VOGONS

First post, by Amigaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have two SOCKET 7 cpus , off which I would like to build some retro thingy...

The point is , As I cant get a decent 486 pci board , to make a pentium build.

I have a AMD K6-2 500 MHz (AFX) and a CYRIX MII 266 MHz.

Which is cooler ? 😀

Reply 1 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

K6-2!

But a 2+ or 3+ would be even cooler because you can set the multiplier through software 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaboy wrote:

What do you mean? 486 is socket 1-3, pentium is socket 7

Reply 5 of 15, by Amigaboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RacoonRider wrote:
Amigaboy wrote:

What do you mean? 486 is socket 1-3, pentium is socket 7

I wrote it wrong, missed a couple of words xD

i meant ,as I cant find a decent 486 PCI board, I am going to build a pentium xD

Reply 6 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some videos you might enjoy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rPhi9-ILHw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur0WtduA2XI

My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 15, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because with a P2 you can't really hit the 486 speed because of the CPU architecture. So for fast SVGA DOS games you have to go straight for a Pentium 3.

The K6-3+ allows you to play 386, 486 and all VGA 3D games and some SVGA 3D games. For example on a K6-3+ Tomb Raider in 640 x 480 software render is quite playable.

S7 machine covers a very wide range of games, especially DOS games. No other system is as flexible 😀

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 15, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps I'm the only one here to think this way, but I vote for a Cyrix MII at 266 MHz having a larger 'woah' factor than a K6-2-500. While the K6-2-500 may offer a larger range of running frequencies, I never hear of anybody setting up a system based around a Cyrix MII at 266 MHz (I assume you are refering to a Cyrix MII-366GP or -350GP as these should run ta 266 MHz). Based on a combination of various FPU benchmarks, the average FPU of a Cyrix MII ta 266 MHz is equal to that of a Pentium 200MMX. The interger performance is similar to that of a K6-300 or a PII-266.

If you setup a system around a Cyrix MII and use it to play retro games, I would be like "WOAH!" [this guy is special].

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 10 of 15, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

The K6-3+ is an amazing performer regarding integer applications. Great CPU of a great era.

I agree with carlostex.

I have a k6-3+ 450 and the first time I used it I was pretty impressed by its speed and how far AMD were able to push the socket 7 platform:-P

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 11 of 15, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

If you setup a system around a Cyrix MII and use it to play retro games, I would be like "WOAH!" [this guy is special].

Hehe, I've been thinking the same thing. I have a 430TX motherboard I got for free with a Cyrix MII 300. I've been thinking about doing something with it. I will certainly not replace the CPU apart from doing benchmarking.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 13 of 15, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
JaNoZ wrote:

to me the perfect socket7 would be a p55c 266mmx. if i ever get one.
if you go for ss7 and k6 why not use a decent p2?

p55c topped out at 233, 266Mhz Pentium has Tillamook core.

And I probably would like Cyrix more than K6, it simply has more vintage flavour.

Reply 14 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It depends what you mean by Woah! factor. Neither of those chips is especially rare. The AMD offers better performance than the Cyrix, but there's something about building a Cyrix system that makes it seem a little more edgy. If I were building a Cyrix MII system, I'd look for a 366GP model. Those are still fairly easy to find and relatively inexpensive compared to it's faster and rarely seen brother the 433GP. Performance will still be lower than the AMD chip, though.

Reply 15 of 15, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I upgraded my original Pentium machine from a 233MMX to a Powerleap and K6-3+ 450 or something like that (not in front of me right now) it was a fantastic upgrade, can't beat the addition of that "L3 cache" on the older systems. If you've got a SS7 board, even better, as you won't need the adapter. I highly encourage it, and the chips are relatively inexpensive.

Now, if only I could find 3 or 4 decent AT cases for myself....

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...