VOGONS

Reply 60 of 141, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you need more data about Glide API games, D1stortion, take a look at the list below:

• Grand Prix Legends, runs too fast at >1.7 GHz, patch is available here
  • Interstate '76, there're reports about broken physics, currently no patch available
  • Monaco GP Racing Simulation 2, runs too fast at >2.0 GHz, currently no patch available
  • Pro Rally 2001, hangs at >2.0 GHz, patch is available here, though I have a report it may not work with Bulldozers
  • Speed Busters, crashes at >2.0GHz, no patch available, but GOG.com's version has this issue fixed

FIFA 2002 (crashes at >2.0 GHz (1.9 GHz is safe)) and Streets of SimCity (broken physics) were mentioned earlier. AFAIK there're no patches for these games.

Reply 62 of 141, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Yes, it's just as you say d1stortion. I'm fairly certain Soul Reaver eluded this by locking the framerate to 30fps.

Speaking of Soul Reaver, I wish someone could bring the Dreamcast graphics enhancements back to the PC version. It runs at 60 FPS and has noticeably higher-resolution textures, among other things...about the only advantage the PC version would have is support for resolutions above 640x480.

[Zeus] wrote:
If you need more data about Glide API games, D1stortion, take a look at the list below: […]
Show full quote

If you need more data about Glide API games, D1stortion, take a look at the list below:

• Grand Prix Legends, runs too fast at >1.7 GHz, patch is available here
  • Interstate '76, there are reports about broken physics, currently no patch available
  • Monaco GP Racing Simulation 2, runs too fast at >2.0 GHz, currently no patch available
  • Pro Rally 2001, hangs at >2.0 GHz, patch is available here, though I have a report it may not work with Bulldozers
  • Speed Busters, crashes at >2.0GHz, no patch available, but GOG.com's version has this issue fixed

FIFA 2002 (crashes at >2.0 GHz (1.9 GHz is safe)) and Streets of SimCity (broken physics) were mentioned earlier. AFAIK there're no patches for these games.

I'm guessing that those are generally Pentium 4 clock speeds?

Athlon XPs bring a bit of confusion due to their higher efficiency per clock and that whole rating system to make them look more marketable next to the P4s, let alone other newer, more efficient architectures that will probably still perform too fast even while running under 2 GHz.

Reply 63 of 141, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And there I was thinking speed issues are only for DOS games 😀

But didn't CPUs (at least some) have a selectable multi in BIOS?

I know I could go as low as 400 MHz on my Athlon II BE 555. Even disable all cores but one.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 64 of 141, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
NamelessPlayer wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

Yes, it's just as you say d1stortion. I'm fairly certain Soul Reaver eluded this by locking the framerate to 30fps.

Speaking of Soul Reaver, I wish someone could bring the Dreamcast graphics enhancements back to the PC version. It runs at 60 FPS and has noticeably higher-resolution textures, among other things...about the only advantage the PC version would have is support for resolutions above 640x480.

Yes, precisely. The greatest enchancement are the 60fps. There is a way to get the framerate to 60fps but it doesn't really work properly.

Reply 65 of 141, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

And there I was thinking speed issues are only for DOS games 😀

But didn't CPUs (at least some) have a selectable multi in BIOS?

I know I could go as low as 400 MHz on my Athlon II BE 555. Even disable all cores but one.

Depends on the CPU... but I thought you were the expert on slowing down CPUs anyway?!? 😁

What's an Athlon II BE btw? I doubt they released Black Editions of that budget line...

NamelessPlayer wrote:

Athlon XPs bring a bit of confusion due to their higher efficiency per clock and that whole rating system to make them look more marketable next to the P4s, let alone other newer, more efficient architectures that will probably still perform too fast even while running under 2 GHz.

I thought about this too. I can't test most of these games listed here so I have to stick with what information is given here in the topic...

Last edited by d1stortion on 2013-04-29, 09:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 66 of 141, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes you CAN even turn of the cache on a modern CPU. I had Wing Commander running this way on a notebook in real DOS 😀

But my passion is MD-DOS.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 67 of 141, by [Zeus]

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NamelessPlayer wrote:

All tests were performed on Intel C2D (Wolfdale).

NamelessPlayer wrote:

Good point. The situation becomes even more complicated when a game uses different code paths for different CPU IDs and as a result the issue may be present only on a certain brand or microarchitecture.

d1stortion wrote:

P.S. Safe value for Speed Busters is <2.0 GHz.

Reply 68 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Speed Busters are working perfectly on my P4 3.00E/Radeon HD2600 Pro. And on my notebook too, with C2D T7500/GF 9500M GS. With nGlide and d3d6.
Am I doing something wrong? 😀
Well, maybe the version is patched already, I have the ES rerelease...

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 69 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know if the old Star Trek games have speed issues? I've ordered quite a few of them off ebay 😎.

Voyager: Elite Force with expansion.
Voyager: Elite Force II
Generations
Hidden Evil
The Fallen
Harbinger
Final Unity
25th Anniversary
Judgment Rites
Borg
Klingon
Klingon Honor Guard

... I had a bit of a mad spending spree (and i'm not even a huge Star Trek fan 😁).

