VOGONS

Korg Midi Daughterboards

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Normally I would be interested, If I did not already have one and another similar one... anyways its sold already I see.
PS: ebay france item 270328047552, that should be a Guillemot Maxi Sound 64 Home Studio for 1 Euro 😀 . Again I won't go for it myself.

Reply 22 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's one of the latest high-end ISA sound cards. somewhat similar to the terratec EWS 64 XL, as it is also based on the Crystal cs-4236 chip. it has an integrated opl-3 clone. SBPRO/WSS compatible in real dos. waveblaster connector. Default 'Dream' GS sample set preview and board layout here: http://www.dosforum.de/soundcards/
In theory a very good card IMHO, except that the opl3 and dream synth are not genuine yamaha/roland.

Reply 23 of 56, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

It's one of the latest high-end ISA sound cards. somewhat similar to the terratec EWS 64 XL, as it is also based on the Crystal cs-4236 chip. it has an integrated opl-3 clone. SBPRO/WSS compatible in real dos. waveblaster connector. Default 'Dream' GS sample set preview and board layout here: http://www.dosforum.de/soundcards/
In theory a very good card IMHO, except that the opl3 and dream synth are not genuine yamaha/roland.

Hmmmmm...might give that one a shot! 😀
Speaking of terratec ews 64 xl, here's one! 180317488997 (ebay) Looks quite impressive...front drive bay panel thingy too! 😮
PS - what's this one? 320330810012 The seller has amusingly called it a "6", because the number 6 has been written on the PCB! 🤣

Reply 24 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ebay does not return any result on the EWS-64 number, but I know what it is anyway. I like the guillemot better though, for all the relevant features are on the board.
the second ebay item, the 6 😀, it is an analag devices chip, probably next to an opti chip, said to be from turtle beach. propably one of these:

Turtle Beach MonteCarlo 928 - OPTi 82c928a
Turtle Beach MonteCarlo 929 or Tropez Classic - OPTi 82c929a
Turtle Beach TBS-930 (TBS-810 4x/6600 6x/8800 8x CD ROM kits) - OPTi 82c930a
Turtle Beach TBS-931 (TBS-810 4x/6600 6x/8800 8x CD ROM kits) - OPTi 82c931a

http://flickr.com/photos/58305806@N00/455591587

Reply 25 of 56, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

The newer version (has SC8600 V2.0 printed on the board) is ESS 1868F based.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 26 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a shame, From what I have read crystal 423x chips on a good board can compete with the best on SNR, whilst ESS cards are measured to often give poor sound quality. (note: I currenly only own a terratec cs4232 based card, and it sounds flawless.)

On a second look, how to fit a full size waveblaster daughterboard together with RAM on the guillemot card? It won't fit. Just as with these yamaha opl3-sax based soundcards.

Reply 27 of 56, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looking, or should I say squinting at that 'French photo', do you think it could be based on the newer inferior ESS chipset, or is it impossible to say?

Also, whilst we are talking about old ISA based soundcards, is the Yamaha SW20PC card any good for DOS games?

One final thought for today: wavetable daughterboards...Yamaha ones appear on ebay once a week or so, Roland ones once every six months. How come? Were the Roland ones fearfully expensive when they were released?

Thanks for you comments! 😀

Reply 28 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card on ebay: the important chip seems to have a faint 'crystal'-style logo.

SW20PC Sound Edge, never heard of it before, but I googled up these specs:
ISA, OPTi 928 / CS-4231, SBPro / WSS, OPL4 2MB ROM
So far so good... An opl-4 is still on my wish list. do you have a picture of such a card? (wonder if these were offered before or after their opl3-sax line of cards)

About point three, don't know... wasn't the DB50XG cheaper and hyped/advertised more?

Reply 29 of 56, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote:

The card on ebay: the important chip seems to have a faint 'crystal'-style logo.

Awesome. My 1 euro bid wasn't wasted then! 🤣

gerwin wrote:

SW20PC Sound Edge, never heard of it before, .... do you have a picture of such a card?

Hehehe, I've got one somewhere. I haven't tested it yet. No idea where it is - I'm snowed under with junk ATM! I'm not exactly sure why I bought it! 🤣

gerwin wrote:

About point three, don't know... wasn't the DB50XG cheaper and hyped/advertised more?

OK. 😀
Thanks for the info! 😁

Reply 30 of 56, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

@gerwin,

I am testing a daughterboard which is identical to the one featured in your original post; 2nd photo - the Korg "XTOP 005".

I think mine may be defective. It is mounted on an 8-bit Roland MPU-401 card. I have a 16-bit SoundBlaster in the next ISA slot on the mobo. The MSEL jumper on this SoundBlaster has been opened, to set this card's MPU port to 300. The Roland card is operating on the 330 port address, which I think it is "hard-wired" to do.

