Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 9021 of 52976, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

2x Xeon E5320 - total 8 cores of Core2 architecture @ 1,86 GHz
Far from the best 771 Xeons... but for $21 it was really good deal.
2xeonaly7r.jpg

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 9022 of 52976, by hard1k

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To proudly celebrate the 9024th post I've finally got an Aureal SQ3500 Turbo 😀
It's still at Shipito warehouse waiting to be consolidated, so the pictures will come later (in a month or so).
But I am happier than ever to get that jewel to my collection!

Fortex, the A3D & XG/OPL3 accelerator (Vortex 2 + YMF744 combo sound card)
AWE64 Legacy
Please have a look at my wishlist (hosted on Amibay)

Reply 9023 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got... CANOPUS (NOT Cannabis)? Freshly imported...

NVIDIA Geforce2 GTS - Canopus Spectra 8400 32MB AGP
SfvHcE.jpg

NVIDIA Geforce2 MX400 - Canopus Spectra F11 SSH Type-D 32MB AGP
svyuNW.jpg

NVIDIA Geforce4 MX460 - Canopus Spectra WF17 64 MB AGP
kRf2PK.jpg

NVIDIA Geforce256 - Canopus Spectra 7400 DDR SSH Type-D 32MB AGP (1999)
0k25EK.jpg

NVIDIA RivaTNT - Canopus Spectra 2500 16MB AGP (1999) 😎 😎
5b7OA7.jpg

NVIDIA RivaTNT2 - Canopus Spectra 5400 R2 SSH Type-D 32MB AGP (1999)
qztYoS.jpg

NVIDIA RivaTNT2 Ultra - Canopus Spectra 5400 PE SSH Type-D 32MB AGP (1999)
G54ZyH.jpg

... and a Banshee for good measure

3DFX Voodoo Banshee - Diamond Monster Fusion (Z100) 16MB AGP (Tank Artwork) (Boxed - JAP) (1999)
5aUs0f.jpg

Last edited by Artex on 2015-09-17, 21:21. Edited 2 times in total.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9025 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
alexanrs wrote:

These Canopus cards look great! What are all those jumpers for? You don't usually see them on AGP cards.

This is a Canopus feature, and I believe they have to do with filtering the video output to get the best results on different types of monitors.

EDIT: I'm correct. Found a reference here: http://assets.hardwarezone.com/2009/reviews/v … tra-5400pe.html
"Somewhere near the start of the AGP interface, you'll find two rows of colorful jumpers (red, green, blue), "now what could that be?", you might ask. It's a Dual Filter System (DFS). To allow the best performance on a variety of monitors, the Fine Filter was developed and this is the default setting. Another filter called the Super-fine filter was developed to ensure the best performance on high-end monitors exceeding 21-inches. That's quite thoughtful of Canopus! In my opinion with the default Fine-filter with my Sony-17" seems a tad brighter/crisper than a normal TNT2. Some of you may or may not notice the difference but I certainly do."

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9026 of 52976, by brassicGamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jedah550 wrote:

Hi everyone!
Long time lurker and first time post.

Bought this today:

That is one hell of a debut. And...

INSANELY JEALOUS!

Check out my blog and YouTube channel for thoughts, articles, system profiles, and tips.

Reply 9028 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RacoonRider wrote:

Oh those shiny cannabis cards 😀 Why do they use a daughterboard for D-SUB connector? Does it house some filter as well?

From that same article:
The next interesting item is a separate elevated piece of PCB connected to the DB-15 monitor connector. This is the Signal-Super-Highway (SSH). To maintain optimum image quality, the display information signals are kept isolated all the way from the TNT2's video DAC to final analog output. This advanced isolation and micostrip-line circuitry allows crucial impedance adjustments, ensuring a pure and perfect signal output. This could be another reason why I feel there's slight improvement in my windows environment. I'm sure such innovations will go to show more difference in output quality for users with large monitors running 1600x1200 resolution or there-about. This SSH shown here only has a DB-15 monitor connector and is named as SSH Type-D. This Type-D can be unscrewed and replaced by two other optional SSH versions (purchased separately) to cater to various needs. This is extremely clever of Canopus! Not only did they isolate the display signal by using the separate elevated SSH but also used this design to their advantage and made it exchangeable with other SSH types"

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9029 of 52976, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is extremely clever of Canopus!

