VOGONS

First post, by maximus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm a big fan of the original Need for Speed games. I usually play them with a Sidewinder Plug and Play gamepad, which works well enough. However, I've often wondered what it would be like to play the games with a nice steering wheel setup.

The great thing about the Sidewinder gamepad is that it works flawlessly with every system I own (Windows 98 SE, XP, Vista, 7, makes no difference), so I'm hoping to find the same thing in a steering wheel. Any recommendations? USB would be ideal for convenience. Game port would do in a pinch.

Force feedback would also be great, but that's probably pushing it.

PCGames9505

Reply 1 of 3, by Reckless

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not recommend getting a gameport model. Microsoft's USB FFB wheel is well supported up to and including Windows XP. I imagine you should be able to pick one up for a reasonable price. Logitech G2x for later operating systems - a much nicer wheel but pricey. Logitech also have a model called Driving Force GT which is a step down in quality from the G2x wheels but better than Microsoft's.

I've got a few Microsoft wheels (were used for LAN sessions) and they are robust and fun. When I do race [not often these days] I now use a Logitech G27.

I've never played any of the Need for Speed series so I don't know if they have good [or bad] support for wheels and any FFB effects.

Reply 2 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My recommendations are a bit dated, around 1998-2000 era but that's the same time as the NFS games!

I can fully recommend the Logitech Formula Force GP aka "Old Red" Real good build quality, the Force feedback feels good. Love how it Auto calibrates when the driver is loaded. It supports both USB and Gameport.
Only negative is the rubber grips feel a bit sticky and may not work in anything after WinXP

I used to race Dad in NFS 3-5 so when his crappy old Mad Catz wheel died we he got the Formula Force GP which replaced it. It wasn't as good. Force feedback wasn't as smooth and the wheel felt much more cheap and plastic.

My mate got the Logitech Momo wheel which came between the 2 form memory. It was better build then the GP but seem to remember the force feedback still felt better on the original wheel.

I brought another "old red" off ebay last year and it still works fine, no idea how well the previous owner treated it. but it wasn't mint condition so they can survive over a decade of use.
I found a real good fan page last year on them but cant find it now. I remember the guy was saying they were made in 2 countries, I think China was the original and better place but could be the other way round.

Reply 3 of 3, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

chinny22 is correct.

I'm BIG into my old racing games. The old Logitech Formula Force GP (red wheel) is one of the best. If you search hard enough, they can be had on eBay for decent money. The collector market hasn't "discovered" them yet. I have one I use with a ACT LABS Pro Pedal getup (minus the clutch pedal) instead of the pedals it came with, and I like it. UNLESS, you can find an old ACT LABS **COMPLETE** setup w/ wheel, shifter, and pro clutch/pedals. I have a complete set of that, in the boxes I got for $150 around 6 years ago, that I'm just hanging onto for the moment, but that'd be the ultimate version.

If you're not firmly set on USB, however, I can recommend the FX Racing Wheel by Interact, I think it was. It sort of looks like an R/C controller. It is 15-pin, though, but we use it on the Voodoo5 machine connected to the Gateway DL36 monitor, and it's a blast.

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...