VOGONS

Reply 20 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks. I'll take a look....

Unfortunately, that link you provided earlier isn't work right now. This one: https://warwickts.com/4405/W9327-68-Way-PLCC-Plug

I'm definitely not wanting to remove the PLCC socket on my motherboard. That should stay put.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 21 of 25, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The warwickts link is working again, the problem is the amount they want for shipping. 35 GBP, or $45. I contacted the supplier about this and he said there's a lower cost option for items under 50 GBP, but it wasn't showing up on checkout. The rep. then made some changes to the website, but the shipping was still 23.5 GBP, or $30 USD.

When I looked shipping for something small like this at Royal Mail, it should be more like 6.5 GBP. I inquired with the seller as to how they are obtaining their shipping amounts. The rep. told me that their shipping rates negotiated with Royal Mail and that they have a single rate to cover all shipments up to 30kg worldwide. They don’t use individual order weight shipping options because it is too time consuming.

Not sure if this is true or if they are just trying to gouge on shipping. Whatever the case may be, $52 USD to receive this item, plus cost of PCB, is too costly for me.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 22 of 25, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-22, 02:04:

what do you need jhooks for? idea is to solder first pcb directly to motherboard, then solder second pcb to first one 😀

For the PLCC socket contact points.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 23 of 25, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote on 2023-06-22, 19:46:

The warwickts link is working again, the problem is the amount they want for shipping. 35 GBP, or $45. I contacted the supplier about this and he said there's a lower cost option for items under 50 GBP, but it wasn't showing up on checkout. The rep. then made some changes to the website, but the shipping was still 23.5 GBP, or $30 USD.

When I looked shipping for something small like this at Royal Mail, it should be more like 6.5 GBP. I inquired with the seller as to how they are obtaining their shipping amounts. The rep. told me that their shipping rates negotiated with Royal Mail and that they have a single rate to cover all shipments up to 30kg worldwide. They don’t use individual order weight shipping options because it is too time consuming.

Not sure if this is true or if they are just trying to gouge on shipping. Whatever the case may be, $52 USD to receive this item, plus cost of PCB, is too costly for me.

Might want to check RS-online. They stock some of them, and that's where I ordered my PLCC-84 plug from. If I remember right, shipping was around $15 to the US.

My Github

Reply 24 of 25, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wiretap wrote on 2023-06-22, 20:17:

what do you need jhooks for? idea is to solder first pcb directly to motherboard, then solder second pcb to first one 😀

_ idea is to solder first pcb directly to motherboard_

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 25 of 25, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2023-06-22, 21:57:
wiretap wrote on 2023-06-22, 20:17:

_ idea is to solder first pcb directly to motherboard_

Seems ghetto. I'd rather retain a socket for easy swapping of different IC's/adapters.

My Github