User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have a retro gaming pc comprised of:
- A Soltek SL-67B Slot 1 motherboard
- A Pentium 3 Katmai 450 Mhz CPU
- 128 MB PC133 RAM
- A Voodoo 3 2000 AGP
- A Sound Blaster Live (can't remember exact model)

It's been decent but I've been wondering about trying to upgrade the CPU for better performance on later 90s games in 1024x768 resolutions and also to see if I could get some very early 2000s games running. The problem is I don't really know enough to determine what Pentium 3's this old motherboard can handle. I know it's using the Intel 440BX chipset which means I'm limited to processors with an FSB of 100Mhz (I don't feel up to messing around with overclocking) - but does that mean I could throw any Pentium 3 like a Coppermine model in there and it would work as long as it's a model with 100Mhz FSB? Unfortunately I can't find any kind of CPU compatibility list for this motherboard. I did find a manual online, but it's old and only mentions the Deschutes model of Pentium 2s. It seems to be working fine with my Katmai 450Mhz so I'm guessing it's not actually restricted to only P2s but I don't know how far I could push it. These old CPUs aren't as cheap as they used to be up where I am in Canada so I'm reluctant to just buy one and see what happens.

Any help would be appreciated!

"Typical. Can't read the instructions, just like those Japanese models." -Arthur

Reply 1 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to this list, your mitherboard should work fine with Coppermine CPUs. You may need to update the BIOS though.

http://biosupdate.runboard.com/t7

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 3 of 11, by cybernet3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
cyclone3d wrote:

According to this list, your mitherboard should work fine with Coppermine CPUs. You may need to update the BIOS though.

http://biosupdate.runboard.com/t7

Looks like it's not meant to be after all - I found the BIOS update that provides Coppermine support but according to the notes it only works with boards that have a particular Vcore controller that can provide the lower voltage that Coppermine CPUs need. After going over every inch of my board I finally found the part in question and the part number didn't match what was in the notes so I'm not sure it will work. Of course I guess I could always try and see what happens but considering the price of Slot 1 CPUs up where I am I think it would just be a safer use of my money to get a "newer" motherboard that supports cheaper, easier to find CPUs.

Thanks for your help anyway though.

Wish I'd done this much research and forethought when I hastily slapped this machine together years ago when parts were really cheap 😅

"Typical. Can't read the instructions, just like those Japanese models." -Arthur

Reply 4 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cybernet3000 wrote:

After going over every inch of my board I finally found the part in question and the part number didn't match what was in the notes so I'm not sure it will work.

What is the part number on your board ?

Reply 5 of 11, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If your bios supports coppermine cpu's and the voltage regulator will go down to at least 1,8v you can run coppermine cpu's.

The board needs to set the voltage straight away so you can mod the cpu (or cpu slot). Much easier is to simply buy a coppermine capable slotket adapter and a coppermine s370 cpu. Set this adapter at 1,8v and it should run fine.

And another option is to simply use a katmai 2,0v 600mhz cpu to have at least an upgrade, without any issues.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 6 of 11, by cybernet3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote:
cybernet3000 wrote:

After going over every inch of my board I finally found the part in question and the part number didn't match what was in the notes so I'm not sure it will work.

The part number on my board says "HIP6017CB". According to the BIOS download I found it needs to be 6018BCB. Having said that, I have no idea how reliable the notes on the download are, I'm not sure how to reliably determine how much voltage this board can do.

meljor wrote:

Much easier is to simply buy a coppermine capable slotket adapter and a coppermine s370 cpu. Set this adapter at 1,8v and it should run fine.

And another option is to simply use a katmai 2,0v 600mhz cpu to have at least an upgrade, without any issues.

Unfortunately this is where living where I do is working against me - the only Slotkets I could find on eBay with shipping to Canada didn't seem to have any way to set the voltage except for possibly one, which cost about as much as some Socket 370 motherboards I saw that would have a much higher chance of working properly. The 600 mhz Katmai processors that were available up here weren't much cheaper either. Socket 370 coppermines still seem to be pretty inexpensive though which is why I'm leaning towards just getting another motherboard.

Reply 7 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cybernet3000 wrote:
PARKE wrote:
cybernet3000 wrote:

The part number on my board says "HIP6017CB". According to the BIOS download I found it needs to be 6018BCB. Having said that, I have no idea how reliable the notes on the download are, I'm not sure how to reliably determine how much voltage this board can do.

This is your lucky day.
According to the datasheet (see attached):
"The HIP6017B includes an Intel-compatible, TTL 5-input digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that adjusts the core PWM output voltage from 2.1VDC to 3.5VDC in 0.1V increments and from 1.3VDC to 2.05VDC in 0.05V steps."
and that is exactly what you need for Coppermine cpu's.