Reply 71 of 141, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Generations will play too fast. Also, palette issues.
Klingon Honor Guard will have a speed detection issue, given that it's the first UnrealEngine with its problems on throttling and multicore CPUs.
The Fallen will also suffer from speed detection, same engine, later branch. The Direct3d renderer should be fine though

Elite Force will have a brightness setting issue. No source released, and the only updated port out there covers the holomatch portion (although it may be possible to make a STVEF SP source port from the JK2 source)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 72 of 141, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

Elite Force should run without problems. Don't care for Star Trek at all but that game was pretty good 😀

I'm not a big fan, but i do find it interesting and i had a couple of the Star Trek games when i was still in high school (which i never finished)... I prefer it to the likes of Star Wars and all the other space stuff (except Wing Commander).

leileilol wrote:
Generations will play too fast. Also, palette issues. Klingon Honor Guard will have a speed detection issue, given that it's the […]
Show full quote

Generations will play too fast. Also, palette issues.
Klingon Honor Guard will have a speed detection issue, given that it's the first UnrealEngine with its problems on throttling and multicore CPUs.
The Fallen will also suffer from speed detection, same engine, later branch. The Direct3d renderer should be fine though

Elite Force will have a brightness setting issue. No source released, and the only updated port out there covers the holomatch portion (although it may be possible to make a STVEF SP source port from the JK2 source)

These games are running on an old single core Celeron (Tualatin), so i won't have any multicore issues... I'll find a way to slow down the other games. 😀

I've had no brightness issues with Elite Force, but it was a pain to install as there's a deep scratch on the disc... And the CD key is missing so no holomatches for me (i've contacted the ebay seller). Hidden evil runs and looks fine, but i have to wait for all the other games to arrive.

Reply 73 of 141, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed Carmageddon (DOS version) on an Athlon 64 3200 box yesterday running Win98SE. It was actually kinda funny how much the insane processor speed ramped up the turning physics. 🤣 Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it running in hires mode because it kept crashing at the placement screen. 😜

Reply 74 of 141, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Star Trek: Klingon Honor Guard must be patched to work correctly with modern PCs. Two main points of the ctd are 3dfx initialization and "Advanced Options" menu. Others affected games are Unreal itself and TNN Outdoor Pro Hunter. U1 engine games starting from Unreal: Return to Na Pali are working correctly.

Yes, lo-res version of Carmageddon is speed sensitive. The timer is too fast and the physic is distorted.
About the hi-res mode - IIRC the hi-res fonts are broken in compilations/add-on/3dfx versions... Only original game isn't affected.

Reply 75 of 141, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Pod had patches for Pentium 4/athlon IIRC amongst others.
Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage needs to slow the cpu down.

I don't know if Halloween Harry 2 (Zombie Wars) need to be slowed down.

Carmageddon has timer issues mentioned above. I heard they could be sorted out using carma95 patch.
I use the 3dfx patch 1.6c and notice timer is slightly fast to me. Do be aware there are (3) 3dfx patches. One being on the splat pack CD. Then the unofficial patches 1.3c and 1.6c. Just last night I noticed the 1.3c vs. 1.6c. Will be testing with 1.6c on my WinME rig as I always had random crashing with one of them which caused me to save after EVERY race.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 76 of 141, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Pod had patches for Pentium 4/athlon IIRC amongst others. Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage needs to slow the cpu down. […]
Show full quote

Pod had patches for Pentium 4/athlon IIRC amongst others.
Halloween Harry/Alien Carnage needs to slow the cpu down.

I don't know if Halloween Harry 2 (Zombie Wars) need to be slowed down.

Carmageddon has timer issues mentioned above. I heard they could be sorted out using carma95 patch.
I use the 3dfx patch 1.6c and notice timer is slightly fast to me. Do be aware there are (3) 3dfx patches. One being on the splat pack CD. Then the unofficial patches 1.3c and 1.6c. Just last night I noticed the 1.3c vs. 1.6c. Will be testing with 1.6c on my WinME rig as I always had random crashing with one of them which caused me to save after EVERY race.

Which version of the patch does the GoG.com version come with? If I can find a Glide wrapper for win98 that works with DOS games, I would love to try it out on there.

Reply 78 of 141, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

warcraft 1 speed issues can be solved by:

- using a rendition verite card [chokes the video from updating too fast] - worked for a socket 7

- disabling l1/l2 cache on socket 7's or even athlon 700 [though athlon 700 is on the fast side of slow it just seems the water is a bit choppy today]

- using a more period-correct slow cpu like 386dx33

I can't remember if 486 is still too fast but of course there are l1/l2 tricks there too.

Reply 79 of 141, by ih8registrations

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To add to the "List of CPU speed sensitive games" wiki, do a search with "runs to fast on x" with x=whatever CPU, lots of games mentioned that aren't on the list.

https://www.google.com/search?q=386+runs+too+ … oo+fast+on+piii

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp. … ion/D0QBGZrn8lA