VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As topic, name the game + conventional reqs!
for me it is Dangerous Dave 3 , it needs 605,000 bytes of free conventional memory in order to work with sound (570k without).
What others you came across? 😕

Reply 1 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Ultima 7 Part1 and 2 are extremely mem hungry and were a pain to configure back in the days, because they had their own memory manager and that didn't allow for emm386 to be used, so no way to load anything into upper memory (until UMBPCI came around 😀).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know how much they needed exactly but it was probably similar to Dangerous Dave 3, they needed less with disabled sound.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 6 of 10, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Falcon 3.0 is even worse with add-ons. According to Atari's support page, 604 K is required with the Hornet add-on:

http://www.atari.com/support/na/faq/falcon30_pc.asp

Reply 7 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Eh I never had a problem getting enough memory for a game. It was definitely more difficult for people who 1) didn't know how to deal with the boot files 2) had hardware with huge drivers/TSRs. SCSI and certain sound cards (i.e. AWE*) come to mind.

Fighting with config/autoexec were part of the fun though for me. I would just sit around reading ways to get the most from upper memory. In junior high/high school sometimes I would have people print out their boot files and I'd rewrite them with boot menus or whatever while eating lunch in the cafeteria. 😁 It was just another puzzle to solve you know.

Reply 9 of 10, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Zone 66. Amazingly enough, the problems I always had running this game on an old Pentium 120 weren't from my forgetting to disable EMS/XMS - it was the fact that my sound drivers just took too much conventional memory. And, well, without sound, the game wasn't really that enjoyable. =P

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 10 of 10, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lands of Lore; if I remember correctly, 620k if one selected SB Pro for digitized speech&sound FX and GM for music.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)