VOGONS

First post, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How comfortable would you guys/girls feel about your heatsink touching 3 capacitors and also the power connector?

As you can see from the 4 photos, it's a very tight fit. There is not really much pressure against the capacitors nor the power connector but I'm still feeling a little uncomfortable. I haven't yet powered up the board as I was just getting it prepared until a couple of other parts I've been waiting for arrive so I can start my next project.

I do have other coolers which are smaller but I really wanted to use this Thermaltake Volcano 7 as it has a blue heatsink and will look nice considering the ram heatsinks, motherboard and graphics card are all blue.

Board is a 440BX Gigabyte GA-6BX7+. Cpu is a pin modded P3 1.4Ghz Tully.

Attachments

• Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    1.96 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.07 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
  • Filename
    image.jpg
    File size
    2.3 MiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license

Reply 1 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

since it's the cpu heatsink and it does not pressure the caps I wouldn't mind if there was no other way to install it

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well there definitely isn't any other way to install it unfortunately. I'm more concerned about the heat from the heatsink touching the capacitors. Not too concerned about vibration from the cpu fan as given the tight fit, I highly doubt there's going to be any vibration occurring.

Reply 3 of 14, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
borgie83 wrote:

Well there definitely isn't any other way to install it unfortunately. I'm more concerned about the heat from the heatsink touching the capacitors. Not too concerned about vibration from the cpu fan as given the tight fit, I highly doubt there's going to be any vibration occurring.

Cooler looks decent enough that it shouldn't matter.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z

Reply 4 of 14, by Solarstorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only problem i see is that you might can't connect the ATX connector.
The caps should be no Problem they don't look like they're under tension or something.
Perhaps the Caps will dry out sooner that near at the heatsink but they're rated 105°C so that should take a while.

My YouTube Channel

Reply 5 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Solarstorm wrote:

The only problem i see is that you might can't connect the ATX connector.
The caps should be no Problem they don't look like they're under tension or something.
Perhaps the Caps will dry out sooner that near at the heatsink but they're rated 105°C so that should take a while.

The ATX connector wont be an issue as the plastic lug the connector grabs onto is pointing outwards so it should fit straight on.

Regarding the caps, there is a slight bit of tension but not enough to be pushing them to the side. More just rubbing against them than anything.

Reply 6 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

On another note, the cpu fan pictured originally had the positive + negative wires connected to one 3 pin connector and the RPM wire connected to another 3 pin connector. The cooler came with an additional molex connector to plug the positive + negative 3 pin connector into it to obtain power from the psu leaving the RPM wire to connect to the motherboard by itself. I understand that Thermaltake did this due to the fan possibly requiring additional power compared to normal fans but I removed the RPM wire from its connector and placed it into the same 3 pin connector as the positive + negative making it a standard 3 pin connector.

Do you guys believe this will be ok or should I revert back to having the positive + negative on one 3 pin connector and the RPM wire on the other 3 pin connector?

Reply 7 of 14, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like the only reason for separating the wires was so that it could be plugged directly to the PSU so as not to overload the motherboard connector. Unless it's a very powerful fan then I wouldn't be worried about it. Unfortunately most motherboards don't have documentation of what the amperage limits are for their connectors.

The CPU heatsink probably won't get hot enough to bother those caps, since it has a fan. If it was a burning hot passive heatsink it might be a bigger problem.
It looks like those are cheap caps though. I can't make out the brands but they don't look like any of the reputable ones. I notice some of them say "LE" on them - I hope that's not GSC LE, because GSC are some of the worst from what I've seen. If you're able to replace capacitors then I'd suggest recapping this board with some quality caps, then you shouldn't have to worry about them anymore.

Reply 8 of 14, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
borgie83 wrote:

On another note, the cpu fan pictured originally had the positive + negative wires connected to one 3 pin connector and the RPM wire connected to another 3 pin connector. The cooler came with an additional molex connector to plug the positive + negative 3 pin connector into it to obtain power from the psu leaving the RPM wire to connect to the motherboard by itself. I understand that Thermaltake did this due to the fan possibly requiring additional power compared to normal fans but I removed the RPM wire from its connector and placed it into the same 3 pin connector as the positive + negative making it a standard 3 pin connector.

