VOGONS

Reply 20 of 42, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the focus of the build is totally on W9x games you hardly even need 98 SE. And with 2000 dualcores are anything but pointless. If something _is_ pointless then it's PCI sound cards' claims to support DOS properly... just my two cents 😀

Reply 21 of 42, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a socket 754 ASUS K8V-X mobo with a SATA HDD. While XP needed the SATA drivers to detect the hard disk, Win98 did not; I dual booted, because at that time I still had a 17" CRT and for some unknown reason several games switched to 60 Hz while in XP; with 98 I had no problems.

@d1stortion
ESS Solo PCI soundcards have great DOS compatibility. IMO, they are the best DOS PCI soundcards. They are nothing special in Windows, though. Drivers have support for A3D 1.0

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 22 of 42, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
fillosaurus wrote:

IMHO, do not use nVidia boards. They are only AGP 8x, and, in my testing experience, do not work well with Voodoo2. The testing samples were only 2 boards, though. A Gigabyte which is in my 2nd rig and an Epox.

Abit NF2-S V2.0 works perfectly with Voodoo 2 SLI. But the board sucks for 3dfx because of AGP limitation.

BTW, if you are looking for a Voodoo go to marketplace on falconfly.de. You will probably get it cheaper and safer (from a real retro-gamer) then from fleabay.

Reply 24 of 42, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@elfuego
I already have 3 Voodoo2s. Different manufacturers, though. So is kinda pain in the behind to make them work in SLI. And I am not into passive anal.
While I tested my Gigabyte NF2 board I noticed is not too good for Win98, or DOS compatibility. Good and fast for Windows games, especially since I replaced the dying FX5500 (capacitor plague) with a good working 6600. I intent to improve that graphic card by putting a better cooler on it, so I can overclock it. Right now it has a tiny radiator&ventilator which barely make it functional. I burned my fingers several times by touching the damned radiator.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.

Reply 25 of 42, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I've decided that screwing around trying to build the "perfect" Glide64 rig with an overpowered CPU isn't going to be worth all the time and effort, so here's what I'm thinking of doing instead:

- Dell Dimension 4100 with 256MB SDRAM, 866MHz Pentium III, 20GB hard drive <--- I already own this 🤣
- Soundblaster Live! <--- I own tons of these
- either an AGP Voodoo 3, or 2 Voodoo IIs in SLI paired with a Radeon 9000 series card for 2D and non-glide stuff <---already have a few Radeon 9000 cards
- Windows 2000 SP4 dual booted with Win98SE for games that won't work with Win2k

I think this will work out better for me since I already own most of this stuff. 🤣 Now I just have to get the 3DFX stuff. 😜

Now I'm just wondering, but what advantages are there in running a Voodoo 3 over a pair of Voodoo IIs, and what advantages do the SLI'd Voodoo IIs provide? As well, does the 3DFX version of Carmageddon run well in VDMSound?

Reply 26 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No games NEEDS the Voodoo 1. There seems to be a misconception about this here on Vogons. All 3DFX games can be run on a Voodoo 2. Some early Glide games needs a batch file with SST variables to run on the Voodoo 2, but once you've created it you're good to go.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 27 of 42, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

No games NEEDS the Voodoo 1. There seems to be a misconception about this here on Vogons. All 3DFX games can be run on a Voodoo 2. Some early Glide games needs a batch file with SST variables to run on the Voodoo 2, but once you've created it you're good to go.

I already knew the two were compatible. Like I stated earlier though, I'd just like to know what the advantages and disadvantages are between a Voodoo 3 and a pair of Voodoo IIs.

Reply 28 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
vetz wrote:

I already knew the two were compatible. Like I stated earlier though, I'd just like to know what the advantages and disadvantages are between a Voodoo 3 and a pair of Voodoo IIs.

It was in a response to another post, but seems it was deleted before I was done writing my post.

Anyway, Voodoo 3 might be slighly quicker in some games. Voodoo 2 SLI will be in others. Also you save alot of space with just one Voodoo 3 😀

Reply 29 of 42, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

What about the DOS games?

Reply 30 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d1stortion wrote:

What about the DOS games?

DOS games also work on the Voodoo 2, including the statically linked ones. Just use batch file. A Voodoo 3 will not on some of the DOS games (I think it works with Tomb Raider, but I'm not 100% sure), so that is one more bonus of getting a Voodoo 2 SLI setup (which is a bit more "badass" as well) 😉

Reply 31 of 42, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

V2 SLI is definitely more of a "cult" setup and more compatible, but go watch swaaye's video of Unreal on it. There's some slight stutter when being outside and turning around which is not present on V3 3000. Also, I think VSync needs to be activated to fully put the two cards in sync and prevent artifacts.

Reply 32 of 42, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The biggest advantage over v2 sli are higher refresh rates and resolution and somewhat better performance. Also, color dithering is a bit nicer on v3, but you wont see that on screenshots - only in live action. Other than that, v2 sli is great.

Reply 33 of 42, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can confirm that 3DFX Shadow Warrior does not work with V2 SLI or V3. I only managed to make it run with 1 V2. But then again, I am not an expert on 3DFX cards.
Perhaps some more experienced players managed to make it work.

Reply 35 of 42, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i get the impression some games had patches for voodoo 1/2/beyond - eg apache longbow according to some google results - in which case you need the patch for say v2 support, and the v1 version won't play on a v2. but if that's not the case, then i'd be glad to hear it!

i couldn't get my 3dfx version of longbow to run on a v2 with the sst/batch settings.

and of course some of us wouldn't be aware of patches for different games

Reply 36 of 42, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The V2 patches mostly just fixed the executable/game so it willaccept the V2 without questions. Apache Longbow is a Windows Glide game, so I figure you need to use the same approach as with Mechwarrior 2 to get it working on a V2.

Moody's Voodoo 2 FAQ is still golden in 2013 😉
http://www.3dgw.com/faq/moodys_voodoo2_faq.htm

Reply 38 of 42, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:

This is the last game that I would want to play with 3dfx support anyway tbh 🤣

I'll second that. I think shadow warrior has the worst possible glide implementation ever. Better off with a standard VESA mode. Even VGA 320x240 looks better then the washed-out glide mode 😒

Reply 39 of 42, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
d1stortion wrote:

This is the last game that I would want to play with 3dfx support anyway tbh 🤣

I'll second that. I think shadow warrior has the worst possible glide implementation ever. Better off with a standard VESA mode. Even VGA 320x240 looks better then the washed-out glide mode 😒

This makes since as it was a beta patch that was never finalized. I believe it worked on my V3 but alas looks crappy.

Carmageddon 2 will work on a 233MHz 32mb machine with even a v2 8MB. Downside is your 640x480 locked. If that wasn't bad enough and you're like me, you like to have extra cars/tracks/features and this will bog down or even crash my P3 1.4s V5 5.5k pretty easy with the high polygon counts.

These limitations will urge you to run C2 on a glide wrapper on a new system even on a Geforce 3 Ti. I remember running alot of cars no problem at 1280x1024 and even some AA.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME