VOGONS

First post, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Came across this while reading the Oct. 1997 issue of boot magazine. $5000 for a 15" LCD 😮

lusty_lcd_panels.jpg

Reply 1 of 15, by Hater Depot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Someday we will look back the same way at articles about OLED screens. And actually Samsung's new OLED TV is not even as expensive as I expected.

Korea Beat -- my cool translation blog.

Reply 3 of 15, by Keatah

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I totally agree. Any new technology needs to sit and gestate its way through the marketplace. It's like those $5,999 32" flat-panel TV sets when they first came out. A mere 6 years later, you can get one 2x the size for $499. If that.

I just trashed a whole lot of sony gdm f-520 and w900 monitors. Couldn't for the life of me find a buyer or even a take-it-for-free deal. I've got one left right now.

I recall paying $299.00 for a 25GB hard disk. And look what we have now!

Viewsonic's pro LCD screens were going for $3,400 and now you can get the same thing, EVEN BETTER, at $100 or $200..

PC hardware is among the worst possible investment in tech one can make. And it seems that any tech purchase is little more than driving the vehicle that takes money from your pocket and transfers it to a big corporation's pocket. Little else.

Reply 4 of 15, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't mind seeing the Compaq monitor in action. I remember playing Doom on an old (~Pentium?) laptop once and the ghosting was so bad the game was pretty much unplayable. Sounds like this one is useable though.

When did LCD sales finally surpass that of CRTs? The mid 2000's?

Reply 5 of 15, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think LCD monitor started being attractive in 2004 or so. I remember I bought an AOC LM728 17" for 250 Euro in 2005 and that was considered cheap!
It wasn't until 2006 and even 2007 that they started totally eclipsing CRTs though. PC Magazines recommended CRT screens for budget-midrange systems all the way to 2007!

The first SSD drives were also not the best investment somebody could make. My brother has one and he would always make sure not a lot of stuff got written on that drive because he was afraid of the number or writes limit that these generally have 🤣

But if I'd have to go even earlier, how about the first 3D accelerators? NV1, S3 Virge, Rendition, Matrox Mystique, Voodoo...
Pretty much all of them sucked, except for the Voodoo and I'm pretty sure it got lucky with the whole passthrough card design. Had it been released with a 2D unit (like the Rush) it would probably have had the same luck as Rendition's Verite.

Reply 7 of 15, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up an LCD for my dad for Father's Day in 2004. It was a 19" MAG monitor, cost around $300.00 or so from Best Buy. The funny thing is I got him a modern, HDMI 1080p monitor a few years ago for the same holiday and he ended up giving me the same old MAG monitor when I got married. I still use it on my XP tower. It's a great flatscreen, but it only supports VGA/RGB, no DVI or HDMI.

We originally used an HP Pavilion CRT monitor. That's probably sitting in the attic somewhere.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 8 of 15, by maddmaxstar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

"Thin and sexy, Compaq's TFT500 will make even Courtney Cox jealous."

So 90's. 😜

= Phenom II X6 1090T(HD4850) =
= K7-550(V3-3000) =
= K6-2+ 500(V3-2000) =
= Pentium 75 Gold(Voodoo1) =
= Am486DX4-120(3DXpression+) =
= TI486DLC-40(T8900D) =
= i386sx-16+i387(T8900D) =

Reply 9 of 15, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only old LCD that I remember people really liking was the SGI 1600SW. It even used a digital interface, unlike all of the old school, less than ideal VGA-only LCDs.
g5-1600sw.jpg

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

The one on the right already has a smudge on the screen. Is that a slug crawling across it?

I noticed that too.

Reply 10 of 15, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
The only old LCD that I remember people really liking was the SGI 1600SW. It even used a digital interface, unlike all of the […]
Show full quote

The only old LCD that I remember people really liking was the SGI 1600SW. It even used a digital interface, unlike all of the old school, less than ideal VGA-only LCDs.
g5-1600sw.jpg

Ah so this is the monitor that used that fancy Number Nine card. First card with DVI perhaps?

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

The one on the right already has a smudge on the screen. Is that a slug crawling across it?

I don't know what that smudge is, I just looked at the magazine again and it's not there. Must be on my scanner. Ewwwww 🤣

Reply 11 of 15, by fronzel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only LCD i REALLY liked is the T221 from IBM. Simply for the bragging value, not the practical value.

See how lost an 80x24 Xterm looks on the full native 3840×2400 resolution:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IBM_T221.jpg

WQUXGA resolution, baby!

Reply 13 of 15, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bushwack wrote:
Ah so this is the monitor that used that fancy Number Nine card. First card with DVI perhaps? […]
Show full quote
swaaye wrote:
The only old LCD that I remember people really liking was the SGI 1600SW. It even used a digital interface, unlike all of the […]
Show full quote

g5-1600sw.jpg

Ah so this is the monitor that used that fancy Number Nine card. First card with DVI perhaps?

SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

I don't know what that smudge is, I just looked at the magazine again and it's not there. Must be on my scanner. Ewwwww 🤣

I don't think it was DVI. I think it used FPDI (Flat Panel Display Interface). There weren't many cards produced with that interface and not even every Number Nine Revolution has it, just the ones made specifically for use with that monitor. I think SGI made a box that allowed you to use it with cards that didn't have a FPDI connector.

0042801400a__85324_zoom.jpg

The black connector on the bottom goes to the 1600SW

Reply 14 of 15, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I used to work security at a TRW about ten years ago, they had everything from SGI workstations to an old '286 in turbo mode running mechanical shop components. Awesome place, I miss those guys.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