Do you guys believe this will be ok or should I revert back to having the positive + negative on one 3 pin connector and the RPM wire on the other 3 pin connector?

Should be fine. A lot of coolers from "back then" did that to allow the fan to be hooked up to a separate fan controller (remember those?), but left the RPM lead so you could monitor that as well. Combining it shouldn't harm a thing. 😀

As far as the caps, I'd be most concerned about installing/uninstalling the heatsink, that you don't kick any of them, but being that close once mounted it shouldn't damage anything since it isn't bending any of them to fit, and if it's running at 100* C you have bigger problems. 😵

Reply 9 of 14, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always hated the Volcano 7 - ar full rpm it sounds like a helicopter taking off. I'd also be replacing that chipset heatsink with a large fan-less heatsink.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 10 of 14, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You really ought to replace those capacitors. Judging by the vent style, they look like Hermei, which is a very poor quality brand. Running a Tualatin adds to capacitor stress because of the higher power draw, and it also doesn't help that these capacitors have aged after all these years. Vintage systems also need clean power from a quality power supply just like modern systems do, so don't just assume you can drop in any old PSU and expect it to run reliably.

On older 486/Pentium systems you can get away with all this because of the relatively miniscule power draw.

Reply 11 of 14, by borgie83

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, just checked. The capacitors in question are branded Choyo. I read up on these and they are quite poor in quality but what capacitors were really good back in 1999-2001... I've had 4 gigabyte boards from this era and all had between 2-3 bulging or leaking capacitors.

I don't really want to replace the capacitors as yet because this board is brand new and the power supply is fairly decent (Corsair GS600 2013 edition) so I'm guessing there shouldn't be too much trouble along the way. Back then, capacitors failed not just because of their poor quality during "the great capacitor plague" but because the power supply's that tended to be used were also of quite poor quality. Cooling in a lot older cases was also inadequate which is another thing I won't have to worry about with my case (Corsair 600T White Edition).

Reply 12 of 14, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

Back then, capacitors failed not just because of their poor quality during "the great capacitor plague" but because the power supply's that tended to be used were also of quite poor quality. Cooling in a lot older cases was also inadequate which is another thing I won't have to worry about with my case (Corsair 600T White Edition).

Yea, we didn't have as wide a selection of PSUs back then as we have today. Keep in mind that capacitors don't always bulge and that capacitors can fail in storage without any use. As for which capacitors were reliable back then... Japanese brands. Asus boards always used them up until the late P3/early P4 era. Gigabyte's P4 boards had near 100% failure rates with OST caps on the VRM.

Reply 14 of 14, by TELVM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
borgie83 wrote:

... I'm more concerned about the heat from the heatsink touching the capacitors ...

Being a Tually of ~32W max TDP the caps in touch will probably be cooler than if they were standing alone, by dumping heat into the heatsink.

borgie83 wrote:

Ok, just checked. The capacitors in question are branded Choyo. I read up on these and they are quite poor in quality but what capacitors were really good back in 1999-2001... I've had 4 gigabyte boards from this era and all had between 2-3 bulging or leaking capacitors.

I don't really want to replace the capacitors as yet because this board is brand new and the power supply is fairly decent (Corsair GS600 2013 edition) so I'm guessing there shouldn't be too much trouble along the way. Back then, capacitors failed not just because of their poor quality during "the great capacitor plague" but because the power supply's that tended to be used were also of quite poor quality. Cooling in a lot older cases was also inadequate which is another thing I won't have to worry about with my case (Corsair 600T White Edition).

If the board is new old stock and case cooling is good those Choyos may soldier on for a time.

Beware however that after more than a decade even unused and well stored lytics should be watched with suspicion.

Let the air flow!