VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
jwt27 wrote:

Also, was cleaning a Model M today which made me recall another problem with these keyboards: you can't take them apart completely unlike every* other keyboard. Makes proper cleaning (especially inbetween and inside the key barrels) very difficult.

Wha? http://goo.gl/RsccvP

Yes, you can remove the keys and covers but the actual keyboard is still held together by plastic rivets. I know you can replace these with bolts or screws... but not if you want to keep it in original condition. I guess I could just wash it like this but I'm afraid water will get stuck in the key barrels and inbetween the membranes.

Reply 21 of 40, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey jwt27, long time, no see! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 22 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey Rich, how are you doing? 😀
Did you beat my pinball scores yet? 🤣

Err, let's stay on topic..
What's wrong scroll wheels, exactly? I really miss 'em whenever I use a mouse without one.

Reply 23 of 40, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:
Ok, its not really old school but Ive started using one of these last year and honestly, gotta be my favourite keyboard evar. ht […]
Show full quote

Ok, its not really old school but Ive started using one of these last year and honestly, gotta be my favourite keyboard evar.
dell-keyboard.jpg

Great keyboard, i'm using one right now to type this. Bought it a little while back for £1 from carbootsale! 😀

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 24 of 40, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got another Model M 1931401 today (and a box full of terminal Model Ms for spare parts).
This is the USA model however, the other ones I have are made in UK. It's a bit heavier, the key feel is quite different, and it has a white key barrel plate made of a softer kind of plastic. It's so soft I can actually peel the rivets off with my finger nails, and needless to say some of them got loose already... Guess this is a nice candidate to try the "bolt mod" on.

Reply 25 of 40, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MaxWar wrote:
Ok, its not really old school but Ive started using one of these last year and honestly, gotta be my favourite keyboard evar. ht […]
Show full quote

Ok, its not really old school but Ive started using one of these last year and honestly, gotta be my favourite keyboard evar.
dell-keyboard.jpg

I used to use those all the time in high school. Hated them with a passion. 🤣

Reply 26 of 40, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Mitsumi Classic. Still found new in some stores. http://www.c3000.ru/autocatalog/keyboards_mit … draft_large.jpg

Currently my ONLY at keyboard, used in an office for from 97-2007 daily. Has to be THE mushiest keyboard I have ever used. That and the venerable 3 button serial/ps2 Mouseman are my setup. Not to bad! The mouseman has to be the nicest ball mouse I have ever used.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 27 of 40, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

Hey Rich, how are you doing? 😀 Did you beat my pinball scores yet? 🤣

Doing quite well 😀 Hehe, not yet on some of those scores <grin>.

jwt27 wrote:

Err, let's stay on topic.. What's wrong scroll wheels, exactly? I really miss 'em whenever I use a mouse without one.

I use the middle mouse button for quite a few things, not of least to mention, for gaming. Although a mouse wheel does indeed have a middle mouse button "click" feature, it just doesn't feel the same to me. Not to mention, most mouse wheels are fairly hard to depress, compared to a regular middle mouse button.

ODwilly wrote:

That and the venerable 3 button serial/ps2 Mouseman are my setup. Not to bad! The mouseman has to be the nicest ball mouse I have ever used.

As I posted about previously, agreed 100%! 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 28 of 40, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rfnagel wrote:
Mouse: […]
Show full quote

Mouse:

I have a Logitech Mouseman Pro serial/PS2 that I have literally used as my primary mouse since 1996-1997... the ONLY mouse that I've ever used since I first bought it back then.

That mouse has the BEST "feel" to it and the most sensitive and easy to push buttons of ANY mouse that I've ever used before. It ALSO is the absolute BEST tracking ball mouse KNOWN TO MAN!

I would kill for an optical serial/PS2 version of that mouse, as none of the new-fangled mice (including the high-end "gaming" mice) "feels" as nice and comfortable to me. Plus, I DETEST mouse wheels, simply prefering a regular 3-button mouse.

