VOGONS

First post, by catchaserguns

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My windows xp machine started to reboot every 10 minutes and when it does i get a window suffering from a major error. I turned off the automatic reboot and I get some sort of irq error saying not equal to or less. I look it up on Google and its supposed to be some driver error which the driver is not compatible. I ran a virus and spyware scan a few hours before and no sign of anything. I ran the virus protection when I went to a cheat website and I got a voice warning that a virus was put on my computer. Any suggestions will help.

Reply 1 of 4, by Skyscraper

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its very likely a faulty memory stick, sometimes memory sticks go bad for no good reason at all.

Or it could be something a virus did but blue screens and random reboots are typical for faulty memory.

New PC: i9 12900K @5GHz all cores @1.2v. MSI PRO Z690-A. 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14. 3070Ti.
Old PC: Dual Xeon X5690@4.6GHz, EVGA SR-2, 48GB DDR3R@2000MHz, Intel X25-M. GTX 980ti.
Older PC: K6-3+ 400@600MHz, PC-Chips M577, 256MB SDRAM, AWE64, Voodoo Banshee.

Reply 2 of 4, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Second that.
Unstable voltage to an error-free memory module can also result in the same error. So the PSU and/or motherboard VRM can also be problematic. Test the memory modules separately in another computer first then test the motherboard with another PSU etc... You can also install software to monitor and log voltage fluctuation for RAM as if you were testing overclocking.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 4 of 4, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sf78 wrote:

Also check the caps on the mainboard and PSU for any leaks. Usual symptoms are random boots when the power goes bad.

This should be the first thing you check. All that other testing is for not if you have bad caps on the motherboard or in the power-supply.

Matthew