VOGONS

First post, by markot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been storing older ATX power supplies because they have the -5 voltage output, needed for some ISA cards.

I just can't keep all of these power supplies anymore, so do old ATX motherboards with ISA slots work correctly without the -5 voltage if I decide to buy new ATX power supplies later?

Or if I need to create some adapter, can the -5 volt be created from the 12 volt output instead of the -12 volt output? The -12 volt output seems to be quite often on new power supplies just 0.3 A.

Reply 1 of 3, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most motherboards should work without the -5V. It was used mostly by some specific sound cards so unless you have one of those you should be fine (and I believe there are adapters that give you -5V if you need it).

However, you will probably experience problems with old power hungry configurations (Athlon XP in particular) because those need strong +5V & +3.3V rails which are generally weaker on modern ATX power supplies, as mostly +12V is used nowadays...

Reply 2 of 3, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can get adapters that add the -5v to newer power supplies from eBay seller antronst.

They have them in every configuration possible.

You will want to use a minimum of a 300-350w newer power supply to make sure you have enough amperage on the 3.3v and 5v rails.

I've pretty much given up on old power supplies as well. The newer ones are so much better anyway. Higher efficiency, better regulation, better protection, power fault correction, etc.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK