VOGONS

First post, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was going to do a comparison test between the Voodoo 3 and Radeon VIVO 64MB, figure I would use a Athlon setup instead of a 440BX because I can clock the Barton from above 2Ghz down to 500 Mhz. Great for CPU scaling.

Then I took the side of the case off and remembered I had a Zalman Flower in there, uhg, what a pain...

I really like the cooler, it's nice and quiet, easy to clean, and interesting looking but man, come time to swap out a video card it's such a drag.

zalma_flower_of_aggravation.jpg

Reply 1 of 7, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had that same cooler on my AXP1800+ which I built back when they were new. I had the AlCu version and it was a great cooler! But yes the triple slot bracket was rather annoying. You could aleats cut a hole in the side of the case to mount the fan and do away with the bracket entirely 😀

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 7, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

nice vidcard! I have a very similar looking BFG 7900gs/oce I adore which is in my athlon64 x2 s939 computer.

If that was my computer, I would simply make a bracket out of sheet metal or something similar and either tack it to the case fan or the power supply.

Great heatsink, awful bracket IMO.

Reply 3 of 7, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My 7900gs was killed by a bolt of lightning, as was my original A7N8X-X lite mobo. Sad, yet ironic... (see my avatar 🤣) I miss that card; good times with Doom 3 and Oblivion. I salvaged my Athlon 2800+ CPU and moved it into an A7N8X Deluxe board. I put a Zerotherm BTF-92 heatsink in my dad's computer. I'm always chafing my hands on that darn thing when I try to install or clean any of his system components.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 4 of 7, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A bolt of lighthing!
A bolt of lighthing?
A bolt of lighthing!
Awesome movie to say the least, I still have all three sitting on my HTPC HDD.

You dont happen to have a fluxin 88 license place and went to high school in highland, IL, did you? I knew someone had a delorian which went to high school back then, I lived in the next county over.

As for my 7900gs, I broke a cap off accidentally not long ago, it was mint condition till then 😮 and then I mucked up the heatsink shroud plastic with the soldering iron replacing the cap.... it still works, but damnit, yaknow?

Reply 5 of 7, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I hear ya. My old Pentium IV system has a Nvidia 7800GT with a Masscool VF1 cooler and the blower fan blocks the case door from going on. Not cool when its in my room for emulators/web browsing on the TV.

> W98SE . P3 1.4S . 512MB . Q.FX3K . SB Live! . 64GB SSD
>WXP/W8.1 . AMD 960T . 8GB . GTX285 . SB X-Fi . 128GB SSD
> Win XI . i7 12700k . 32GB . GTX1070TI . 512GB NVME

Reply 6 of 7, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry to hear your Board/Vid Card got fried by 1.21 Jigawatts. Too bad you can't really go back in time to stop that from happening. Maybe if you stole some Plutonium from the Libyans...

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 7 of 7, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣, well I did get a coffee grinder last week. It's Mr. Coffee, not Mr. Fusion unfortunately 🤣 (The Krups models are insanely hard to come by.)

Anywho, back on track here before a moderator reboots me. With all of the lost hard drives, cards, and motherboards my system has experienced, I can't believe I'm still using the same processor years later. I have a lot of respect for those old AMD single core CPU's.

If my name were Will Riker I'd say, "Tough little chip!"

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