VOGONS

First post, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello again!

I've been playing around with sound settings trying to get Interstate '76 to work on my Pentium II Win 95 machine. In another thread someone suggested the issues might be due to audio acceleration; DxDiag reports many errors with my SB32 card, and I have no audio acceleration options to turn on or off.

Also, the Creative Mixer throws an error when I run it. The card is a CT 3930, with both SIMMs installed. My research indicated it used the same driver package as the AWE32, despite having a Vibra 16 chip. So I used the AWE32 driver CD from the Vogons driver page to install it. It seems to work fine, but I'm seeing those aforementioned errors in DxDiag, and of course it COULD be the culprit behind I76 refusing to start.

Any thoughts? Need any additional info? Let me know!

Reply 1 of 7, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In dxdiag when you go to the sound tab, there is a slider for acceleration and also tests you can run. Does it only do tests when the slider is all the way to the left?

I had the same with an AudioPCI card. In games the sound was lagging behind the action.

To be honest switching cards is recommended. I really like the Vortex 2 sound chip for these early 3D games.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 7, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, but where I would expect the slider to be: no slider. 😀 Is that a likely issue with the drivers? Running audio tests throws an error code.

The only other ISA sound card I have is, I believe, an AWE64 value.

Reply 5 of 7, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried to install Interstate '76 on a Windows 2000 machine, and it won't even completely install. So maybe I76 is just a crappy game? The 2000 box is a very unstable machine to begin with though, not sure if that's a Win 2k thing or the specific machine.

Oh boy. Everything's broken these days.

Reply 7 of 7, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is your ISO an auto installer?

If not, which drivers should I be using for the SB32? There don't seem to be any drivers on the drive page for that specific model. Not sure if I should use SB16 drivers to match the chipset (or Vibra drivers), or if I should use AWE32 drives, since the SB32 is supposed to be treated like an AWE32 by most software.