VOGONS

Reply 20 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have tested tombraider1 in pure DOS with a voodoo3 AGP card. It worked fine. I assume it would work with the 5500 too, it does have backwards compatibility right?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 21 of 49, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The backward compatibility varies from game to game, and sometimes you have to take follow particular procedures or use particular driver versions to get around issues. Tomb Raider will play just fine with a Voodoo5 5500, but you need to use the Voodoo Rush version (<= not a typo) for 3D acceleration. See the following site for more info:

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#Lara

Reply 22 of 49, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

I was under the impression that newer vga drivers might have problems for older D3D titles, that is why I was messing with gf2/voodoo2 cards...
Plus I must admit that at first a v5500 seemed a stretched out solution but after consideration it seems very nice: no need for a v2 setup and you get both worlds in one speedy card of the time...

You are right regarding the drivers. My GF6800 is already too new for the job. It does run my most important title properly (European Air War), but Star Trek Dominion Wars just fails. Older Drivers don't support the GF6, later drivers fail with european air wars. Only alternative: Use older card.

My Problem with my V5 is its noise.

Reply 23 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ux-3,

Dominion Wars ran on my Radeon X850 in XP. I couldn't believe it! 😁 That game is so incredibly picky about what cards it will even load up on. It ran so wonderfully smooth too, with that GPU and the Athlon 64 X2 in that comp! Bliss.

BTW, I solved Voodoo5 noise. 80mm on 5 volts. Held on with some case fan screws. The other side of the fan conveniently rests on the useless VESA connector. Essentially a free mod. Those VSA-100 chips don't put out much heat but you can't run them fanless with those pathetic 2000-era heatsinks.
voodoo580mm.th.jpg

Which reminds me of my GeForce 3. 😀 I bought an Arctic Cooling Accelero S2 for my barn burner 7300GT AGP, but it wouldn't fit because of the weird layout of that board with its PCIe bridge chip. Then I bought a GF3 and it had a horrid little whiny fan that needed to go.
img2564xm.th.jpg

Reply 24 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

damn, those small heatsinks on the v5500 are glued 🙁
I will replace the 2 fans with scythe ones that I have plenty:

Model Name: Mini Kaze 4cm Silent Fan
Model Number: SY124010L
Dimensions: 40x40x10mm
Fan Speed: 3500rpm(±10%)
Fan Noise: 14.00dBA
Airflow: 4.11CFM

or are they too weak for the v5500?

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 26 of 49, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

damn, those small heatsinks on the v5500 are glued 🙁

Stick it in the freezer for a few hours then pop them off with a flat head screwdriver in one quick motion. 😁

I have a couple V5500s but haven't played with them more then just running a benchie to make sure they worked. Got them a few years ago for 10~15 dollars, now the time to sell one? 🤣

Reply 27 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ok, I will see about the v5500 cooling... 😀 thanks for the input.

as a sidenote , I just tested my 7600GS card on the advacet10T mobo... it works fine, and it is 512MB after all 😀 so v5 would be no problem 😀

Reply 28 of 49, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Dominion Wars ran on my Radeon X850 in XP. I couldn't believe it! 😁 That game is so incredibly picky about what cards it will even load up on. It ran so wonderfully smooth too, with that GPU and the Athlon 64 X2 in that comp! Bliss.

All my attempts to run it on anything past 3dfx have been in vain. It does work on the V3 2000, so perhaps it will run on my V5 5500.

I have decided that Domonion war ist not worth getting a Radeon retro card.

Some other thing: I have gotten a Duron 1800, which might be able to replace my Athlon 1400. Would that make sense?

Reply 29 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ux-3 wrote:

All my attempts to run it on anything past 3dfx have been in vain. It does work on the V3 2000, so perhaps it will run on my V5 5500.

It does work on Voodoo5. I had it working with a GeForce FX 5950. I think it will run on NV TNT thru GeForce FX at least.

It tends to not like ATI cards. The only ATI card I've seen it work on is X850, so maybe other cards from that ATI era would work. Most recent NV and ATI chips won't run it (I think they've stopped supporting something). And Intel GMA 900 wouldn't run it (this chip is pretty good for retro games actually).