Faper. 😀
Imho, the PCB output was just the trendy idea and have died very fast.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 9030 of 52976, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gamecollector wrote:

This is extremely clever of Canopus!

Faper. 😀
Imho, the PCB output was just the trendy idea and have died very fast.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Kind of subjective to say the least. Still kinda neat/different from other manufacturers.

LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 9032 of 52976, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:

Don't let any Rasta near them 🤣

Canopus cards are very pretty.

Djar Mon.... 😁
Hope they won't give up that magic smoke. 🤣

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 9033 of 52976, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not my pics but I bought a Creative PC-DVD Encore still brand new and sealed for $10 at a local thrift store.

$_57 (9).JPG
Filename
$_57 (9).JPG
File size
331.86 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

A K6-III+ 450

$_57 (11).JPG
Filename
$_57 (11).JPG
File size
123.5 KiB
Views
File license

Some PCI Quadro 100NVS video cards to play with, they look promising. NV17 core

$_57 (10).JPG
Filename
$_57 (10).JPG
File size
148.58 KiB
Views
File license

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 9034 of 52976, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice stuff. Wish I had a thrift store or something like that, but what can you do.

Didn't get much stuff lately, but a few bits:

- Cordless drill kit (drill, battery, charger, bits and drills) so I can some modding with switches and buttons
- 3 piece kit of step drills for the same reason
- Two FSB 533 Pentium 4 processors for a SIS chipset FSB 533 motherboard I'm waiting for

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 9035 of 52976, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am tempted to open the Creative PC-DVD Encore...

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 9036 of 52976, by HighTreason

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

nokia-bl-5c-battery.jpg

To keep my 1100 alive for a few more years. Don't really want to get a new phone to be honest, I like this one. It does what I need it to do and it does it well. May also replace the casing on the phone because the original is pretty beat up and replacement parts are still abundant and cheap. Ah, the advantages of owning the still best selling phone of all time.

I wonder if I could replace the backlight? It would look kinda cool with blue or yellow as opposed to that crappy ATM-Display-type Green color.

My Youtube - My Let's Plays - SoundCloud - My FTP (Drivers and more)

Reply 9037 of 52976, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
HighTreason wrote:
http://www.nokiabreak.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/nokia-bl-5c-battery.jpg […]
Show full quote

nokia-bl-5c-battery.jpg

To keep my 1100 alive for a few more years. Don't really want to get a new phone to be honest, I like this one. It does what I need it to do and it does it well. May also replace the casing on the phone because the original is pretty beat up and replacement parts are still abundant and cheap. Ah, the advantages of owning the still best selling phone of all time.

I wonder if I could replace the backlight? It would look kinda cool with blue or yellow as opposed to that crappy ATM-Display-type Green color.

I kept an old Audiovox CDM-9500 kicking around until around 2013, when Verizon suddenly forced me to upgrade due to my phone "no longer being up to date". The worst part was that I had just replaced the antennae as well as the body/buttons and bought a brand new Chinese battery in 2011 so it felt like a brand new phone again 🙁

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 9038 of 52976, by alexanrs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah.. the 1100. That phone is absurdly very solid. To this day I still wonder how my brother managed to break one of those.
I dare say it was not the sturdiest one I've ever seen, though. The old TDMA Nokia 5170 I got after my mother bought a newer phone was much sturdier... It even managed to survive my step father after I got another phone... and I don't even think it died, my step father had to move on once he was forced to switch to a GSM plan.

Reply 9039 of 52976, by jedah550

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
keropi wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

[...]
In what system did you test the LAPC, by the way? I remember something about +5V rail on the PSU, but can't remember how does it exactly matter.

LAPC-I is one of the cards that needs -5v on the ISA bus , if the PSU does not provide it then it's silent 😀

That just saved me from complete depression! Thank you!
(had to change the case, since the card didn't fit.. thought I'd just keep the power supply from the new case... and you were right: no sound! (well, actually, I could hear everything hard drive/mouse movement). Good thing I remembered what you mentionned about the -5V thing.. sure enough, that new power supply didn't provide that.

So again, Thanks to both of you 😁