VOGONS

First post, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know this thing is capable of 3D because I've seen benchmarks for it in various games. According to Vintage3D the card runs in more games than I would have expected, mine however locks up every time I try to run a 3D application. I can't even run the 3D test in DirectX. I wonder could it be a problem with the card or the drivers because the card runs perfectly fine with 2D.

Would the beta driver make a difference

S3 Windows 9x Beta Display Driver v.1.00.37 for Trio3D/2X (DeviceID 8A13)
Trio 3D2X win 9x 1.00.28 MS Logo'd

Those two drivers are available on S3's apparently still up and running website although it is down at the moment so I can't download them.

I couldn't have downloaded and installed the Windows 3.1 driver in Windows 98 could I?

Reply 1 of 3, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The site appears to be up now: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/drivers/legacy_s … re_archive.aspx - just verify that you are downloading the correct drivers, by referring to the chipset (part numbers) on your graphics card.
However, I've attached the drivers that I downloaded a while ago

Filename
S3 Trio 3D 2X.zip
File size
2.19 MiB
Downloads
1335 downloads
File comment
S3 Trio3D/2X drivers
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

If you have any drivers currently installed, uninstall all graphics drivers and start again.

Reply 2 of 3, by wbc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
21603 wrote:

the card runs perfectly fine with 2D.

offtop: but they removed 32bpp modes (supported by ViRGE/GX2, one of direct predecessors) from Windows drivers, while they work without issues under VBE 2.0 *facepalm* 🤣

--wbcbz7

Reply 3 of 3, by foxbat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jesolo wrote on 2016-10-26, 18:10:

The site appears to be up now: http://www.s3graphics.com/en/drivers/legacy_s … re_archive.aspx - just verify that you are downloading the correct drivers, by referring to the chipset (part numbers) on your graphics card.
However, I've attached the drivers that I downloaded a while ago
S3 Trio 3D 2X.zip

I have S3Trio3D/2x 4MB SDRAM card with 'Fastware' sticker on BIOS chip. Tried all driver packs on Windows 98SE from vogonsdrivers.com and none worked for me. The one you provided works perfectly together with 3D. Please upload the driver pack to vogonsdrivers.com that others can find and use! Thanks!