VOGONS

First post, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
i'm searching a capture card which is compatible with the PS1 video modes.
Mainly i use cheap USB video grabbers.
I used different models with different chipsets but they have all a problem.
When i capture at 352x288 it works fine, but i have missing lines.
This can be seen at fonts.
But when i use 720x576 then sometimes the screen is interlaced and sometimes progressive and i don't know why this happens.
After Yadif deinterlacing i have ghosting at the parts when the video was interlaced.

Now i want to try an old PCI card.
I found older cards from Leadtek and Pinnacle, but there are so many.
These are my requirements
-Compatible with PS1 PAL and NTSC video modes
-Capture with progressive frames
-S-Video and Composite input
-Windows XP compatible
-VirtualDub and DScaler compatible
-Acceptable picture quality

Has anyone a recommendation?

Enhanced for Matrox Mystique

Reply 1 of 7, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would instead suggest getting an OSSC and hooking that up to a modern capture card.

If you connect your PS1 to the OSSC using a RGB SCART cable, you will get pristine footage.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is likely nothing wrong with the capture card .

Have a look at this http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/06/r … apture.html?m=1

Additionally, if I am not mistaken, the PS1 can output actual 480i (IN NTSC land) in some circumstances, this will need to be deinterlaced.

Reply 3 of 7, by mothergoose729

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-06-09, 17:55:

Have a look at this http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/2016/06/r … apture.html?m=1

Additionally, if I am not mistaken, the PS1 can output actual 480i (IN NTSC land) in some circumstances, this will need to be deinterlaced.

Tekken 3, Chrono Cross, and Silent Hill being the most notable examples.

Reply 4 of 7, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-06-09, 17:23:

I would instead suggest getting an OSSC and hooking that up to a modern capture card.

If you connect your PS1 to the OSSC using a RGB SCART cable, you will get pristine footage.

This is a very expensive option.
Btw. i like the retro look of using composite or s-video.

I know this, but i think you misunderstood this.
As example in WipeOut 2097 (PAL).
I start a race then it's progressive, when i crash into a wall then it's interlaced and i have the ghosting effect.
After replug the videocable it's progressive again.
That issue only happens at 720x576, with 352x288 this will not happen.
At PS2 games i have no problems, the're interlaced and after deinterlacing there is no ghosting.

Reply 5 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
anakin94 wrote on 2021-06-09, 18:34:
This is a very expensive option. Btw. i like the retro look of using composite or s-video. […]
Show full quote
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-06-09, 17:23:

This is a very expensive option.
Btw. i like the retro look of using composite or s-video.

I know this, but i think you misunderstood this.
As example in WipeOut 2097 (PAL).
I start a race then it's progressive, when i crash into a wall then it's interlaced and i have the ghosting effect.
After replug the videocable it's progressive again.
That issue only happens at 720x576, with 352x288 this will not happen.
At PS2 games i have no problems, the're interlaced and after deinterlacing there is no ghosting.

Thank you for the added details, I had indeed misunderstood . My hands-on experience with 240p/288p is practically non-existent and a long way behind me . That being said, what you are describing does look like the capture card reacting badly to what the console is outputting . Maybe a field being skipped for some reason puts the card in a weird state that is corrected when video input is toggled .

My experience with standard definition video capture has consisted mostly of VHS content .
I have mainly used
a) Conexant/Brooktree BT878 PCI based capture cards
b) Conexant CX2388x based PCI capture cards
c) Philips SAA7113 based capture devices (USB devices typically using an Empia USB controller)
d) JVC DR-M70 (standalone DVD recorder)
e) AJA Kona LHE and AJA Kona LH with breakout box (pro grade capture card)

Of the above, options a), b) and c) are inexpensive and worth a try (check OS/driver support first).

Also, what capture cards are you currently using (which chipsets) and have you tried different drivers ? EDIT : The reason I ask is that practically every recent-ish USB capture card that I have seen uses an Empia controller with an SAA7113 or a clone (maybe licensed?)), so if all the cards you have tested so far are similar in this way, having them exhibit the same behaviour would not be all that surprising .