Attachments

• Filename
    HIP6017CB.pdf
    File size
    141.68 KiB
    Downloads
    35 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 11, by cybernet3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote:
This is your lucky day. According to the datasheet (see attached): "The HIP6017B includes an Intel-compatible, TTL 5-input digit […]
Show full quote

This is your lucky day.
According to the datasheet (see attached):
"The HIP6017B includes an Intel-compatible, TTL 5-input digital-to-analog converter (DAC) that adjusts the core PWM output voltage from 2.1VDC to 3.5VDC in 0.1V increments and from 1.3VDC to 2.05VDC in 0.05V steps."
and that is exactly what you need for Coppermine cpu's.

I have no idea how you found that but wow, that's amazing. That certainly opens up my options a lot more! Thanks so much for your help here!

Reply 9 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cybernet3000 wrote:

I have no idea how you found that but wow, that's amazing. That certainly opens up my options a lot more! Thanks so much for your help here!

Google is your friend. Typing in a chip part number will lead you often to various relevant websites.
This is one of them:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/catalog/p484080.shtml

Your options are now wider, but the choice what is best for you is not necessarily easier.
Personally I would go for a Coppermine supporting slotket with for example a Celeron 1000/1100 or a S370 PIII 850 fsb 100. Higher rated S370 PIII fsb 100 cpu's are harder to find and relatively expensive.
Another possiblity is a SECC PIII 600E (fsb 100) which easily overclocks to 800 Mhz @ fsb 133.
Or a SECC PIII 1Ghz fsb 133 which you can run @ 750Mhz fsb 100.
The problem is that 1Ghz fsb 100 SECC's are rare and extremely expensive. The second best SECC fsb 100 is the PIII 800 Mhz but these are also not easy to find, and the same goes for the next choice = SECC PIII 750 fsb 100. Anyway, good luck ! 😀

Reply 10 of 11, by cybernet3000

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PARKE wrote:
Google is your friend. Typing in a chip part number will lead you often to various relevant websites. This is one of them: http: […]
Show full quote
cybernet3000 wrote:

Google is your friend. Typing in a chip part number will lead you often to various relevant websites.
This is one of them:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/catalog/p484080.shtml

Your options are now wider, but the choice what is best for you is not necessarily easier.
Personally I would go for a Coppermine supporting slotket with for example a Celeron 1000/1100 or a S370 PIII 850 fsb 100. Higher rated S370 PIII fsb 100 cpu's are harder to find and relatively expensive.
Another possiblity is a SECC PIII 600E (fsb 100) which easily overclocks to 800 Mhz @ fsb 133.
Or a SECC PIII 1Ghz fsb 133 which you can run @ 750Mhz fsb 100.
The problem is that 1Ghz fsb 100 SECC's are rare and extremely expensive. The second best SECC fsb 100 is the PIII 800 Mhz but these are also not easy to find, and the same goes for the next choice = SECC PIII 750 fsb 100. Anyway, good luck ! 😀

I'm a little wary of overclocking, just because I don't fully understand what effect that would have on my Voodoo3, since I know bumping the FSB up to 133 on 440BX chips also bumps up the AGP slot's clock speed.

Those 1ghz Celeron's would probably be my cheapest option, just because like you said high speed 100mhz fsb Pentiums seem to be really hard to find. I haven't been able to find any solid info on what their performance is like though with half the L2 cache - I don't know what that actually means in terms of actual performance. I hadn't really considered the possibility of getting a 133mhz fsb Pentium and only running it at 100mhz for performance that would still be a step up from what I have now... but considering how much cheaper the 133mhz chips seem to be compared to the 100mhz ones that might be worth considering.

Also worth considering is the possibility of someone willing to sell me an 815 chipset motherboard for a really low price, but that's not a sure thing.

Thank you again for your help!

Reply 11 of 11, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For as far as I have followed various discussions here over time it seems that many people feel that running the Voodoo 3 at 89Mhz (133*2/3) does not harm it but I have also come across a couple of observations of instability at that speed.
Here is a relevant thread:
50 to 133MHz FSB on a BX Mainboard

Comparing some Celerons with Pentium I learned this:
ooooo
Celeron 1Ghz/100/128Kbcache
is +/-10% slower than
Pentium 1GHz/133/256Kbcache
ooooo
Celeron 1.1Ghz/100/128Kbcache
is +/-6.5% faster than
Celeron 1Ghz/100/128Kbcache
ooooo
And Celeron 1Ghz/100/128Kbcache is approximately 5% faster than the Pentium 850/100/256Kbcache.
But this is via benchmarking in 3DMark99, in other software results may vary substantially.

Also, I have a Voodoo 3 2000 here and tried it out with various cpu's. In my limited experience I found that the sweet spot for cpu speed is around 700/800 Mhz. Anything faster will have very little or no effect on video performance. That is also why you do not need to go for a Tualatin system because your Voodoo will not be able to take advantage of that sort of cpu speeds.