VOGONS

First post, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys,

I'm trying to upgrade my badass Pentium Pro machine with an Pentium II 333MHz Overdrive CPU. However the factory cooler is loud an not good for overclocking, so I have to find a solution.

Currently I'm experimenting with copper pads and may on the top one I could fit my Zalman CNPS90F CPU cooler. Here how is the experiment look like,

gaHtvSU.jpg
O9zTjzn.jpg

any better idea?

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Should work ok as long as you used just enough compound to eliminate air pockets. Is that Arctic MX-4 or Arctic Silver 5 compound ? Arctic MX-4 is non conductive/non capacitive. Silver 5 is non conductive but is capacitive and should not be used anywhere it can get on traces, pads, etc. I like the Ceramic or MX-4 for places that has pads and traces nearby like in your situation.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The cache chip's plated octagon shaped top is made of copper and is not needed for shim, the bare die does need copper shim to get even height with the cache IC. See if you can do that way and use larger heatsink to clamp on and work?

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 3, by Atom Ant

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wait a minute, the octagone shaped chip is the cache? Anyway i need to buy now fine sandpaper, because the copper pads have sides and i have to make them perfectly even.
Thanks for the paste warning, i will be careful with!

My high end of '96 gaming machine;
Intel PR440FX - Pentium Pro 200MHz 512K, Matrox Millenium I 4MB, Creative 3D Blaster Voodoo II 12MB SLI, 128MB EDO RAM, Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold, 4x Creative CD reader, Windows 95...