13_Logitech_Mouseman1.jpg

I've been using the same mouse since 1998 without interruption. It has the best feel of any mouse I've used at work or elsewhere. For a trackball mouse, it has fantastic precision. I have toyed with the idea of retro fitting it with some optical PS/2 PCB, but this is low on my priority list. I own 4 or 5 different incarnations of this mouse. There was the PS/2-Serial laptop version of the mouse with a shorty cord. That mouse is a dark grey. There is a long cord PS/2-serial version that is white, like in your photo. There is the standard PS/2-only Compaq and Dell units. There is also the white serial-only version. I have 'em all.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 29 of 40, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Used that same Logitech mouse back in the day, still have it lying in the drawer. Can't see myself going back to mechanical mice though, and the lack of a mouse wheel would be annoying as well.

As far as keyboards go, I did use the MS Natural at one point, but it might have been a variety with "standard" arrow keys.

Reply 30 of 40, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Were there any keyboards with the Model M layout but using the Model F-style mechanism (slightly lighter-feeling switches, capacitive contacts instead of membranes)? I seem to recall reading about a few clone keyboards like that but no specific models.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 32 of 40, by Vivex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been using a QPAD MK-80 with MX Blue switches, absolutely fallen in love with the feel of this keyboard. I used to have an IBM Model M, but it needs to be repaired.

I've yet to find a mouse, however. I need a serial mouse, so gonna look up mice mentioned in this thread.

Reply 34 of 40, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PeterLI wrote:

For nostalgia I am very happy with my Philips P2814 keyboard. Works fine from 8086 all the way to i7.

Is it just me or does it really have a gnarled spacebar?

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 35 of 40, by Logistics

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:
Mouse: […]
Show full quote

Mouse:

I have a Logitech Mouseman Pro serial/PS2 that I have literally used as my primary mouse since 1996-1997... the ONLY mouse that I've ever used since I first bought it back then.

That mouse has the BEST "feel" to it and the most sensitive and easy to push buttons of ANY mouse that I've ever used before. It ALSO is the absolute BEST tracking ball mouse KNOWN TO MAN!

I would kill for an optical serial/PS2 version of that mouse, as none of the new-fangled mice (including the high-end "gaming" mice) "feels" as nice and comfortable to me. Plus, I DETEST mouse wheels, simply prefering a regular 3-button mouse.

13_Logitech_Mouseman1.jpg

I agree with this, except I had the Wingman Gamer mouse which is essentially the same thing, but it's gray and it's USB/PS2. I used it up till about a year ago when I decided I needed an optical mouse for detail work in Photoshop. I still love my Wingman Gamer, though and I have replaced the button micro-switches a couple times with softer-click switches. (originally so people wouldn't be so likely to notice the loud click when I'm up at 3am, 🤣)

And I have always loved my IBM KB-9910.

Reply 36 of 40, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a Logitech MouseMan Plus bear-claw style mouse around the turn of the century, although mine was gray. I think my hand was just too big for it to be a comfortable fit for me. I liked their more curved and higher backed mice better.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 37 of 40, by [GPUT]Carsten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

I was using an IBM Model M on my DOS rigs but the noise and the heavy keypress action isn't really to my taste for gaming.

I use an IBM Model M for my main rig - typing this very posting on it. For a mouse, even though it's not really oldschool - well, it probably is now - an Intellimouse Explorer, the very first model.

does this work?
984030_671318836242586_1659642457_n.jpg?oh=c2e71565c595f2b971a19b2f093ca43b&oe=53D3F40A
294060_255869387787535_156665535_n.jpg

Reply 38 of 40, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm still using a wireless PS2 ball mouse made by A4Tech. I've tried to replace it with wireless USB optical mice, because the feet are coming loose and I kind of wanted one with extra buttons, but I can't find one I like.

First of all, why are all the mice today designed to fit a 5 year old's hand??? Did everyone's hands shrink when I wasn't looking? Second, all the optical mice I've tried are too sensitive. It's impossible to precisely position the pointer because the tiniest, incidental movement of the mouse, which wouldn't be enough to register in a ball mouse, makes the pointer jitter. Maybe this isn't so much of a problem in Windows, but it's really annoying when you're trying to position it right on a specific pixel in a game and it seems to have a mind of its own.