Reply 6 of 7, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2021-06-09, 22:26:

Thank you for the added details, I had indeed misunderstood . My hands-on experience with 240p/288p is practically non-existent and a long way behind me . That being said, what you are describing does look like the capture card reacting badly to what the console is outputting . Maybe a field being skipped for some reason puts the card in a weird state that is corrected when video input is toggled .

That is a very interesting guess and could be true.
Because i read that the PS1 doesn't output ~50 Hz (PAL), it gives ~49,8 Hz out.
VirtualDub also says 24,88fps.

Also, what capture cards are you currently using (which chipsets) and have you tried different drivers ? EDIT : The reason I ask is that practically every recent-ish USB capture card that I have seen uses an Empia controller with an SAA7113 or a clone (maybe licensed?)), so if all the cards you have tested so far are similar in this way, having them exhibit the same behaviour would not be all that surprising .

These usb grabber chipsets i currently have:
-Fushicai UTV007
-SMI-2021
-STK1160
-eMPIA 2861
-eMPIA 2863

Yes, i have tested a lot of drivers.
Because some older drivers working better, for example with the later STK1160 drivers i had issues with the framerate.
The newer drivers only offered 30fps instead of 25fps.
For the PS2 and PC make the Empia chipsets the best picture quality.
For the PS1 (when it's not interlaced at the moment) is the STK1160 the best at S-Video and the UTV007 offers the best picture quality with composite.
But the UTV007 has the worst ghosting issues.
The SMI-2021 chipset cut the screen at the bottom.

These chipsets i don't have anymore.
Because some of them dropped frames or doesn't accept the PS1 video signal or not supporting 25fps for PAL.
-0B-MBA22N
-XYUSB01/XYUSB02
-XYUTV007S
-MS2106

My experience with standard definition video capture has consisted mostly of VHS content . I have mainly used a) Conexant/Broo […]
Show full quote

My experience with standard definition video capture has consisted mostly of VHS content .
I have mainly used
a) Conexant/Brooktree BT878 PCI based capture cards
b) Conexant CX2388x based PCI capture cards
c) Philips SAA7113 based capture devices (USB devices typically using an Empia USB controller)
d) JVC DR-M70 (standalone DVD recorder)
e) AJA Kona LHE and AJA Kona LH with breakout box (pro grade capture card)

Of the above, options a), b) and c) are inexpensive and worth a try (check OS/driver support first).

Thank you.
I not found cards with exactly the same chipsets, but i found 2 PCI cards with Philips and Brooktree chips.
-Miro Video PCTV (Brooktree BT848KPF)
-Pinnacle Systems PCTV 300i Mini TV (Philips SAA7134HL)

There are offered together for 3 Euro+shipping.
I will try them.
I searched for booth chipsets for a datasheet and booth of them supporting hardware scaling.
Probably my USB grabbers doesn't support hardware scaling and maybe that's the reason why the picture is at 352x288 so shitty.

Reply 7 of 7, by anakin94

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today i got them.
Both are working fine under Windows XP and Windows 7 64 Bit.
Sadly they have the same problems.
But i found a solution for this ghosting issue.
The solution is to set the Yadif Deinterlacing filter at capturing.
Before, i tried to deinterlace the video after capturing.
That takes me of the opportunity to record with DScaler, but VirtualDub working also fine.
I still doesn't understand why it not working properly after capturing.
I tested many filters and programs and all results were the same, or did i'm something wrong?
But glad im happy to have a solution.

EDIT: I know now why this ghosting happen if i deinterlacing after capturing.
It was because i recorded with YUV 4:2:0.
If i record with the input colorspace, then i can deinterlace after capturing without ghosting.

The Miro Video PCTV has a nice picture quality:

Attachments

• Crash_Demo_BT848KPF.png
    Filename
    Crash_Demo_BT848KPF.png
    File size
    502.88 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Miro Video PCTV S-Video - Crash Bandicoot (Demo One V4)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception