VOGONS

89/90 best sound card

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 30, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What a terrible article; it even lists SB16 as being 8-bit mono 44.1kHz, and not having "Hi-Fi" sound quality. BS!

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 21 of 30, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

The DSP can be upgraded on these though, to add the improved auto-init DMA from the SB 2.0, which cures the popping and clicking (in theory, because software has to make use of it, and most software targets the lowest common denominator, so you even get clicks and pops on SB16/AWE).

OK, but what's the point in pursuing a rarer and more expensive card just to replace part of what makes it unique? 😀 If you want the functionality of a SB 2.0, just get a SB 2.0. They're more common and cheaper, AND already have auto-init DMA pre-installed. Even better yet, get an SB Pro 2.0 for around the same price and have auto-init DMA, stereo DAC, OPL2 compatibility, the option to use OPL3 for the .. I dunno .. 1 game that might use it and still run on a 386, and because why not, get a free CD-ROM interface (if you don't mind sourcing a somewhat pricey Panasonic 2x drive).

I do love the original Sound Blasters because nostalgia, but they really aren't very desirable from a technical perspective. Neither is the Ad Lib. Not when a later card can do everything those can do just as well, plus way more, and can actually be had for less than the price of a black-market kidney.

Reply 22 of 30, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SirNickity wrote:

OK, but what's the point in pursuing a rarer and more expensive card just to replace part of what makes it unique? 😀

My point was rather that some SB 1.0/1.5 cards may have already been upgraded (one reason to upgrade was better support for sample-playing in Windows). In fact, I believe that later SB1.x cards actually came with the new DSP from the factory.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 23 of 30, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
canthearu wrote:

Yep, i threw an Adlib card away several years ago.

I do regret doing that, even though my motivation at the time was sound.

Hope I'm not the only one who laughed out loud at this.

Reply 24 of 30, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:
SirNickity wrote:

OK, but what's the point in pursuing a rarer and more expensive card just to replace part of what makes it unique? 😀

My point was rather that some SB 1.0/1.5 cards may have already been upgraded (one reason to upgrade was better support for sample-playing in Windows). In fact, I believe that later SB1.x cards actually came with the new DSP from the factory.

I remember reading another thread on here recently that stated most of the existing SB 1.0/1.5 cards have already been upgraded to DSP V2.00, and finding one with an earlier version is actually quite difficult.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 25 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Anonymous Coward wrote:
Scali wrote:
SirNickity wrote:

I remember reading another thread on here recently that stated most of the existing SB 1.0/1.5 cards have already been upgraded to DSP V2.00, and finding one with an earlier version is actually quite difficult.

How I can check the DSP version of my CT1320C sound blaster card?

Reply 26 of 30, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's probably labeled on the DSP chip itself. Mine has "V1.05" etched into the label. Alternatively, use the test-sbc.exe utility to probe the card. It'll show you the DSP version.

IMG_5748.PNG
Filename
IMG_5748.PNG
File size
420 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 27 of 30, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sune Salminen wrote:
canthearu wrote:

No, BTW, I got a chuckle out of it too. I was really hoping it was intentional. It sounded like something I would say, just lying there, all sneaky-like, for anyone that happened to notice. 😉

Reply 28 of 30, by Baoran

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SirNickity wrote:

It's probably labeled on the DSP chip itself. Mine has "V1.05" etched into the label. Alternatively, use the test-sbc.exe utility to probe the card. It'll show you the DSP version.

The attachment IMG_5748.PNG is no longer available

Mine just says DSP-1321, so I probably have to wait until I actually use the card in a computer and use that utility to find out.

CT1320C.jpg
Filename
CT1320C.jpg
File size
1.79 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 29 of 30, by SirNickity

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can't tell for sure, but that looks like a sticker. If your curiosity is more important than its OEM state, you could probably peel it off and see what's under it. Mine is a bare laser-etched IC. Or just wait and see.

Reply 30 of 30, by canthearu

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SirNickity wrote:
Sune Salminen wrote:
canthearu wrote:

No, BTW, I got a chuckle out of it too. I was really hoping it was intentional. It sounded like something I would say, just lying there, all sneaky-like, for anyone that happened to notice. 😉

Yeah, I did notice the pun before I posted it, I was trying to remove it because I thought it might be confusing. But I couldn't think of a better way of saying it in the end and decided to run with it 😀