The problem is that some (not all, but some) of the sound coming from the Korg's midi output sounds muffled. It's a bit like playing a very old cassette, when you hear muffled poor quality sound, with cassette-like "drop outs". But, and this is interesting, this poor sound quality only occurs on approximately one of the midi music "tracks". Most of the music seems to play "cleanly/correctly". But there seems to be one "track" that plays poorly. It sounds like either the drum/percussion, or perhaps some kind of "special sound effects" "track".

I swapped out this Korg DB for a Roland SCB-55 DB, and reran my test game: Descent 2, level 2. This sounded fine, no problems at all. So, with this basic test done, it seems there may be a fault with the Korg daughterboard's ability to play *all* the midi song's tracks cleanly/correctly.

Any thoughts please? Thanks a lot. 😀

Edit: I wonder if this extra info might be useful - The MPU-401 win98 driver was the default driver from the win98 CD. My test game, "Descent 2", was run from windows 98 as it uses DirectX 2.

Edit 2 (solved) I seem to have answered my own question. I removed both the Roland MPU-401 card, and it's associated windows 98 driver, and mounted the Korg DB on the SoundBlaster card. I re-ran the Descent 2 test, and the midi music sounds fine. Perhaps the default win98 MPU driver is not functioning correctly?

Reply 31 of 56, by aleksej

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Silent Loon wrote:

Apart of my bad japanese 😉 this is a very interesting site, that could help identifing wavetable daughterboards: http://wavetable.web.fc2.com/

I used the google translator, it's okay if you just want to know the specs.

Maybe there is somebody here who really speaks japanese.

Another japanese link with various daughterboards found here.

Reply 32 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting Link, again with many DB's I have never seen before.

The scanner was put to use this evening, to make some images of hardware I obtained somewhat recently: Here is a Terratec MiniWaveSystem 1MB GM/GS. Not too bad, but certain instruments sound a bit crippled, probably as to make it fit the 1MB Rom. This DB came with a Terratec Gold 16/96 host card, which is based on a 'ESS 1868 F' Chipset. I could not find an image of the Gold-16/96 on the net earlier, so lets add it too.
Also it came packed with a small chocolate teddybear, but I ate that one 😀

Attachments

• gold1696_s.jpg
    Filename
    gold1696_s.jpg
    File size
    104.59 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Terratec Gold 16/96
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • miniwave_s.jpg
    Filename
    miniwave_s.jpg
    File size
    82.83 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Terratec MiniWaveSystem 1MB GM/GS
    File license

Reply 33 of 56, by akula65

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I finally got a decent digital camera. Here are front and back photos of the Media Vision Korg Wavetable card.

Attachments

• Filename
    MV_Pro_Wavetable_Front.jpg
    File size
    141.2 KiB
    Downloads
    517 downloads
    File comment
    Media Vision Pro Wave Daughterboard - Front
    650-0120-01 Rev D
    File license
  • Filename
    MV_Pro_Wavetable_Back.jpg
    File size
    96.67 KiB
    Downloads
    510 downloads
    File comment
    Media Vision Pro Wave Daughterboard - Back
    650-0120-01 Rev D
    File license

Reply 35 of 56, by kira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, looks like i have Korg KLM-1911, but not marketed as I-O Data. Same as KLM-1911 from the above link but without I-O Data sticker in top-left. Maybe original Korg product? In box with manuals, all in japan hieroglyphs. Only words in english on the box is "Korg Audio Gallery. Wavetable Board For Windows".

Hi,

I am a webmaster of this site.
http://wavetable.web.fc2.com/

Korg KLM-1911 was sold as the optional board of Korg NS5R from Korg.
If Korg KLM-1911 installs to Korg NS5R, the polyphony of Korg NS5R increases from 64 voices to 96 voices.

In Japan, Korg KLM-1911 was also sold from I-O DATA.
Product name sold from I-O DATA is "I-O DATA MIDI-KG/EX".
"I-O DATA MIDI-KG/EX" was sold not as the optional board of Korg NS5R but as the optional board of the sound cards installing the WaveBLASTER connector.
The sticker of "I-O DATA MIDI-KG/EX" is pasted only to the board sold from I-O DATA.

Reply 37 of 56, by kira

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I want to know about a company "X technology" that manufactured "Top Wave 32".
If you know about "X technology", please tell me anything about "X technology".
And, if you know the homepage of "X technology", please tell me the homepage address.

Reply 38 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I do have the paper manual to go with that midi daughterboard lying at home. But I won't be at home anytime soon, so that is not helping.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 39 of 56, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok, I took the time to scan part of the Topwave 32 manual. Only the interesting parts. It is an nice read, but I am afraid it doesn't give much company information on X-Technology.

Attachments

• Filename
    topwave32.zip
    File size
    1.19 MiB
    Downloads
    583 downloads
    File comment
    Part of the X-Technology Topwave 32 Midi Daughterboard manual. (scanned 150dpi, GIF)
    File license

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul