VOGONS

First post, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Something that really piqued my curiosity as of late are 8-bit computers such as the Apple II, Commodore 64, and the Atari 8-bit line of computers, and consoles such as the NES, and even the Sega Master System all having rectangular chips very close in size, and distance to each other. So cool that computing hardware was once this way, before switching to a combination of square and rectangular chips in the 90's. Does anyone know why it was that way for 8-bit machines? I also took a look at a lot of 286 and 386 motherboards, and they seem to have a common theme of square CPUs but rectangular everything else. Interesting stuff IMO.

Reply 1 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Convenience. Number of required pins for 8-bit CPU is usually low. Rectangular package is smaller/cheaper to make and can be socketed.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, I don't know for sure, but maybe due to the manufacturing process and or the board raster.
Originally, ICs were round (like transistors; TO-39,TO-18); like the original 741 op amp or 555 timer ic.
Later, they were made with the help of inductive furnances, maybe that's because things became more rectangular, dunno.
The high amount of pins and the standard circuit board rasters (pin spacing) may also influenced the shape of the semiconductors.
These are just some ideas, though. Maybe some other Vogons have a better explanation. I'm simply too young, I'm afraid. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 80286/80186 era used CLCC, too, though.
ZIF sockets in general were not cheap to produce, on the other hand.

The Motorola 68000/68010 was an extreme example of a CPU that used DIP/DIL, by the way. 😁

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 5 of 10, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One of the issues with rectangular packages is the uneven length of bond wires, which becomes an increasing issue with speed ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The finished silicon disc had to be diced in squares or rectangular.

Long rectangular IC is worst on real estate and packaging design, distance from bond point to the pin is all uneven effects the timing especially at high frequency. Best compact, even lengths are squares even the BGA.

Electrons travel time is 11 inches for one ns.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 8 of 10, by Mike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Makes perfect sense, and they look pretty easy to lift out compared to their more modern counterparts. Really cool to see how far we've come from then, and even from when I started my account here in 2004 at 13, and to think in that time technology has gone from one core at 3.5 Ghz to 6-8 cores at even higher speeds for each core, and the faster RAM we have these days. I'm going to be 30 this year; I think this is the longest I've had an account anywhere and glad to be posting about retro hardware to this day; classics never die! 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have absolutely no f*&^#@ idea at all...

Wait a minute. .......
Nobody likes squares!

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