BX440 BIOS trouble

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 42, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

interesting notes about ESR Old Thrashbarg... will keep it in mind

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41 of 42, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's the thing a lot of people don't realize about the VRMs on newer boards, both for the CPU and for RAM. The capacitance and voltage ratings generally don't matter much, it's the ESR that's actually critical. It just so happens that physically larger capacitors naturally have lower ESR, and the larger electrolytics are still cheaper than the ultra-low ESR polymer types, so it ends up with many boards having these huge capacitors with massively overkill capacitance and voltage ratings, just for the purpose of getting a low enough ESR in there the cheapest way possible.

In reality, 560uf, 4V polymer capacitors would be about ideal for the output side of a PIII VRM... the downside is that they're a bit pricey, probably not something you'd want to spend on a random 10 year old motherboard, when regular electrolytics will do the job satisfactorily.

As for replacing caps, like I said, don't do any of that crap like soldering to old broken-off legs, but beyond that, make sure to get the new caps as flat against the board surface as possible... you don't want any gap between the bottom of the can and the motherboard, because even something as seemingly minor as that, can have an ill effect.

Reply 42 of 42, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just tried the PIII 1ghz SL52R, no trouble entering the BIOS
My theory was right, the SL4C9 hates my BX133 board, hehe

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327