VOGONS

Sb Pro 2 CT2600 jumper settings

Topic actions

First post, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently grabbed an ancient Mitsumi 1x cd-rom drive I plan to hook up to the Mitsumi cd-rom interface on my Sb Pro 2 CT2600 sound card but I'm unable to find any jumper setting info on the internet, I'm especially looking for the port adress jumper setting

img0025nf.jpg

img0027dq.jpg

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 1 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's a lot of jumpers for the CD Controller Address. It likely allows a very wide range of addresses to be selected.

DMA and IRQ are clearly labelled, but the address could be anywhere.

Do you have a drive and driver to test? Or maybe some diagnostic tool picks up the controller?

Reply 3 of 21, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That's a lot of jumpers for the CD Controller Address. It likely allows a very wide range of addresses to be selected.

DMA and IRQ are clearly labelled, but the address could be anywhere.

Do you have a drive and driver to test? Or maybe some diagnostic tool picks up the controller?

The IRQ and DMA settings are clear but the PORT adress is a wild guess without any docs

I've tried with a working drive and the correct drivers but the system hangs during boot when using the default adresses the Mitsumi cd-rom driver setup uses

Reply 4 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure about the Mitsumi but with the Sony 34 pin cdrom interface on my sb Pro the io address was always 10 above the sound blaster base address. Eg the sb was set to 220 and the CDROM was at 230.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 21, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonutKing wrote:

Not sure about the Mitsumi but with the Sony 34 pin cdrom interface on my sb Pro the io address was always 10 above the sound blaster base address. Eg the sb was set to 220 and the CDROM was at 230.

Yeah, and the Mitsumi uses 300, 340 etc so I'm very clear about what ports it uses but completely lost when it comes to the port jumpers on the card

Reply 7 of 21, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sprcorreia wrote:

As far a can remember from the days...

Jumper everything except a2 and a3 and give it a try.

What port adress is that? I have to match the port jumpered on the card with the correct switch when launching the driver in config.sys

Reply 9 of 21, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
sprcorreia wrote:

As far a can remember from the days...

Jumper everything except a2 and a3 and give it a try.

What port adress is that? I have to match the port jumpered on the card with the correct switch when launching the driver in config.sys

I believe its 300h. I could try to help you if you posted a pic of the mitsumi chip and the other jumpers. Or perhaps a link to a hires picture of the whole card.

Reply 10 of 21, by sprcorreia

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you tried 340h with that config you have?

I would try to get it working with
JP26 ON
JP29 ON
Adress as is (i believe is 340h)
DMACTL on the other position
IRQ set to 5
DRQ and DACK as is

You would have to test it alone as i see to many cards in that system 😀

Reply 11 of 21, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From web research I found that the Creative Mitsumi CD-ROM I/O port addresses were 0x310, 0x320, 0x340 and 0x350. Creative was smart enough to skip the possible conflicting MIDI I/O port adddresses of 0x300 and 0x330. So for your Creative ISA CT-2600 (Mitsumi) sound card you have the following table:

Creative CT-2600 CD-ROM

[Jumper ON = 0x00]
[Jumper OFF = 0x01]

CD-ROM (JP32-39) (hardwired)
IO Address AAAAAAAA AA
(Mitsumi) 98765432 10
0x310 11000100 00
0x320 11001000 00
0x340 11010000 00
0x350 11010100 00

I have no idea about what the default for any Creative CD-ROM (Mitsumi) drivers may be however...

dvwjr

Reply 12 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just reread your post and you mentioned a 1x drive?

Any chance that it's the LUO drive which slides out at the front and then you open a lid upwards to enter the disc?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 21, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Just reread your post and you mentioned a 1x drive?

Any chance that it's the LUO drive which slides out at the front and then you open a lid upwards to enter the disc?

Indeed it is 😀

(going to try what people have suggested later today)

Reply 14 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh man! That was my first ever CD-Rom drive. Purchased it in Linz from Escom which was a PC super chain back in the days.

It came with an ISA controller card and I very fond memories of that Drive. A bit later I got a Panasonic 2x Drive (the same one Creative sold), simply because games demanded more speed (7th guest or Rebel Assault).

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 21, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Oh man! That was my first ever CD-Rom drive. Purchased it in Linz from Escom which was a PC super chain back in the days.

It came with an ISA controller card and I very fond memories of that Drive. A bit later I got a Panasonic 2x Drive (the same one Creative sold), simply because games demanded more speed (7th guest or Rebel Assault).

Cool

imho these early cd-rom drives are very "exotic" and interesting

Please don't mention Escom's name here...one of the wankers that ruined Amiga 😜

Reply 16 of 21, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really don't like a lot of the budget drives with proprietary interfaces that shipped with the creative labs CD-ROM bundles. I have a high quality Sony 1X SCSI drive that almost seems to run circles around a Sony 2X proprietary budget drive that was manufactured a few years later.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 17 of 21, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Transfer rate was only 150KB/s for these 1x drives. The choice of interface should have no impact whatsoever, so your experience are quite surprising. Unless that 2x drive had some issues.

I clearly remember when I upgraded to 2x, you did n fact get double the transfer rate. Access time however only improved slowly.

One area where the Mitsumi 1x drive was fantastic, was jumping tracks when listening to a Music CD. It was virtually instantaneous and I never had a drive again that could jump tracks so fast!

A few drives used caddies, a bit of a hassle if you ask me.

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 21, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One area where the Mitsumi 1x drive was fantastic, was jumping tracks when listening to a Music CD. It was virtually instantaneous and I never had a drive again that could jump tracks so fast!

That's something the Sony drive I have (CDU33A, 2x speed) sucks at. Particularly noticable in games like Loom that make extensive use of CD audio. In Loom CD the different notes on the distaff are CD audio tracks so there is a noticable pause of a second or two between each note as the game seeks on the CD ROM drive.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.