I've tried it on many cards over the years. 😀

Reply 30 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

damn SBLive!.... I have a nice retail SB0060 card, (5.1 digital model) and it's breakout with midi in/out... guess what? The moment the sblive drivers get installed, the computer just freezes with a: "windows protection error" . The sblive! is to blame, removing it (or safe mode) works fine... ATM I have installed my WaveForce192XG card... might look at some vortex2 cards soon if someone thinks they are better than my current Yamaha: http://www.hardwarezone.com/reviews/sound/192xg/192xg.htm

Reply 31 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have problems with both Vortex and Live! cards in my 440BX mobo. Also probs with NICs and IDE cards. The PCI bus was still a mess back then. Picky on what goes in each slot and who's sharing IRQs.

Also, XP is better than 9x. I've seen XP be perfectly stable while 9x just freezes up with the same hardware setup. Probably driver or ACPI related.

Reply 33 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am migrating to an i815 mobo (asus TUSL2-C) , waiting to receive it atm...

Reply 34 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

a small update, the SBLive! card works fine on the Advance10T mobo, I removed an ALi USB2 card I was using and all is fine (sometimes during usb transfers the whole system would pause for 15-20sec, that hinted me that this card is trouble...)

EDIT:

it appears SBLive! position DOES matter, if it is in the 1st PCI slot (with no other pci cards before it) everything works just fine... 🤣

Reply 35 of 49, by Canuck805

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, have a VERY similar system(s). Kind of a nerd for the retro games/hardware.

Wanting to get some opinions.

This system is for DOS and older Win98SE era games that use 3dfx.

Specs:
Mobo: DFI CB61
CPU: Socket 370 Celeron (about 500ish MHz I think... can't remember)
Video: Voodoo3 5500 AGP
RAM: 768MB
HDD: 20GB in a removeable tray for Win98SE, 10GB in same tray for DOS.
Sound: AWE64D PCI. VERY rare version.
PSU: Antec Phantom 350 fanless
Other cool stuff: VFX1 virtual reality headset with head tracking for some older era DOS games.

Two questions come to mind:

1. I am a nut for silence. I would like to replace the fans that come on the 3dfx card with ones that'll move more airflow at a slower speed. I bought some Akasa 40x40x25mm fans for this purpose. Then got scared to use them because the power specs and power connectors to the video card were not the same. The default fans are 5v and 0.13Aa. The Akasa fans (DFS402012L) are 12v, 0.8w. I don't know about power... will this kill my videocard?

2. The ISA card for my virtual reality headset has an internal 26 pin VESA connection that needs to be plugged into a 26 pin VESA connection on the videocard. My Voodoo3 5500 has a 26 pin connector on it but I can't find any documentation anywhere that tells me if this is a VESA connection or not.

Any answer, or even pointing me in the right direction on these questions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply 36 of 49, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The default fans are 5v and 0.13Aa. The Akasa fans (DFS402012L) are 12v, 0.8w. I don't know about power... will this kill my videocard?

Running 'em off 5V would make the fans run slower (and maybe not spin at all). Nothing would actually be harmed, unless the fans were running too slow to cool the card adequately. Personally, though, I'd just use an adapter and plug 'em into one of the 4-pin Molexes, so they could run on 12V.

My Voodoo3 5500 has a 26 pin connector on it but I can't find any documentation anywhere that tells me if this is a VESA connection or not.

It is. Whether it's properly implemented, I don't know... you'll just have to try it.

Reply 37 of 49, by Canuck805

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

True.

My only concern is whether if I unplug the fans from the card if this system will boot. In my experience, I've seen some hardware that will refuse to boot if it detects a fan that is unplugged.

I guess that I can try and see what happens.

It'd be preferable if I can plug these fans into a fan controller.

Reply 38 of 49, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I posted, right here in this thread on this very page, a photo of my Voodoo5 5500. It has a 5volted 80mm fan that is not plugged into the card at all.

Sure some fans wont start on 5v, but most will. Test it a few times.

I've never run into a vid card that won't run without a fan connected. Sure some will not go if you don't plug in aux power, but they will still happily cook themselves with a dead fan. Even modern cards are fine with it.

Reply 39 of 49, by Canuck805

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Missed that. A good bit of info.

Ideally, I'd prefer passive cooling... but I'll hookup my Asaka fans to my fan controller and give that a test first.

The current heatsinks on the 5500 are ridiculously skimpy.