VOGONS

Reply 20 of 50, by DOS_Boy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first multimedia Kit I had installed on my 486 was an "Audiowave Green Platinum 16" Does anyone remember this sound card brand?

"But listen to me brother, you just keep on walking, 'cause you and me and sister ain't got nothing to hide..." - Scatman John

Reply 21 of 50, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

my one slot 1 system i jammed slocket in it and fc-pga tp fc-pga 2 adapter on that and a 1.4 ghz cpu in that and am going to see if i can max it at 768 mb ram. wow already runs at 20 fps mwhahahaha for pc from 1995 thats pretty damn good.

Reply 23 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

my one slot 1 system i jammed slocket in it and fc-pga tp fc-pga 2 adapter on that and a 1.4 ghz cpu in that and am going to see if i can max it at 768 mb ram. wow already runs at 20 fps mwhahahaha for pc from 1995 thats pretty damn good.

Uhhh, that's more like a PC from 2001 actually. With a good vid card that thing will tear up Quake 3 and UT and just about any 3D game from those days.

Last edited by swaaye on 2009-05-14, 18:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 24 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

worst thing i ever did was build a k6-2 350mhz pc it was unstable as f***, i eventually got a p2 thank god

Tell me about it. I went with a P2 266 when they were new and it cost a ton of money but you got what you paid for compared to the pain in the ass AMD K6 line. Bad performance, horrible motherboards. They were ok if you weren't going to be doing much 3D gaming, I suppose. I've spent many an hour tweaking K6-2 and 3 and they never fail to disappoint. 😀 The inherent instability of the platform is the real killer.

Reply 25 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DOS_Boy wrote:

The first multimedia Kit I had installed on my 486 was an "Audiowave Green Platinum 16" Does anyone remember this sound card brand?

Sounds like a generic name made up for a pack-in card.

Reply 26 of 50, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

best problem i had was windows 95 osr2 didnt work with the k6-2 of course i only found that out several months later reading a computer magazine. ms released a patch but having no internet back then it took me another 3 months to find someone who would download it for me, but even then it was still unstable
funny enough my mate had the same problems he decided to switch to win2000 and he said it was rock solid under that o/s

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 27 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I remember that Win95 patch. It's needed if you want to use a >= 300 MHz K6-x with Win95. Otherwise the OS breaks. Fortunately Win98 was right around the corner. But, so was the worst part of the K6 era: AGP slots on Super 7 mobos.

Reply 28 of 50, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Salient wrote:

I have scanned a couple of specific sound card tests from old(er) dutch magazines, namely Personal Computer Magazine and Computer!Totaal.
If anyone is interested, here they are:CLICK

Ik zal ze met interesse doorlezen, dank je! (Will read them with interest, thank you)

Reply 29 of 50, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the mother board in the dell r350 started in 95 that's why it refuses to boot any p3's well actually because of the voltage controller but the slocket takes care of that. i think it came out 97 98. but i saw reviews of people still buying them in 00 and 01. 😀 btw i also dropped in a gefore 9400 pci card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?It … N82E16814187057

mmmmwwwuahahaha 😈

Reply 30 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Pentium II = 1997. Pentium III = 1999. Your Dell is probably from 1998 since it had a Pentium II 350 MHz which is a Deschutes-core Pentium II.

1995 was the time of Socket 5 and Pentium @ 120/133 MHz.

Reply 31 of 50, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the info so then after 2000 pc performance skyrocketed as far as advancement rates at least in the past 8 or 9 nines years. At least it seems that to me.

Reply 32 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:

Thanks for the info so then after 2000 pc performance skyrocketed as far as advancement rates at least in the past 8 or 9 nines years. At least it seems that to me.

Not at much of a different rate than previously. The '90s were much more exciting than this decade IMO. We went from 486 with VGA/EGA and very limited audio to a 1GHz P3/Athlon with 3D acceleration and CD-quality audio. If anything, tangible progress has slowed a lot.

Reply 33 of 50, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Indeed, I remember in the '90s there was a lot more reason to upgrade a PC system every few years. Both the software and the hardware became obviously more practical. Compared to that; Currently at home and at work there is very little reason to replace software and hardware from around 2004.

Reply 35 of 50, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just found this, I don't know this magazine, but the way google set this up makes it very easy to search and page through the issues.
Google books: Info world magazine

Reply 38 of 50, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I really don't have good memories of PC hardware from 1995-1999. Good riddance. I'd be a richer man had I not been such a sucker for marketing back then.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium