VOGONS

First post, by MrSteelrose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i recently bought a pentium MMX 233 mhz computer and im wondering which voodoo card is best for my build? i have no agp slots.

My concern is that a voodoo 2 might be a bottleneck for the CPU and i might get compatibility issues playing older 3dfx games.

Pentium MMX 200mhz. s3 virge vx + voodoo 1 64 MB SDRAM
Pentium 2 300mhz geforce 2 gts + voodoo2 SLI 256 MB SDRAM
pentium 3 933 mhz voodoo3 3ooo AGP. 512 MB SDRAM
Pentium 4 2.8ghz geforce 4TI 4200
Intel 3770 geforce 780
Intel 10700k Geforce RTX 3080

Reply 1 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

V2 a bottleneck for P233MMX? Not likely, that P233MMX is going to be the bottleneck of this system.

The answer to your question depends largely on your OS. For DOS, V1 is preferred as games needed to specifically support the card and V1 support is most common. For Windows 9x that's not really an issue. Although I wouldn't run Win9x games on a P1 - it may be period-correct, but slideshow-like framerates are the one thing from the 1990s I don't want to see again. I run my V2 under Win98SE on a P3-1400S. There the V2 *is* the bottleneck 😉

Reply 2 of 5, by Socket3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Short answer is Voodoo 1 has better compatibility with early glide games, although there are patches for some of them to allow them to run on other 3dfx hardware (Uprising 1.05 comes to mind). But it's SLOW. You get "cinematic" frame-rates in most games for example, on my Compaq Despro 2000 (200MHZ pentium non-mmx) Quake 2 is only playable @512x384 - gl-quake is playable most of the time at 640x480 but it has slowdowns. Uprinsing runs at around 24-28 fps. Playable, but not enjoyable. On my Dell GX1 (333Mhz pentium 2) quake 1 is fully playable, quake 2 is playable(ish) @ 640x480 and uprising is very smooth but it will sometimes crash to desktop (CPU too fast?).

The voodoo 2 on the other hand seems to take some load off the CPU, so in my pentium 200, everything is butter-smooth even at 800x600 in most games, but some older games like pandemonium!, the original DOS carmageddon 3dfx patch, Uprising Join or Die (unpatches) and Tomb Raider (unpatches) will not run on it.

I'd say an 8mb voodoo 2 is a better match for a pentium 233MMX - it provides a much smoother experience. The voodoo 1 is just plain slow - my opinion. Maybe I've been spolied by modern hardware and constant 60fps....

There is another option... for the price of a voodoo 2 you might be able to find a PCI voodoo banshee - that gets you 2 birds with one stone. It's got an excelent 2d core with great dos compatibility, and it performs much faster then a voodoo 1 in glide. It't not as fast as a voodoo 2 but close, and it supports higher resolutions in games - like 1024x768 and higher in glquake. On a 450MHz pentium 2, a banshee can handle quake 2 @ 1024x768 fluently if you turn on 8 bit textures.

Reply 3 of 5, by Carrera

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can run a batch file or use commands in the autoexec.bat to make a Voodoo2 behave like a voodoo1. I have never had a problem with DOS games and a Voodoo2 acting like a Voodoo1.
I had something like 5-6 games, mostly flight sims and never had a problem.
Your experience may vary...

Reply 5 of 5, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Carrera wrote on 2022-11-09, 11:10:

You can run a batch file or use commands in the autoexec.bat to make a Voodoo2 behave like a voodoo1. I have never had a problem with DOS games and a Voodoo2 acting like a Voodoo1.
I had something like 5-6 games, mostly flight sims and never had a problem.
Your experience may vary...

+1