the word "wifi" is completely misused...

And the local cable company here hasn't offered a straight modem in about 15 years. They're all gateways with a 4 port switch, a wifi access point, and built-in NAT functionality, and a 'bridge' mode if you want to use your own NAT router. It may be different with other cable companies though...

That being said, back in the day, people certainly did connect computers directly to cable modems! First dedicated home-grade NAT routers I think came out around 2000; Win98SE had its Internet Connection Sharing NAT a little before then. And before ICS came out... there was a thing people had, software NAT for Win9x that replaced Wingate which was a SOCKS proxy, I can't for the life of me remember what it was called now. I feel like the name started with an S... but I can't remember what it was called. (some people with extra hardware lying around also had a Linux/FreeBSD box for NAT, that was a popular thing to do)

Yes, obviously people did it in the past. But last I checked, this is the year 2023. Also, I specifically asked if it was a router/modem combo, if you had read my post fully. You make a lot of bizarre, pedantic assumptions about every post you see.

Last edited by kingcake on 2023-10-29, 23:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 20, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-29, 23:06:
To be fair, at least around here, most ISPs have been muddying the waters on what is a 'modem' for the past ~15 years or so. Ju […]
Show full quote

Yes, obviously people did it in the past. But last I checked, this is the year 2023. Also, I specifically asked if it was a router/modem combo, if you had read my post fully.

I did read your post... and I thought I was agreeing with you (and criticizing ISPs' poor confusing terminology), sorry... (and I had also asked the OP if it was a router/modem combo earlier up thread)

Reply 15 of 20, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not particularly concerned about instantly getting hacked by some virus or whatever by using some ancient computer, so I'm happy to connect a Win95 to the internet in the same fashion as any other computer.

These days the bad guys will send you a phishing email or unsolicited phone call, rather than trying to hack some random old machine.

The only thing I do differently is to manually allocate every one of my machines its own IP address and settings rather than using DHCP.

So I have 2 places that I use the internet, one has a telephone line going directly to the gateway device (modem, 4-way port etc), and the other place has a cable to a NBN device, this then connects to a gateway device (you can't connect the computer directly to the NBN thingy).

Therefore I'd suggest (if you're not worried about script kiddies) to connect the Win95 computer in exactly the same way as anything else in your house.

Reply 16 of 20, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robbbert wrote on 2023-10-29, 23:14:
I'm not particularly concerned about instantly getting hacked by some virus or whatever by using some ancient computer, so I'm h […]
Show full quote

I'm not particularly concerned about instantly getting hacked by some virus or whatever by using some ancient computer, so I'm happy to connect a Win95 to the internet in the same fashion as any other computer.

These days the bad guys will send you a phishing email or unsolicited phone call, rather than trying to hack some random old machine.

The only thing I do differently is to manually allocate every one of my machines its own IP address and settings rather than using DHCP.

So I have 2 places that I use the internet, one has a telephone line going directly to the gateway device (modem, 4-way port etc), and the other place has a cable to a NBN device, this then connects to a gateway device (you can't connect the computer directly to the NBN thingy).

Therefore I'd suggest (if you're not worried about script kiddies) to connect the Win95 computer in exactly the same way as anything else in your house.

Bad guys and script kiddies aren't the ones trying to hack old machines. It's other old machines that are infected, zombified, and doing it automatically. There's tons of old 9x machines still running industrial software out there just pumping out port scans.

Reply 17 of 20, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-29, 23:08:
kingcake wrote on 2023-10-29, 23:06:

Yes, obviously people did it in the past. But last I checked, this is the year 2023. Also, I specifically asked if it was a router/modem combo, if you had read my post fully.

I did read your post... and I thought I was agreeing with you (and criticizing ISPs' poor confusing terminology), sorry... (and I had also asked the OP if it was a router/modem combo earlier up thread)

You have quite the pedantic way of "agreeing" with people. I'm muting you. So there's no reason to ever reply to me again. I will not see it.

Reply 19 of 20, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you get a picture of your ethernet card? It's weird that Win95 is calling it "Driver Ndis2 existente"... did you upgrade from WfW 3.11 or something? Why is it calling at an NDIS2 (old) rather than specific model of the card.