VOGONS

First post, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am about to complete a retro project, which is to cover the gap between Dosbox emulation and a powerful Win98 machine. Hence it must handle games from late DOS to early Windows 98, incl. glide games. Late DOS is defined as everything that Dosbox can’t handle good and/or fast enough. Games that run nicely under Direct3D and win98 will end up on a faster machine.

I am using an AOPEN MX6B EZ mobo. This is a micro-ATX board with BX chipset, Slot 1 CPU, AGP 2.0 3x pci, 1x shared ISA. The board hast three ram banks. I am currently using 64MB PC-133 Ram. Usually, the board will run with a P2-333, which can be adjusted between 133-450 MHz. The Bios allows control over FSB, multi and ext. cache. Internal cache responds to a small program. So basically, the CPU can be slowed down to a 133 MHz Celeron or worse. This allows to slow it down enough for late DOS games, should the need arise. If more power is desperately needed, the CPU can quickly be swapped for a P3-800.

The mobo comes with the ESS-Solo1 soundchip, which I personally find to be a good SBpro substitute in pure DOS. But since later DOS games do take advantage of the SB16, I’ve installed a CT1770 for sound.

The graphics setup causes me the most trouble. My first choice was a Riva 128 AGP paired with a Voodoo1. This combination was very compatible, but also very slow and limited to low res. After some experimentation, I exchanged the Riva for a Voodoo3 AGP. Both these AGP cards have an excellent reputation for DOS games. The Voodoo3 will power many glide games much faster and in higher res than the Voodoo1. On the other hand, if the voodoo3 can’t handle a game (like Archimedean Dynasty), there is always the voodoo1 to fall back on.

During my research for such a dual voodoo system, I learned that nearly all games that run on a voodoo1 can be made to run on a voodoo2 as well. After I convinced myself with Archimedean Dynasty, I am now wondering if I should rather team a V3 with a v2 or a V3 with a v1. I also have a choice between a V3 2000 AGP and a V3 3000 PCI.

The System uses a Quantum Fireball 3 40GB HDD, which is very quiet! It also has a 6 in 1 multi-panel for quick file transfer using memory cards. The Toshiba DVD-Drive allows for quiet CD and DVD access. I have not yet decided if I stick in a 100mbit low profile network card – that would cost me the last free pci slot.

Constructive comments are welcome.

Reply 3 of 9, by carangil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 'gap' machine isn't quite as powerful, but it's also Voodoo 3 powered. I think the '3' was the best in balance for performance and compatibility for the late 90's. Voodoo 4/5 I hear breaks some older stuff.

I'm running:

-AMD K6-2 450 Mhz (I might want to get a k6-III 550 if I can find one)
-Voodoo 3 16MB
-Win 98 SE
-320 MB RAM (I might want to bump this up to 512MB)
-4GB compactflash as hard disk (small, I know, but most of the stuff on here mostly plays from CD, and CF should last 'near forever' as long as the system doesn't write too much (which it won't... only save game files, with wear leveling it should last many more years than a hard disk) (paging to disk is disabled, 320MB of addressable memory is plenty for the stuff I run on it) )
-And it's all in an old AT case that says '286' on the front. I've been running this computer for over 10 years! 18 years if you count back to when it actually was a 286!

This runs late DOS 3d stuff in software rendering very smoothly:

Terminal Velocity, Duke 3D, Descent I/II, ROTT, Tomb Raider I, Quake, all very smooth

Runs DOS glide: Descent II, Tomb Raider I

Runs most '20th century' pre-year 2000 windows 9x games.
Older stuff like Quake I, II, Tomb Raider 2-Chronicles run very smooth.

Things newer than Quake III run too slow. Maybe for a similar system, keep the same Voodoo 3, but use a Pentium-III, and things will really fly. I'm considering just swapping my K6-II 450 for a K6-III 550, and get a little boost.

Reply 5 of 9, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carangil wrote:
I'm running: […]
Show full quote

I'm running:

-AMD K6-2 450 Mhz (I might want to get a k6-III 550 if I can find one)
-Voodoo 3 16MB
-Win 98 SE
-320 MB RAM (I might want to bump this up to 512MB)

Thanks for your reply. You don't mention the mobo you use. Maybe you know this already, but many SuperSocket7 Boards do have a rather small L2 cachable area. I myself have a K6-2 500 which came in a board that can only cache 64 MB. Once you put in more ram, performance drops significantly. I suggest you check out how much cachable ram you have. An easy method would be to run 3dmark 99 on 64MB, 128MB and 256MB Ram. If the score caves in, you know when you are outside your L2 cacheable area!

Reply 6 of 9, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

CTCM7R detects the L2 Cacheable Area rather reliable.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
carangil wrote:

My 'gap' machine isn't quite as powerful, but it's also Voodoo 3 powered. I think the '3' was the best in balance for performance and compatibility for the late 90's. Voodoo 4/5 I hear breaks some older stuff.

So does Voodoo3. Avenger and VSA-100 are not really that different, since they come from the same Banshee architecture. As general rule of thumb; if it runs on Voodoo3, then there's a very good chance it will run on Voodoo5 as well.

If you want to play early GLide games but also want better performance than Voodoo1, then your best bet is Voodoo2, since it can be "coerced" to act like its predecessor with certain SST variables.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 8 of 9, by Super Smash Bros. Fan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are they making an emulator that can run all DOS and some Windows 98 games? Awesome, hope that they can squeeze in Windows 95 in too! I really want to play Bug! on my computer.

Huge gamer going into classic PC gaming. Gaming since 1999!

Reply 9 of 9, by ux-3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

As general rule of thumb; if it runs on Voodoo3, then there's a very good chance it will run on Voodoo5 as well.

If you want to play early GLide games but also want better performance than Voodoo1, then your best bet is Voodoo2, since it can be "coerced" to act like its predecessor with certain SST variables.

I have just noted that a V1, V2 and V3 can coexist in one PC. I would expect this to hold true for a V5 as well. From various readings, there are hardly any games left, that can't be made to run on a V2 instead of a V1.