VOGONS

First post, by coppercitymt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My system shipped with a Geforce 2 MX 32MB, I have some Gefroce 3's 64MB (Visontek I believe they have fans), laying around and am wondering if the Geforce 3 would give me any notable improvement.

Reply 2 of 12, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

geforce3 is far superior than geforce2mx, so it would yield quite some improvement, unless your cpu is extremely slow.

and yeah, visiontek cards are good.

Reply 3 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think a Geforce 3 will be up to 3x faster than a 2 MX if the graphics card is the bottleneck. This would be when playing high resolutions and assuming you have a fast CPU like an Athlon XP or midrange Northwood Pentium 4.

It also depends on which GF3 it is. Ti 200 is the slowest. But any of them is certainly much better than a 2 MX of any kind.

Reply 4 of 12, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I agree with the others. GF3 is a far better card then a GF2MX.
Copper, what are the specs of your rig you're trying to replace the graphics card in?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 12, by Sune Salminen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pixel Shaders, better anisotropic filtering and DirectX8 compatibility are three good reasons.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_3_Series

Reply 8 of 12, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anisotropic filtering is better but on a GF3 the performance hit is extreme. You really need to go up to a GeForce FX for anisotropic to be more usable. Same with anti aliasing.

Alternatively, all of the Radeon cards have very usable anisotropic filtering. However, until the R300 GPU, ATI's anisotropic was rather low quality. A trade off to make it much less costly to implement while being speedy.

Reply 10 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For its time, GeForce2 MX = entry level card; GeForce3 = high-end. No contest there.

swaaye wrote:

Anisotropic filtering is better but on a GF3 the performance hit is extreme. You really need to go up to a GeForce FX for anisotropic to be more usable. Same with anti aliasing.

Alternatively, all of the Radeon cards have very usable anisotropic filtering. However, until the R300 GPU, ATI's anisotropic was rather low quality. A trade off to make it much less costly to implement while being speedy.

The GF3's Quincunx AA mode gives the best performance/quality tradeoff, but everything on the screen will be blurred like crazy. GF4 improved the algorithm though so it doesn't blur as much, along with improved overall AA performance. But compared to other cards at the time, GF3 offered the best overall AA performance (though the 4xS mode really slows it down due to use of supersampling, which really hindered AA performance on pre-GF3 cards).

A 933 MHz PIII is reasonable with a GF3, but a P4 (at least 1.8 GHz) or Athlon XP would be more reasonable to max. out its performance.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 11 of 12, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was never a fan of the look of Quincunx. The bigger issue though is how the hell do you pronounce it??? 🤣

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 12 of 12, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Pronouncing it a certain way could definitely land you in a lot of trouble, that's for sure.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem